New to Kayaking

Junk411

So I have had my first pool lesson.... Now what?

Is there a place you guys recommend so I can go out and practice what I haven't learned?

I am coming from NAS gate 3. I mean thats where I live.

Thanks in advance or any info.

Stephen

J

jaybeeztoo

So I have had my first pool lesson.... Now what?

Is there a place you guys recommend so I can go out and practice what I haven't learned?

I am coming from NAS gate 3. I mean thats where I live.

Thanks in advance or any info.

Stephen

Greenwell State Park has a kayaking program. 301 373-9775 :yay:

Bonehead

A good place is St Georges Island. Down great Mills road to route 5 right on 5 to 249 left on 249 and keep going.....

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Are you looking for flat water touring or something to get your blood flowing? For flat water you could hit Greenwell, the launch site @ Great Mills, Macintosh Run in L'town.

You're gonna hafta travel for moving water, but just starting out I'd hit Gunpowder Falls State Park.

T

toppick08

If you get a Charley-Horse in one, you might get wet.......:lol:

spinner

I started out kayaking in St. Mary's lake because it is quiet and there aren't any big boats. Since we've had so much rain the lake has really filled up. Point Lookout is fun to paddle around, and on the base there is a place where many years ago they used to rent canoes and such, we've put the kayaks in there, at the end of Clark's Landing road in Hollywood there is a little boat ramp, from there you can go up a couple of inlets. Camp something road that runs by St Mary's Riken school has a kayak/canoe launch into Breton Bay. And St. Jerome's Creek is nice, we have been putting in at Buzzy's they are wonderful people, but you have to watch for the boats coming and going. And there is a ramp at Forest Landing Road in Hollywood.
Do you have somebody to go with? Or are you going by yourself? There is Potomac River ramble on June 19-22, check out ICPRB I hope you enjoy your kayak as much as I do mine.

Hessian

Merkle wildlife

...will likely be sponsoring a few trips in the next 4-5 months. 301-888-1377
They have some wonderful coves & brooks to explore up on the Patuxent.
Most treks would only be 3-5 hours tops.
Give them a call...ask about their next kayak trip. Ask for Bill.

Hessian

Calvert County Parks & rec-

I saw they are planning a June 14 "Park to Park" trek on the Bay for more experienced yakkers: Parker's Creek to Flag Ponds...They need registration by June 1---
Go ahead and call 410-535-5327 (Battle Creek) to get registered.
there is a cost but it includes transit, lectures, tee-shirt & lunch!
I think it might be important to support our local parks...they need to know their planning is worth it...and it is less expensive to travel!

Hopefully we will have a good turn out.

Junk411

All good information.

I have a 14 foot perception. And I don't know anyone else who has a kayak yet. And I am not ready for a 3-5 hour trip. But I do want to get some experience, see some sights, and make friends on the water.

Today I will try St. Georges Island. You'll recognize me because I will be the guy falling out of the boat as he tries to get in it.:howdy:

All good information.

I have a 14 foot perception. And I don't know anyone else who has a kayak yet. And I am not ready for a 3-5 hour trip. But I do want to get some experience, see some sights, and make friends on the water.

Today I will try St. Georges Island. You'll recognize me because I will be the guy falling out of the boat as he tries to get in it.:howdy:

Here's another one. Leonardtown just built that waterfront park. Several people were using kayaks there. Thing is it's about a 2 foot concrete wall you have to get into your kayak from. Unless you can just launch off the wall. :cartwheelThere is a ladder there that could be used.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
1. Buy a friggin' county map
2. green blobs next to blue areas ar parks with water access
3. go to one and put you kayak in the water
4. :smack:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
I always liked St Mary's River by the College its nice and flat down there.

I used to yak @ night there :gossip: but don't tell anyone :whistle:

Junk411

1. Buy a friggin' county map
2. green blobs next to blue areas ar parks with water access
3. go to one and put you kayak in the water
4. :smack:

I have lots of maps, none of them have an opinion. This is what I think about your opinion :buttkick: .
But thats just my opinion.

However the topic is NOT general kayaking. I want to know what people consider good places for a beginner. Perhaps someone who's best self-rescue is get out of boat - swim to shore with kayak in tow.

Really I need to practice getting in and out of the boat. And when I went to St. Georges Island, a big ol' sign greeted me, "WARNING STRONG CURRENT AND UNDERTOW"
I want to practice rescue, not become one.

Kayaking is fun, so I want to keep it that way. Start off small. Learn some skills. You can read about it in a magazine 1000 times, but actually doing the stuff takes considerable skill. To learn it you have to be on the water.

Everyone who has kayaked before knows when you are out in the bay two miles offshore, that is not the time to find out your paddle float won't stay attached to your paddle because the snap fitting is busted.

Surely there are a lot of new or prospectively new people interested in kayaking, considering all the water in the area. So lets share the wealth of knowledge and be safe about it.

Stephen :patriot:

p.s. I ended up in Harper Creek on the naval air station because I know it is protected from the winds somewhat because of all the trees. But it is a small creek. I mean very smlall.

I have lots of maps, none of them have an opinion. This is what I think about your opinion :buttkick: .
But thats just my opinion.

However the topic is NOT general kayaking. I want to know what people consider good places for a beginner. Perhaps someone who's best self-rescue is get out of boat - swim to shore with kayak in tow.

Really I need to practice getting in and out of the boat. And when I went to St. Georges Island, a big ol' sign greeted me, "WARNING STRONG CURRENT AND UNDERTOW"
I want to practice rescue, not become one.

Kayaking is fun, so I want to keep it that way. Start off small. Learn some skills. You can read about it in a magazine 1000 times, but actually doing the stuff takes considerable skill. To learn it you have to be on the water.

Everyone who has kayaked before knows when you are out in the bay two miles offshore, that is not the time to find out your paddle float won't stay attached to your paddle because the snap fitting is busted.

Surely there are a lot of new or prospectively new people interested in kayaking, considering all the water in the area. So lets share the wealth of knowledge and be safe about it.

Stephen :patriot:

p.s. I ended up in Harper Creek on the naval air station because I know it is protected from the winds somewhat because of all the trees. But it is a small creek. I mean very smlall.

Ah, but it leads to a very big bay.:lmao: You could also try Goose creek on the base or any of the ponds.

also if you head back down to st george island don't go over the bridge, put your yak in at the boat ramp and head up the creek toward piney point .. there are many little fingers and coves off the creek.

the strong currents & under tows are mainly under the bridge and around the sandbars

plus yesterday the wind had everything churned up...

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I want to practice rescue, not become one..

Use a little common sense.
Before entering any water, take some time to observe currents and flow paterns. Most of the rivers around here are tidal. If the rise/fall flows through a narrow opening, like under the bridge at St. Georges Is., you'll have a strong current during tide changes.
Check the tide charts for the high/low times

dn0121

How did you get started? I just posted about wanting to learn a new hobby and thought this would be fun. Did you take a class or just learn from a friend?