News About Twitter

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

‘What Is A Woman?’ Reaches No. 1 For Streaming Movies On Rotten Tomatoes

Under the June 2023 “Best Documentary Movies at Home” category on the movie review site, “What is a Woman?” beats out other more recently released documentaries as well as popular movies such as “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” and “The Super Mario Bros. Movie.”

“Congrats to [Matt Walsh] for your well -deserved receipt of this year’s Streisand Effect Grand Prize,” DailyWire+ host Dr. Jordan B. Peterson tweeted to Walsh.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
🔥 Now let’s connect the Erica dot to last week’s change in Twitter policy, a policy change immediately affecting many of our C&C readers who don’t have, and don’t want, Twitter accounts. On Saturday, Elon Musk publicly announced a controversial new Twitter policy: reading limits.

A few hours later, after a lot of user pushback, Elon increased the daily reading limits to 10,000, 1,000, and 500 for verified, unverified, and new accounts. These cutoff numbers are called “rate limits,” and in order for them to work, Twitter users must be logged in — hence the need for accounts.

But why?

In his announcement, Musk referred to “extreme levels” of “data scraping” and “system manipulation.” What’s he talking about?

Data scraping is when a computer or AI downloads massive numbers of tweets at a time. Without getting too technical, the AI “pretends” to be a user, sending the Twitter servers thousands and thousands of rapidly-fired requests for more and more data, and apart from the unreal velocity of the requests, otherwise appears to be a regular social media addict on speed.

The AI saves all those scraped tweets in a searchable database someplace.

Twitter had noticed that there were increasingly massive amounts of these kinds of automated requests for user data happening all the time. Not only does it affect user privacy, but it drives up Twitter’s costs, because Twitter needs to rent bigger and faster servers to handle all that growing automatic demand on top of the normal, real live user demand.

Data scraping is not especially new; in 2020 it was widely reported how elections consultant Cambridge Analytica scraped Facebook for what now seems like very primitive information about people’s political preferences:

Yesterday, a software developer wrote a thread explaining the data scraping problem in more detail:

That’s only the first few paragraphs of his explanation. If you’re interested in this issue, read the whole thing. Another clue appeared when a user mused on Saturday about how data scraping seems connected with the soaring increase of venture capital for Artificial Intelligence “large language models” (which is what ChatGPT is called), and Musk responded yesterday with a “bullseye” emoji:

At this point, you’re probably thinking, “that’s all fascinating Jeff but what does it have to do with Fake Erica and a Twitter revolution?” Hang in there, it all connects up.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
🔥 I stumbled across an ad for a new AI-fueled service called TwitterGPT the other day. You can find the free ‘beta’ at twittergpt.com. It allows you to enter any person’s twitter handle and get back an AI-based summary of their personality and political preferences.

So of course, I checked myself. Here’s what TwitterGPT said:

Guilty as charged, on all counts. By the way, for what it’s worth, all my tweets about DNC bots, mind control, and secret CIA meetings were based on headlines from traditional media sources. But I digress.

TwitterGPT is an example of what I’ve been saying about the intersection of social media and artificial intelligence. If an everyday startup can do this kind of thing, using only publicly-available Twitter posts and widely-available AI tools, just imagine what the government can do, using advanced, top-secret, DARPA-fueled artificial intelligence algorithms and the depth of data they collect on all of us.

My long-standing hypothesis about AI chatbots, which seemingly popped out of nowhere like a Jack-in-the-Box in the wake of the pandemic, is that they were originally produced by government researchers creating ways for the government to effectively process the vast amounts of data collected through Patriot Act-enabled methods and social media. The government’s problem is it has TOO MUCH data about each of us. They needed a way to avoid spending hundreds of man-hours reading our Facebook posts, gmails, google searches, and cell phone logs.

There’s no way the government could monitor all that data at scale. Enter artificial intelligence large language models. Ta-da! Problem solved.

Remember, under current law you have no valid expectation of privacy for anything you put online on social media. Even services like gmail, with their vast end-user agreements that nobody ever reads, include provisions for users to agree that gmail can sell their email information to third parties. It’s described as being “for advertising” but there are no legal limits on who Google can sell your information to.

As I’ve said many times before, DO NOT put anything in writing that you don’t want a government AI using to profile you with. Keep that in mind.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I took a screenshot of my "analysis." I was given the nickname Piparskeggr about a quarter century ago by an Icelandic friend, when there was much more pepper than salt in the beard. If the thing actually looked at the whole of my comments, LGB friends and family, yes, the rest of the alphabet, no.
1688666028234.png

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I took a screenshot of my "analysis." I was given the nickname Piparskeggr about a quarter century ago by an Icelandic friend, when there was much more pepper than salt in the beard. If the thing actually looked at the whole of my comments, LGB friends and family, yes, the rest of the alphabet, no.

