Nex-gen nuclear plant construction

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Very few understand "practical" these days.
Or even that something is nonexistent. The insane Biden administration insisting that the country "transition" from fossil fuels to some mythical source of electricity that simply does not exist...THAT is true insanity.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
Or even that something is nonexistent. The insane Biden administration insisting that the country "transition" from fossil fuels to some mythical source of electricity that simply does not exist...THAT is true insanity.
"Henceforth all Automobiles must run on Unicorn Farts and Fairy Dust."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wind is a frigging disaster. How much fossil fuel is required to mine the materials used to make one wind turbine...how much to convert those materials to a useful form like steel..how much to assemble and transport the components..how much to assemble the turbine..how much to tear it down again after it is 20 years old...how much to cut up those massive blades and transport them to the massive landfills that required how many large earth moving machines to make and maintain....

Many so-called "alternative energy" sources are complete joke that is nothing but pablum for the uneducated masses of greenies.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If something bad(nuclear) should go wrong happens do you want to be near that
Oil and gas are proven why change
I'm a huge oil and gas proponent..but both will eventually be phased out whether we like it or not. Nuke power is stunningly safe...as an engineer and statistician looking at the historical numbers and the current generation designs, I'm not even faintly concerned about the minuscule risks.

Kinnakeet

I'm a huge oil and gas proponent..but both will eventually be phased out whether we like it or not. Nuke power is stunningly safe...as an engineer and statistician looking at the historical numbers and the current generation designs, I'm not even faintly concerned about the minuscule risks.
The waste is buried underground and some dumped into the Atlantic and Pacific oceans from what I have read, how can this be ok?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The waste is buried underground and some dumped into the Atlantic and Pacific oceans from what I have read, how can this be ok?
Beats heck out how they dispose of wind turbine blades. ;-) The volume of nuclear waste is tiny by comparison and storage methods well developed. Many (very many) nuclear plants are built, being built, and operated around the globe. The US is one of the few developed nations that let politics and irrational NIMBY and greenie fears get in the way of developing and building new nuke plants.

Kinnakeet

Beats heck out how they dispose of wind turbine blades. ;-) The volume of nuclear waste is tiny by comparison and storage methods well developed. Many (very many) nuclear plants are built, being built, and operated around the globe. The US is one of the few developed nations that let politics and irrational NIMBY and greenie fears get in the way of developing and building new nuke plants.
Wind turbines another waste of money IMO I read that some wind turbines have killed a bunch of Eagles and the companies are being sued for 8 million or more

Kinnakeet

If they drop it in the Marianas Trench it'll eventually be subducted into the mantle and help keep the magnetic field going.

Win-Win.
I dont think its dumped there we dont want to piss off the aliens that live there

glhs837

Power with Control
If something bad(nuclear) should go wrong happens do you want to be near that
Oil and gas are proven why change

What Gil said. Burning stuff to make power needs to stop eventually. Nuke is the way. Far less people dying due to that than any other means of generation.

Risk is a thing you mitigate and accept. And not blindly based on fears from another generation.

Kinnakeet

What Gil said. Burning stuff to make power needs to stop eventually. Nuke is the way. Far less people dying due to that than any other means of generation.

Risk is a thing you mitigate and accept. And not blindly based on fears from another generation.
Burning stuff keeps people in jobs

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Wind turbines another waste of money IMO I read that some wind turbines have killed a bunch of Eagles and the companies are being sued for 8 million or more.
Offshore wind industry provides more business for my company than any other source these days. So we're ho's...know how deficient the technology is and happy to take their money at the same time. ;-p And yep...wind turbines kill lots of birds, including protected species.