Nex-gen nuclear plant construction

glhs837

Power with Control
I see the "Union of Concerned Scientists" have issues with this tech. Thats enough for me, lets build a ton of them if those jackasses are against it.

SamSpade

As I understand it, a molten salt reactor CANNOT have a meltdown, because there is zero pressure - there's nothing to explode.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
because there is zero pressure - there's nothing to explode
A meltdown does not imply an explosion. A meltdown is just that.... material that is so hot that it simply melts thru the container and thru the earth below it.

I'm not familiar enough with this kind of reactor to say it could or could not meltdown.

SamSpade

A meltdown does not imply an explosion. A meltdown is just that.... material that is so hot that it simply melts thru the container and thru the earth below it.

I'm not familiar enough with this kind of reactor to say it could or could not meltdown.
I *think* the basic thing is that you have to heat it up externally to work - that if left by itself, it cools off. You can't have a runaway reaction.

glhs837

Power with Control

Sounds like these guys are not really looking for better reactors but rather reasons to never build any more reactors. "Could" "Might", "Possibly", ignoring the point that you build test plants to answer those questions. If you require the test reactors to meet all the standards before you build them, then they say it will be more than 20 years til you even build the test reactors.

This is how you throttle progress, with fear.

And this sort of crap shows why SpaceX is developing the Starship system on its own.

Tech

Chalk Point is shutting down, put one in there. The infrastructure is already there, just changing the source of steam.

black dog

Free America
Chalk Point is shutting down, put one in there. The infrastructure is already there, just changing the source of steam..

I thought Chalk was just sutting down the two coal fired burners ST1 and ST2 and and maybe two of the old oil NG turbines. Everything else can run on NG.
But yes with the land theres plenty to add on.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I thought Chalk was just sutting down the two coal fired burners ST1 and ST2 and and maybe two of the old oil NG turbines. Everything else can run on NG.
But yes with the land theres plenty to add on.
Plus they have steam cooling towers so they already look like nuclear reactors.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Why, do you think renewables can take the load? Not for quite a while, if ever.
The "if" in "if ever" is not in doubt. Maybe in 100 years some sort of riskless fusion energy technology will be in play. But nothing will realistically replace fossil fuels in the next 50 years except for nuclear.

The greenies have less than a clue.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Why so? What else other than natural gas (my favorite) is going to provide the fuel for "future" electrical power generation?
Natural gas is the leading source of heat in the US. Depending on the report source, anywhere from 30 to 60% of the nations heat.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The "if" in "if ever" is not in doubt. Maybe in 100 years some sort of riskless fusion energy technology will be in play. But nothing will realistically replace fossil fuels in the next 50 years except for nuclear.

The greenies have less than a clue.
It’s not a problem replacing fossil fuels, we could do it today. There’s boundless energy available right at this moment, solar, wind or wave. It’s always a matter of it being at the wrong place. Wind and wave energy are available in the oceans 100% of the time, solar energy is available is just as reliable and plentiful in multiple desserts around the world without taking any farmland out of action. The only issue is storing and transporting it to where it’s needed. Anyone who could come up with a truly efficient storage medium could be the worlds first trillionaire.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It’s not a problem replacing fossil fuels, we could do it today. There’s boundless energy available right at this moment, solar, wind or wave. It’s always a matter of it being at the wrong place. Wind and wave energy are available in the oceans 100% of the time, solar energy is available is just as reliable and plentiful in multiple desserts around the world without taking any farmland out of action. The only issue is storing and transporting it to where it’s needed. Anyone who could come up with a truly efficient storage medium could be the worlds first trillionaire.

It's more a matter of how to harness and convert it...not whether or not it exists in a useless form. As an engineering firm we've been involved in wind, solar, wave, tide, and ocean current energy conversion projects. Blithe broad statements about the abundance of all that energy are bullshit that I get sick of seeing repeated....especially in the left-stream media. Abundance is irrelevant....practical usefulness is.