New Restaurant in Jaspers Building

We're going there tonight for dinner and looking forward to trying it. :yay:

Bann and I just had this discussion a few days ago, how some people will dog a restaurant that others think is terrific. You have to take the person dogging into consideration. If they're someone who raves about Appleby's and posts about all the macaroni and cheese and tuna casserole they eat, they're not going to enjoy a restaurant that doesn't serve that type of food. The person who thinks dumping a can of mushroom soup over pork chops is great home cooking isn't the type of person who's going to enjoy a place like Elements.

Not to bust on peoples' taste in food - they like what they like - but you have to take that into consideration when they're giving a restaurant review.
:yeahthat: My two weeks of dining in San Francisco made me realize that I had absolutely no desire to use up my food per diem at restaurants that charged an arm and a leg to creatively plop something in the middle of a plate and draw designs with 'fansy' sauces.

I read reviews from folks that like that stuff in order to determine which local restaurants to avoid.

mydoghasfleas

:yeahthat: My two weeks of dining in San Francisco made me realize that I had absolutely no desire to use up my food per diem at restaurants that charged an arm and a leg to creatively plop something in the middle of a plate and draw designs with 'fansy' sauces.

I read reviews from folks that like that stuff in order to determine which local restaurants to avoid.

Remember that time we picnic'ed on radishes and Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill?? That was awesome.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
restaurants that charged an arm and a leg to creatively plop something in the middle of a plate and draw designs with 'fansy' sauces.

Ugh, I hate chit like that. I'd rather have something off the food truck than pay that kind of money for edible art, especially when 9 times out of 10 it looks way better than it tastes.

sockgirl77

Bann and I just had this discussion a few days ago, how some people will dog a restaurant that others think is terrific. You have to take the person dogging into consideration. If they're someone who raves about Appleby's and posts about all the macaroni and cheese and tuna casserole they eat, they're not going to enjoy a restaurant that doesn't serve that type of food. The person who thinks dumping a can of mushroom soup over pork chops is great home cooking isn't the type of person who's going to enjoy a place like Elements.

Not to bust on peoples' taste in food - they like what they like - but you have to take that into consideration when they're giving a restaurant review.

I am not an Appleby's fan. I prefer small local restaurants.The only mac and cheese that I like is lobster mac and cheese. I prefer good service and a dining room that does not house stock room in the middle of it, which is why I did not like Elements. I have seen reviews from people of all social/economic statuses. Aside from what I am seeing in this thread, I have not seen/heard one positive review. So you can stop looking at me with your snooty nose up in the air. :yay:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am not an Appleby's fan. I prefer small local restaurants.The only mac and cheese that I like is lobster mac and cheese. I prefer good service and a dining room that does not house stock room in the middle of it, which is why I did not like Elements. I have seen reviews from people of all social/economic statuses. Aside from what I am seeing in this thread, I have not seen/heard one positive review. So you can stop looking at me with your snooty nose up in the air. :yay:
Um, how is it snooty to say that people like what they like when it comes to food and not every restaurant is going to be their cup of tea, therefore that should be taken into consideration when reading their restaurant reviews ? :confused:

ltown81

Bad food is bad food. While I don't roll up in Michelin 5 star places on the regular, me and my wife do eat at a lot of different places. We have been to Vegas several times, and tried many of the chef's restaurants out there. Locally, there is not a ton of creative food. The locally owned places for the most part are seafood houses or glorified diners. That said, we eat all the time at places like the Rex, or Blue Wind, which have some of the funkier local menus. We are in Ocean City a lot and eat at places like Shark on the Harbor, Liquid Assets, and Hooked. If you have been to Salisbury, one of our favorite restaurants is the Evolution Craft Public House. When we travel, I use Yelp, and specifically seek out high rated, unique places.

I did not enjoy Elements because I have Applebee's "You Pick two" tastes. I did not like Elements because their food was poo. Me and my wife badly wanted to like it, and did not like anything we received. The food is a step back from Blue Wind, and quality ingredients or not, the execution is not there.

