New Rec Center??

DogWhisperer

It appears we'll be getting a new "rec center".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

It appears we'll be getting a new "rec center".
They mispelled it. "Wreck Center". And as a bonus "Handgun Practice Area" for the ferals.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They mispelled it. "Wreck Center". And as a bonus "Handgun Practice Area" for the ferals.

See, that's the problem and why you all can't have nice things. The skating rink was a crime hub, as was the youth center over on Chancellor's Run. Not sure why this was allowed to happen because it seems a simple thing to have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to drugs and fighting, but there we are.

Grumpy

See, that's the problem and why you all can't have nice things. The skating rink was a crime hub, as was the youth center over on Chancellor's Run. Not sure why this was allowed to happen because it seems a simple thing to have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to drugs and fighting, but there we are.
Zero tolerance doesn't work when the bubble kids are involved.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I like this comment.

"What the hell? The county is financially forking over 72.8% of the project and it will not be owned, or operated, by the county? How is it ok to give millions away of taxpayer dollars to/for a private entity? Or to lease the land to a private organization when the county is essentially building the darn thing on its own property? Unbelievable."

At least Todd Morgan saw the writing on the wall.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Is it really government's responsibility to provide any type of recreation? Imagine the money that could be saved...
Inorite?? That was what our gazillion bars were for. Talk about unintended consequences....

Reactions: TPD

PeoplesElbow

Is it really government's responsibility to provide any type of recreation? Imagine the money that could be saved...
Not responsibility, but city (and I suppose county) governments often do. What I don't get is the number of people here (its a lot), these type of things are fewer and the taxes are more than my home town. My hometown has 10,000 people, has an indoor pool, at least six baseball diamonds of different size, and indoor rock climbing wall. I guess it doesn't have a very big firehall, overturned fire trucks and fancy police stations to pay for.

I see this as a problem of not having town governments to handle this sort of thing, you are stuck with the bigger county government paying for things that people in the hood want, but the folks of ridge dont care about.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
This is the first place my Mrs. and I have lived that did not have municipalities.

glhs837

Power with Control
This is the first place my Mrs. and I have lived that did not have municipalities.

Daughter and her girlfriend recently moved to MA. Daughters interning for the city of Chelmsford. While chatting, she mentioned how odd it felt that every piece of land was part of a city or town... :) These hard borders are not what she grew up with :)

Grumpy

Daughter and her girlfriend recently moved to MA. Daughters interning for the city of Chelmsford.
:lol: I've been there...

ducks.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control

Now that makes me nostalgic. Where we lived in Waltham except for summers as the campground in Westford was a 10 minute walk away from the Wal-Lex, which had mini-golf, a bowling alley and a roller rink. Spent a huge amount of hours as a kid. for $2, you could get two hours of skating, two rounds on mini golf, and two rounds of bowling.

Hey, those are duckpins, not candlepins!!!! :) Abomination!!!!! :)

PeoplesElbow

Now that makes me nostalgic. Where we lived in Waltham except for summers as the campground in Westford was a 10 minute walk away from the Wal-Lex, which had mini-golf, a bowling alley and a roller rink. Spent a huge amount of hours as a kid. for $2, you could get two hours of skating, two rounds on mini golf, and two rounds of bowling.

Hey, those are duckpins, not candlepins!!!! :) Abomination!!!!! :)
Candlepin is much harder.

SamSpade

Daughter and her girlfriend recently moved to MA. Daughters interning for the city of Chelmsford. While chatting, she mentioned how odd it felt that every piece of land was part of a city or town... :) These hard borders are not what she grew up with :)
Lived there many years - towns are how they function - ask a person what COUNTY they live in - where they may have lived all their life - and they might not know. But they know exactly where the town line is and the entire county is partitioned into towns with no "gaps" where there's no town. It can be weird - for instance, there's a road going to Woburn from Lexington called - Woburn Street. Because it goes to Woburn.

Until you cross the town LINE. Then it suddenly becomes Lexington St - because surprise, it's the road to Lexington. That happens all over the Boston area. And the numbers on the street renumber, which can be confusing if you're delivering things - like I did. And it often happens the ROAD itself is different, because the town will repair or pave the road (or in winter - plow the snow to the town line - but no further).

To be honest - I know that most of THIS county is partitioned into towns or what have you - but people really aren't sure where the lines are, because there's no "identity". I have to go on Zillow and look at the lines to be sure.

mitzi

Why does everything close to kids/early teens? Thinking back on the places I took mine, they've been long gone. They only operated for a few years and were always crowded. They had the business. The ones that stand out to me are the skating rink, Hyperspace, skating on Friday evenings at Leonard Hall, and others I can't think of right now.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Massachusetts has had "hard" boundaries since the early 19th century.
My hometown of West Springfield was settled in 1635 and incorporated in 1774.
Since 1774, 2 towns were spun off, Agawam in 1855 and Holyoke in 1850.

As I recall, Massachusetts has 351 municipalities.
The county governments have very little authority save for the Sherriff, Courts and jails.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Candlepin is much harder.
I miss candlepin.
My dad Stewart and his brother Edward bowled in the same Friday night league for close to 40 years.
Dad was a southpaw, uncle Ed was ambidextrous.
They were also a pitcher (Ed) and catcher (dad) team for decades in baseball (started in Little League) and softball (when they were adults).