New Maryland laws effective October 1, 2015

steppinthrax

All of the info and documentation says that they can't live under the same roof during the separation; however, I also know someone who satisfied the one year separation based on not having had sex even though they still lived together.

Depends ultimately on the judge and you're documentation. As soon as you have SEX, the clock resets. Also the judge may simply disagree, or find it hard to believe.

It would be much easier to have a separate address. Come-on a cheap studio somewhere on the outskirts of PG, closer to DC!!

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Depends ultimately on the judge and you're documentation. As soon as you have SEX, the clock resets. Also the judge may simply disagree, or find it hard to believe.

It would be much easier to have a separate address. Come-on a cheap studio somewhere on the outskirts of PG, closer to DC!!

You sound like you already have your exit strategy down pat! Married life in the 'burbs gettin' to ya? :coffee:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Actually, they can "live apart" within the same house as long as they don't have sex during the 1 year period. Saw a divorce granted a number of years ago (St. Mary's) while awaiting my turn before the judge. The lady (that was granted the final decree) had a witness that testified to the "in home" separation, apparently she installed a dead-bolt on her bedroom door, a notarized statement from her husband saying they hadn't had sex, and the judge allowed it.

I know several people who had to endure this. For various reasons they had to share the residence, each case was different, but in each case it was not a very pleasant year. Trust me, if there had been a marriage to save they would have.

The one thing that should come with age is wisdom, one thing I notice on here is either people are very young are have not come to grasp the simple fact that nothing is every simple or easy. No two situations are alike and if your life has been blessed by perfection, then I'm happy for you. But not all of us have been as fortunate, sometimes it's just bad timing - like buying a stock right before the bottom falls out of the market. You are not the master of your life, sometimes you can't avoid the duce people lay at your feet.

Last edited: