New State Laws for Scooters

direxpgw

titles

Its all about the $$ my friends. Wait until you go to MVA and find out it will cost you $200 for tax, title and registration stickers. Thank you so much Maryland.

sockgirl77

Its all about the $$ my friends. Wait until you go to MVA and find out it will cost you $200 for tax, title and registration stickers. Thank you so much Maryland.

Is it crazy that I do not seem to find an issue with this? People pay more than this every day to drive a vehicle on the road. :shrug:

garyt27

INAFJ
and scooters and mopeds (under 50cc) aren't issued titles.

ever try to register a vehicle in MD without a title?

Yes this is true, some states do title them though.
I believe the law says 49cc and below cannot be driven on roads that are posted 35 mph and above.
See some folks are riding 80cc that are not marked and you really can't tell the diff.
aaaaalso you can buy kits to boost the 49cc to 70cc and no one will know.
The problem with doing this is, the brakes may not handle the speed. Get my drift.
The sherriffs really don't know the regs on these things because they are so convoluted. Also the ones that do know have been very lenient on enforcing them.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I know what a moped is but by scooter are they referring to those things old people ride around in?
No, difference between a scooter and a moped is the type of frame. Both have 49cc engines.
I believe the law says 49cc and below cannot be driven on roads that are posted 35 mph and above.

Top speed on the bikes is supposed to be 35. You can ride them on anything but limited access interstates.

bcp

In My Opinion
Sockgirl77 you are wrong on your speed. the speed limit is 45mph so I will be waving at you when you are visiting with the cop So go ahead and fly by doing your 55mph.
You might want to try and read the sign on your way home this evening!!!

let me know when you plan to do this moose, I will run behind you in the dually, the girlyvan wont even register as a bump if she tries to push me. I might just wait for contact than hit the brakes and crush her front end.

of course if the posted limit does go above what you can run,,, GTF out of my way.. :killingme

bcp

In My Opinion
thinking on this and all jokes aside,
what happens to the people that have the scooter but no bill of sale to prove it belongs to them, How do they register it.
Can I steal an unregistered scooter from some kid and register it in my name and legally own it from then on?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
thinking on this and all jokes aside,
what happens to the people that have the scooter but no bill of sale to prove it belongs to them, How do they register it.
Can I steal an unregistered scooter from some kid and register it in my name and legally own it from then on?

.. or if you bought it used and didn't save the bill of sale because there was no need for it?

garyt27

INAFJ
Motorized is the key.
To be a scooter it must have a step thru frame and 13" or smaller wheels.
Moped must have pedals, although some don't, but they are not legal in Md.
All must have lighting.

drivingdaisy

If I had money to throw around, I'd love a Rascal; mostly just for the name. Rascal is one of my favorite words. If you say it right it can sound like a-hole. And lots of times I use the word rascal in place of the other word so it seems like I am being kind of friendly with my name calling, but what is really going on in my mind is something else.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
I'm sure the folks in the Solomon's shopping center will be thrilled. They had a pack of outlaw scooter riders terrorizing the place.

Seriously. Bunch of grown men on tiny scooters acting tough and practically running folks down. This might curb them.

Mopagens?

Attachments

• Mopagens.jpg
    Mopagens.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 87

Danzig

I'm trying to figure out why they bother. I mean, one, they don't cost that much, and two, the only damage that insurance is ever going to cover is the medical cost of the moped driver. Or do you think that somehow, crashing a moped into a car is going to cause it serious damage?

So - we have a cheap vehicle which costs about 2-3 times or more than a regular bike - goes about as fast as a bike - and in an accident, the same kind of damage is likely to occur.

Strikes me as mildly stupid. Or another way to try and extort cash from the state desperately trying to use the roads cheaply enough.

I bet the guy riding the $2,500+ bicycle that was flown after being hit by a scooter wished the scooter had insurance.
Bicyclist and Scooter Collide Leaving One Injured

protectmd

You might find this as odd, but when your scooter gets stolen, and its riding around say DC or PG, the police often don't have any way of knowing its stolen. Its not like they can run the tags and say "Hey, those tags says the vehicle is stolen" or "those tags don't belong to that scooter, they belong to a honda!" So there is an identification problem.

The insurance problem. There have been MANY accidents with these things and the lawsuits are starting to trickle through the system. The insurance companies all complained to the legislature because nobody can understand how scooters can ride on the roadway commonplace with vehicles and not have to have insurance. Bicycles primarily use other routes, (trails, bike lanes, etc), and do NOT use busy highways as primary routes. They are required to ride on the right most portion of the road when they do ride, and obey the same traffic laws as vehicles. Scooters however, can go anywhere on the road, they are required to have headlights, tail lamps, etc. They require their operators to have licenses, and everything else, but more than often, people aren't getting the required license to operate a scooter.

Enacting a helmet law will only bring down the deaths when these scooters get into an accident. Im sorry, but Univ of Md. shock trauma did a study on motorcyclists who were involved in crashes and wore helmets, and it showed that the full face helmet motorcyclists faired better and had a higher chance of survival than those with no helmet, half shell, open face helmets. Riding around without a helmet is just plain stupid, whether you feel its your right or not, if someone hits you, your dead- whether you were in the right or not. And most people aren't stopping nowadays when a crash occurs.

As for the old men with too many DUI's? Well, to operate a scooter you still have to have a license. If their license was suspended due to DUI, I would think that would prohibit them from operating a scooter? I don't know. And yes they can charge you with DUI on your own property, they can charge you with DUI on a 4 wheeler and even if you are riding a bicycle drunk, you can get a DUI in Maryland all of which will affect your license and driving/criminal record.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Enacting a helmet law will only bring down the deaths when these scooters get into an accident. Im sorry, but Univ of Md. shock trauma did a study on motorcyclists who were involved in crashes and wore helmets, and it showed that the full face helmet motorcyclists faired better and had a higher chance of survival than those with no helmet, half shell, open face helmets. Riding around without a helmet is just plain stupid, whether you feel its your right or not, if someone hits you, your dead- whether you were in the right or not.

In other words, the person who chooses not to wear a helmet is more likely to die. We're trying to legislate common sense. IMO, we are weakening the herd. If people want to go out and be stupid in a way that will only hurt themselves, why should we stop them?

Simple enough legally - no helmet = an assumption that the helmet would have prevented or reduced any injuries.

And most people aren't stopping nowadays when a crash occurs.
Really? Who knew?