And if I remember...aren't you like one of the 10 people in the county who think Lenny's has good food?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I've only had brick oven pizza once in Atlantic City and remember it being the best pizza I've ever had. We're doing an event on June 13th at a place called The Pizza Joint and it's brick oven and I'm so looking forward to trying it. I've heard it's the best pizza in the county and that's where the rich people get their pizza. Think John Travolta.:lmao:

Beta

Smile!
When did Elements open, mid March? I've learned to never expect anything decent from a new restaurant (if it's not a chain) for at least 3 months, but probably closer to 6. They have to learn the kitchen, potentially hone in on the right ingredients, and of course they have to break in a new staff while at the same time establishing how the restaurant is going to be run (so service can be a disaster). Anyone who writes off a restaurant early could be missing out.

I'm not sure why everyone disagreeing on the food quality has such a hard time understanding this, but I imagine every item on the menu has a different taste/flavor. Depending on the item ordered and the person's taste, you never know what the review will be. If one person ordered chicken and 5 people ordered pork, if they have a bad pork meal but great chicken, you might get 1 good review and 5 bad reviews. That doesn't mean it's a bad place just because a couple of the items aren't great. That's like people who go to Ruddy Duck and say it sucks because they got the entrees. Ruddy is a GREAT restaurant, but you have to get the right stuff. And you can't write it off after one try. Anyone remember how LOUD that place was before they added the sound panels to dampen the noise? Every restaurant has growing pains to work through.

I've never been to Elements so I don't know what the situation is there, but I'd hate for a restaurant with potential to close down quickly because people prematurely judged it and then bashed it online. Hopefully people give the new place in the Jasper's building a chance to work itself out too.

frequentflier

happy to be living

So, how was dinner?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So, how was dinner?

Really good - we will definitely go there again.

We snacked on appetizers: shrimp toast, which was large grilled shrimp with cheese and bacon over grilled bread; a cheese/sausage/snackie plate that came with an enormous portion of sliced homemade bread; and the duck fat fries. The portions were quite large, especially for the reasonable price, and we brought home leftovers. I had a Cherry Mule to drink (okay, fine, I had two) and Monello had a Juicer - both were very good except mine won because it came in a proper Mule mug, which is something I didn't even know existed.

The decor is rustic chic (I made that term up) and very comfortable, yet...maybe not elegant, but bordering on elegant - kind of what you'd see at a high end ski resort. I saw what Socki meant by having a store room in the middle of the floor, but that's actually part of the decor and ambiance, and not sloppiness or lack of storage. It's racks of wine, with boxes and casks. They could probably tidy it up a bit and there are too many boxes stacked around, but it fits with the look they're going for.

Our server was Sarah and she was personable and attentive. The food came out promptly, as did the drinks.

We were happy from start to finish and they made a good first impression. :shrug:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And if I remember...aren't you like one of the 10 people in the county who think Lenny's has good food?

Psh, I admitted defeat on that a few years ago. I kept trying to like them but they wouldn't cooperate. It was like they were testing me.

Lenny's food is great!
Yeah? How about now?
Mmmm...off night? Still good, though.
Now?
Um...the fries were crispy and delicious.
Okay, try them now.
Fine, you suck and I'm not coming back. Happy now??

Elements' food isn't "poo". Perhaps what you ordered didn't suit your particular taste, but everything we had was delicious. The server did warn us about the GF pizza crust, but we've experimented with that at home so we already knew.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So you can stop looking at me with your snooty nose up in the air. :yay:

Also, I want to clarify that I wasn't looking at you with my snooty nose up in the air. I was looking at someone else who completely trashed a restaurant that everyone in our party agreed was amazing when we went there.

I mean, my snooty nose might be in the air but not necessarily pointed in your direction.

sockgirl77

Also, I want to clarify that I wasn't looking at you with my snooty nose up in the air. I was looking at someone else who completely trashed a restaurant that everyone in our party agreed was amazing when we went there.

I mean, my snooty nose might be in the air but not necessarily pointed in your direction.

Okay. I guess I took it that way because you posted it shortly after I posted. I am glad that you enjoy the place. It's just not my cup of tea.