To bad we cannot use this on Forum Posts :jet:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Twitter Court Filing Cites Alarming FTC Conduct Pressuring Consent Decree Arbiter to Target Elon Musk and Company

July 13, 2023 | Sundance | 108 Comments

Prior to Elon Musk taking control of Twitter, the social media company entered a consent decree with the Federal Trade Commission putting a neutral arbiter from Ernst & Young in an oversight position for the company’s privacy, data collection and information security protocols. Given what we know about DHS and FBI control and influence over Twitter content, there is a certain irony in the prior position of the FTC regarding user privacy.

That said, Twitter’s new parent company X Corp filed a court motion Thursday [PDF HERE] asking a federal court overseeing the settlement to either throw out the consent decree entirely, or put it on hold until the FTC turns over documents to Twitter showing historic bias against the company. Twitter is also seeking to bar the FTC from deposing CEO Elon Musk over issues that preceded his arrival.
Within the filing, Twitter presents some alarming information as shared by Ernst and Young about the FTC pressure applied to them.

Twitterr-vs-FTC-1.jpg

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Elon Musk Rebrands Twitter As 'X' After CEO Rejects His First Choice '69Boobies420'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

'This is my life now!' Furious California residents slam huge new X sign above Twitter offices that pulsates beams of light into their windows

• One resident, a local journalist named Christopher Beale, posted video of the new sign with a realization of what this means for locals
  • 'This is my life now,' Beale posted to the social media giant on Saturday, with a full clip of the undulating X logo
  • It comes just days after the billionaire allegedly had the original blue bird sign removed from the building without notifying security

One resident, a local journalist named Christopher Beale, posted video of the new sign with a realization of what this means for locals.

He was responding to a user who had seen the sign and said 'Imagine this f***ing X sign right across from your bedroom.'

'Imagine no more. This is my life now,' Beale posted to the social media giant on Saturday, with a full clip of the undulating X logo.

Fellow San Franciscan Riley Walz said that he actually was a bit wistful for the old Twitter logo.

'You know, the sign is missing. So, a little sad. I guess it's a new beginning for X, so that's interesting,' Walz told NBC Bay Area.

The city of San Francisco has opened a complaint and launched an investigation into the giant 'X' sign.

City officials say replacing letters or symbols on buildings, or erecting a sign on top of one, requires a permit for design and safety reasons.

Any replacement letters or symbols would require a permit to ensure 'consistency with the historic nature of the building' and to make sure additions are safely attached to the sign, Patrick Hannan, spokesperson for the Department of Building Inspection said earlier this week.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

X sues hate speech researchers whose “scare campaign” spooked Twitter advertisers

In its complaint, X Corp. claims that CCDH's reports have caused an estimated tens of millions in advertising revenue loss. The company said it's aware of "at least eight" specific organizations, including large, multinational corporations, that "immediately paused their advertising spend on X based on CCDH’s reports and articles." X also claimed that "at least five" companies "paused their plans for future advertising spend" and three companies decided not to reactivate campaigns, all allegedly basing decisions to stop spending due to CCDH's reporting.

X is alleging that CCDH is being secretly funded by foreign governments and X competitors to lob this attack on the platform, as well as claiming that CCDH is actively working to censor opposing viewpoints on the platform. Here, X is echoing statements of US Senator Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), who accused the CCDH of being a "foreign dark money group" in 2021—following a CCDH report on 12 social media accounts responsible for 65 percent of COVID-19 vaccine misinformation, Fox Business reported.

"This is the same dark money group that tried to have the conservative @FDRLST deplatformed last year. And they’ve gone after other conservative sites as well, like @BreitbartNews," Hawley said. "But who is funding this overseas dark money group—Big Tech? Billionaire activists? Foreign governments? We have no idea. Americans deserve to know what foreign interests are attempting to influence American democracy."

The CCDH's website says that it's funded by "philanthropic trusts and members of the public." A website dedicated to tracking funding sources of progressive organizations, InfluenceWatch, reported that the CCDH, which has offices in the US and the United Kingdom, has ties to the left-wing British Labour Party.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Elon Musk's X Corp. sues nonprofit group that tracks hate speech

The complaint specifically accuses the nonprofit group of breach of contract, violating federal computer fraud law, intentional interference with contractual relations and inducing breach of contract. The company's lawyers made a demand for a jury trial.

The lawsuit was filed just hours after the CCDH revealed that Musk's lawyer, Alex Spiro, had sent the organization a letter on July 20 saying X Corp. was investigating whether the CCDH's "false and misleading claims about Twitter" were actionable under federal law.

In a statement to NBC News, CCDH founder and chief executive Imran Ahmed took direct aim at Musk, arguing that the Tesla and SpaceX tycoon's "latest legal threat is straight out of the authoritarian playbook — he is now showing he will stop at nothing to silence anyone who criticizes him for his own decisions and actions."

"The Center for Countering Digital Hate’s research shows that hate and disinformation is spreading like wildfire on the platform under Musk's ownership and this lawsuit is a direct attempt to silence those efforts," Ahmed added in part. "Musk is trying to 'shoot the messenger' who highlights the toxic content on his platform rather than deal with the toxic environment he's created.