New to me Suburban is already in the shop

It's not. I now have a leaking transfer case or the seal between the trans & tv.

It was the seal between the transmission and transfer case. Took it back to my guy. Also was not going in to 4x4 (low or high) so I had him look at that.

4x4 problem was a plug that was not properly seated.

He fixed both problems. No charge.

If you need any work done on a vehicle, and the Hollywood area is convenient, then I HIGHLY recommend him. I'm not putting his info on here, but feel free to message me for it.

Rassafrassastupidtransmission

Drove the truck on Sunday, it ran great.
Drove it to work today and it appears I have lost 2nd gear and overdrive.
It doesn't shift till I hit 30-35 MPH and then at 60 I am running 2200-2500 RPM instead of the 1700-2000 I had been.
No evil sounds. No smells. No Check Engine light.
From what I have found online, it looks like it may be the shift solenoid. Anybody ever change one on a 4L60E? How difficult is it? How long did it take?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I hate transmission problems, but it sounds like the 2-4 band is slipping or the servo seals may be damaged (they say the seal can be fixed without removing transmission, good luck with that). Otherwise, 2-4 band is worn out and you need a rebuild or replacement.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I hate transmission problems, but it sounds like the 2-4 band is slipping or the servo seals may be damaged (they say the seal can be fixed without removing transmission, good luck with that). Otherwise, 2-4 band is worn out and you need a rebuild or replacement.

He had some torque converter work done too. With a 500rpm slip at 60, maybe it's the TCC solenoid? I hope so. thats a pretty simple fix.

Cowgirl

No doubt! Buying a vehicle of any kind that old would have been a complete :nono: for me.

A 97 isn't that old. :lol: Our newest vehicle we own is a 2003 and that's NEW for us! :lol: D likes old fords, and now he has a 1981 Ford truck and a 1986 Ford stepside truck that he's rebuilding. Good thing he's a mechanic or else they would be money pits. He finds all his parts at junkyards though, because those old trucks were plentiful. :lol:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
He had some torque converter work done too. With a 500rpm slip at 60, maybe it's the TCC solenoid? I hope so. thats a pretty simple fix.
Hope so, but he says he doesn't have 2nd or 4th. It looks like his truck likes the shop on about a two-week cycle.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
A 97 isn't that old. :lol:

True, but for an every day vehicle (for me) it is. I have a 2003 SUV that I love and there is nothing wrong with it, still going strong, and I have about 120K miles on it. I have no plans to get rid of it any time soon... but can tell you I won't be driving it forever. :lol:

Just dropped it off to have the transmission pulled and completely rebuilt.

OldHillcrestGuy

Good luck, the past month has not been very good for you'll, vehicle problems and septic problems, plus playing Santa to 4 kids. Maybe when they start digging with the septic, maybe they'll hit a bubbling crude, oil that is Texas tea. :buddies:

From what Ive seen driving by, (when its not in the shop)the old Suburban, looks to have nice looking exterior, looks like a good scout hauler.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Good luck, the past month has not been very good for you'll, vehicle problems and septic problems, plus playing Santa to 4 kids. Maybe when they start digging with the septic, maybe they'll hit a bubbling crude, oil that is Texas tea. :buddies:

From what Ive seen driving by, (when its not in the shop)the old Suburban, looks to have nice looking exterior, looks like a good scout hauler.
Ah, well the septic turned out to be an entirely different issue. Turns out that when we had some subflooring replaced just before Thanksgiving, the carpenter put a nail in the electrical wire going to the septic pump. :banghead:

Got it back last night.

The 2/4 band was broken. The hub it was on was worn. The 1/3 band was worn and not too far from breaking as well. All parts that showed ANY wear were replaced.

Drives like a totally different vehicle. Nice smoother acceleration, good firm shifts, no clunks, etc.

When he rebuilt it, he put in a heavy duty kit. All the bands and clutches are stronger than stock items. Put in a 7 clutch pack as opposed to the stock 5. He said he has never had one built this way break.

Hopefully I am done putting money in to it for a while.

Have some upgrade items on my to do list (transmission temp gauge, transmission drain plug, charge rear-end fluid, may add an additional transmission cooler, additional lights in front and back, replace the driver's side mirror due to shakes, replace remote mirror adjustment switch) but those are for the summer.

Body on the Suburban is in really good shape. I cannot find any rust.

Can haul me plus 7 scouts, some of our gear in back and the trailer with the rest of the gear out back. :yahoo:

Transmission went BOOM!!!!!

Drove the truck to work today. Or at least I tried to.

Passing 202, I noticed a "vibration" coming from the truck. Got worse and worse. Pulled over just after the exit for 50 and looked under the truck for ice or something caught up in the drivetrain. No joy. Got back in and accelerated out into traffic. MUCH worse than before. At about 35 MPH, as I got to the merge of 50 into 495, something went BOOM!!! Immediately pulled over and noticed I had no power. Made it to the shoulder. Put it in park and started rolling backwards. Jumped on the brakes and set the parking brake. Got out and took a look under the truck. Transmission fluid pouring out and a missing rear driveshaft. Eventually got it towed to the in-law's.

I think there may be a slight problem...

Attachments

• Transmission Blew Up 3.jpg
    Transmission Blew Up 3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 99