New Solomons Restaurant

pilot

Another restaurant that has personally irritated me is Vera's. The sad thing about Vera's is that I like the food and the atmosphere. But the service got to be so bad, we flat out refuse to go there anymore. It was downright abusive. Two quick examples:

We ate there a few years on Mother's Day. I ordered a dish off the regular menu. When they brought me my meal, it was a totally different dish from the one I had ordered (at least it was still chicken). It don't think this was a mistake--I really think that they just didn't want to take the trouble to fix my dish and were going to force me to eat one of their "Mother's Day" specials.

We had eaten there several times on a Saturday, where they were hosting a large party. So they put us into the bar, which is smokey and doesn't have the view. One time, when we were having guests from out of town, I made a reservation two weeks in advance for 6:00 in the nicer dining room. We got a call the day before, and not only did they want to change the room on us, but they even wanted to change the time--to 8:00. BTW, they didn't warn me about the change of room--I had to explicitly ask. Apparently, some large group had decided to make a reservation at the last minute, and our business no longer counted.

I'll contrast that with Brome-Howard. There have been a few times when St. Mary's College has had something going on, and the owners have warned me: "We could make a reservation for you, but it wouldn't be a typical Brome-Howard experience."

Last edited:

pilot

Directions to Dry Dock:

If you're coming from St. Mary's, cross the bridge, take the exit to Solomon's. Make a left onto C street. It will come up very soon. If you get to the boardwalk, you've gone too far.

Go to the very end of C street, follow the signs. It will be towards the right, on the water, second floor of a gray building.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by pilot
Directions to Dry Dock:

If you're coming from St. Mary's, cross the bridge, take the exit to Solomon's. Make a left onto C street. It will come up very soon. If you get to the boardwalk, you've gone too far.

Go to the very end of C street, follow the signs. It will be towards the right, on the water, second floor of a gray building.

Thank you sir.

Cheetah

My personal favorite in Solomons is CD Cafe. Very small, but very eccentric dishes. Good size portions. You need to get there at the right time. Never tried Dry Dock but have heard many good things about it. I bet it would be on my list of best places.

Need some home cookin and don't mind some flies in the summer? Frying Pan has some of my favorite meals. Some people may think it is a bit of a dive, but I love their MD Crab Soup, Chicken Salad, and Clam Strips (with the bellies, beware).

Anyone been to that Montague-Caspian restaurant? It was written up in the SOMD section of the Post a few months back.

pilot

Cheetah:

I believe CD's Cafe is a spinoff of Dry Dock (i.e., it was started by people who used to work at Dry Dock). You're right, it is a good restaurant. My only problem is that it's small, they don't take reservations, and there's no really decent place to wait. I wouldn't mind waiting for a table if they at least had a nice, relaxing place to have a drink.

I haven't eaten at Montague-Caspian for a while, but when I ate there, it was very good. I remember freshly baked bread and some interesting things on the menu.

BTW, my spouse is French, so I've learned to appreciate fine wines and gourmet dining. My biggest pet peeve is being rushed through a meal. :)

Bon appetit.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Cheetah
Anyone been to that Montague-Caspian restaurant? It was written up in the SOMD section of the Post a few months back.
I have been there a couple of times and the food was good. They do have a GREAT Sunday brunch!

B

baswm

Originally posted by jazz lady
China Harbor "The Restaurant" moved to Patuxent Plaza (think 7-11) in Solomons into the space that used to be China Harbor "The Carryout" - it still has the same owner and great food.

My wife and I ate at the China Harbor. I see they had fried Flounder and was very dissapointed with it. I am not used to getting a fried fish with head and all attached.

The waitress wondered what was wrong, Why I did not eat the head. YUCK. I politely said I was full and check please. No hurry to go back in there again.:dead:

B

baswm

no, by the tone and manner she was very serious and concerned.
I think it is just the asian culture and they do not waste any part of the fish.

pilot

I agree, I believe that's the Asian way of preparing fish. I've also seen this at some very fine American restaurants. Tavern at the Village has an excellent fish dish on the menu, and they always serve it with the head attached.