New Port Poll

Are you for or against this new port thingy

• Yes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Maybe, wait and see

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Have no clue on any new port concept in the news lately.

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
B

Bruzilla

I guess another reason that I'm for this deal is there's a good chance the new management will void the union contacts for the workers, and workers will have to compete for their jobs. If these jobs are like other union jobs, the choice spots are taken up by deadbeats who read the newspaper for $100 an hour while some poor slob making $15 an hour does all the heavy lifting.

I watched the steel unions wreck Pittsburgh, so maybe it's a good thing that these jobs will be non-union.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Bru...

Bruzilla said:
I guess another reason that I'm for this deal is there's a good chance the new management will void the union contacts for the workers, and workers will have to compete for their jobs. If these jobs are like other union jobs, the choice spots are taken up by deadbeats who read the newspaper for $100 an hour while some poor slob making $15 an hour does all the heavy lifting.

I watched the steel unions wreck Pittsburgh, so maybe it's a good thing that these jobs will be non-union.

That's a seperate issue and, from what I've read, the UAE gave assurances and it has been their practice in prior aquisitions to not change very much at all, including the basic labor structure.

I may be wrong about this though because I saw clips last night of union folks demonstrating at numerous ports against the new ownership.

Is it possible that the media and our fumbling President are leaving out yet ever more details?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
There's no "new concept." I'm against having Arab holdings associated with anything in the U.S. That has little to do with our national security, but it has everything to do with the Saudis giving me a personal demonstration of the strength of their alliance with us.

So I didn't vote in the poll, I'm sorry, Dems. The port management company has changed hands for the worse, but it won't worsten an already untenable security situation. If somebody wants to send us a CONEX box full of dirty bomb, they can and will, with an uncomfortably good chance of success.

As for the union/non-union issue, longshoremen and related jobs fall under the teamster's union, a.k.a. the AFL-CIO.

Last edited: