New to Kayaking

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Buy stuff

Exactly. It is not rocket science, there are kayak forums on the web that can point you in the right direction for what you might want to start with based on your intrest.

There are fishing set-ups, touring set-ups ect....

You can find info. on how stable they are and how easily you can recover ect...

spinner

Before you go "buy stuff" try it first. Greenwell has lessons and rents kayaks. The place in Solomons PRA [?] rents them also. There are different kinds, you have to know what you want to do. There are the kind you sit down in and the sit-on-top [what I have] and different lengths. But before you spend the money [and they aren't cheap] try a couple of different kinds.
We went to Harper's Creek on the base yesterday, it was so beautiful, and warm. We paddled around for just over 2 hours in all the little coves and inlets. It was a really good day.

Junk411

How did you get started? I just posted about wanting to learn a new hobby and thought this would be fun. Did you take a class or just learn from a friend?

I started several years ago in Hawaii. renting the open top kayaks off the beach. With a few tips from the guy on the beach about how to slice and dice the water without over exerting, there was really nothing too it.
Since then I have taken a class that was conducted in a pool to learn all the basics from forward/ backward stroke to the sweep to the high and low brace. Also you learn how to get back in the boat w/2 people and self rescue. But this class was in Japan.
Here in Southern Maryland I can't tell you when the next class like this is or where that isn't overly expensive. An earlier poster pointed out Greenwell State Park:

Greenwell Foundation - River Riders Kayaking Program

But $60 dollars for one hour? Must be a really good instructor.

Patuxent Adventure Center sells and rents Kayaks. Apparently they are offering the basics on Tuesdays?

Welcome to the Patuxent Adventure Center - Solomon's Island, MD

alternate site:
Solomons Kayaks Bicycles Gear Leonardtown MD Maryland - Patuxent Adventure Center - Bike kayak shop featuring Specialized, Lifespeed, Q-Roo, Raleigh, Current Designs, Hurricane Heritage, Oakley, new equipment, rentals, demos maintenance services, cla

Here is a sketch of the water trails in Maryland:
Canoeing, Kayaking and Watertrails

I mean sketchy details. Hopefully this thread could turn up better information than "Go buy a map".

Anyway my best advice for the new Kayaker is to rent and find out what type kayaking suits you. The sea is a harsh mistress so DON'T just buy a boat and put it in the water. Look for Kayak Demo Days at the boat retailers. Thats when you can try out the different styles on the water.
There are different boat styles not just in name and length. There are beginner type boats with a flat bottom that is stable, but slow.
Then there are intermediate with more a rounded shape to allow the boat to tip and turn at a faster rate. But a beginner would feel the tipsiness quite readily.
And the advanced hull which is meant to be sleek and fast and best turns by tipping the boat to one side and it requires the most skill.

I think Beacon Surplus up in Waldorf was the last to hold a demo day. If anyone sees they have scheduled another please post.

Hope you find a little bit of information here helpful. There is so much more to Kayaking then to just "Buy Stuff" and I hope you are not discouraged by the lack of information pertaining to the Southern Maryland waterways.

Good Luck

Stephen

J

jaybeeztoo

Club Kayak at Greenwell
Date: 6/7/2008
Time: 11 AM
Duration: 04:00

Club Kayak is a new program at Greenwell State Park designed for anyone age 7 through adult. Club Kayak is offered on a monthly basis and is designed to teach basic kayak skills, safety techniques, and allows for fun and games too.
Experienced kayak instructors lead Club Kayak. Sessions last one hour and all equipment is included.

Saturdays at 11:00am for ages 7-13.
Saturdays at 2:00pm for ages 14 through adult.

Cost: $60.00 per month

Visit Greenwell Foundation or call 301-373-9775 for more information.

Posted By: Greenwell Foundation

T

toppick08

Club Kayak at Greenwell
Date: 6/7/2008
Time: 11 AM
Duration: 04:00

Club Kayak is a new program at Greenwell State Park designed for anyone age 7 through adult. Club Kayak is offered on a monthly basis and is designed to teach basic kayak skills, safety techniques, and allows for fun and games too.
Experienced kayak instructors lead Club Kayak. Sessions last one hour and all equipment is included.

Saturdays at 11:00am for ages 7-13.
Saturdays at 2:00pm for ages 14 through adult.

Cost: $60.00 per month

Visit Greenwell Foundation or call 301-373-9775 for more information.

Posted By: Greenwell Foundation

:rolleyes:

glhs837

Power with Control
I was going to recommend Harpers myself, as I plan to use that for the kids and I inaugural ride in the used yaks we got recently. Two kids, one yak, so we'll be flipping a coin to see who uses the Keowee, while I take the bigger (13 foot) one.

We did some renting, and got these two used yaks to show my wife that we will actually get enough usage to make buying new boats (even smaller basic recreational models @ $300-$500 add up) a worthwhile investment. After a couple trips (one for each kid) through Harpers, its up to St Marys Lake.

We did walk the Leonardtown Warf thingy recently, and noticed the final plan shows a floating kayak launch pad right there off that two foot concrete wall.

spinner

There is a canoe/kayak put in at the very end of Camp Calvert Rd in Leonardtown if you don't want to use the Wharf

Junk411

Hey, is there anybody kayaking tomorrow morning (friday) in the AM? If I could, I would like to tag along. Just let me know the place and time to show up. Thanks.