Next to ALDI?

SamSpade

They (ALDI) weren't expecting to thrive as well as it's been doing here in So. MD.

I'm excited, I'm there every week - but definitely avoid it on the weekends bc it can get crowded fast. They said they'll have to close for a couple weeks in the spring when it gets to that point, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I love ALDI but there are definitely times to NOT go.

PeoplesElbow

They (ALDI) weren't expecting to thrive as well as it's been doing here in So. MD.

I'm excited, I'm there every week - but definitely avoid it on the weekends bc it can get crowded fast. They said they'll have to close for a couple weeks in the spring when it gets to that point, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.
Not sure why not, they thrive everywhere. Up until a few years ago what we have is the standard size Aldi store. About three years ago I noticed ones in New Jersey, South Carolina, and West Virginia expanding their stores. They had a wall knocked out and stayed open while construction was going on. The ones in West Virginia and South Carolina now have a fairly decent size beer and wine section, not sure what they are going to do with that space here.

I remember people on here saying they wouldn't last, ha.

OccamsRazor

I wonder if the McKays people are whispering in the ears of the powers-to-be regarding a potential rival to the sale of liquor/wine/beer in a grocery store. They have been talking expansion of that Aldi for almost 2 years now and not much movement.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
It will be where I'll be going from now on.
They have things not available anywhere else that I've come to want on a regular basis. Like Amaroso rolls and their pre-cooked bacon. When they had it, I preferred their whole bean coffee. I've tried their pre-packaged beef, less expensive and it's good. Bought a bag of oranges, and they were the best oranges I'd had in a very long time.

If you have a large family, small budget, and don't mind off-brand groceries, you can save a lot of money shopping there.

DaSDGuy

They have things not available anywhere else that I've come to want on a regular basis. Like Amaroso rolls and their pre-cooked bacon. When they had it, I preferred their whole bean coffee. I've tried their pre-packaged beef, less expensive and it's good. Bought a bag of oranges, and they were the best oranges I'd had in a very long time.

If you have a large family, small budget, and don't mind off-brand groceries, you can save a lot of money shopping there.
The quality of those off-brand groceries is equivalent or even better than name brands. Let Karen have her name-brand labels. I only care about what's inside the packages.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The quality of those off-brand groceries is equivalent or even better than name brands. Let Karen have her name-brand labels. I only care about what's inside the packages.
I'll agree, up to a point. I've found their potato chips just don't cut it. But that's just me, and just one item.

CRHS89

I thought all Aldis were like the one in California. Then I stopped into the new one in Waldorf. It was really nice. I am excited that now ours may be like that. More selection and definitely roomier.

mitzi

I'll agree, up to a point. I've found their potato chips just don't cut it. But that's just me, and just one item.

I've found none of the store/off brand chips are good. Nothing like a Lay's potato chip. The WalMart brand corn chips are just as good as Fritos.

PeoplesElbow

I agree chips do not cut it neither do the corn chips, nacho chips are fine . Go figure ?
I actually like the chips and popcorn better than any others. The one that that isn't any good though is the fake cheese puffcorn.

The Organic Hot Salsa is my favorite salsa from a store.

jrt_ms1995

Does it still stink of cardboard?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My Mrs. worked for a food company for a few years that made canned food. They would not label it until a customer bought a pallet. It's called Bright Pack. All the different store brands are made by name brand producers.

tuffenuff2

I think they're building an indoor fitness place. There's a billboard for it next to the Indian restaurant but you can only read it if you're going south or in your rearview mirror or if you're going for a meal or drink.

phreddyp

I actually like the chips and popcorn better than any others. The one that that isn't any good though is the fake cheese puffcorn.

The Organic Hot Salsa is my favorite salsa from a store.
My issue with the chips is the bag is more than half full of pieces not chips for dipping , I agree their salsas quite a few of them are great !

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I think they're building an indoor fitness place. There's a billboard for it next to the Indian restaurant but you can only read it if you're going south or in your rearview mirror or if you're going for a meal or drink.
I believe that billboard is referencing the Willows Rec Center - an indoor rec center gym on Willows Rd. Sunny, who owns and operates the Taphouse which is connected to the Indian Restaurant (also his family's), is either a co-owner or shareholder, something like that, in the Willows Rec Center so he's just advertising his other business.

OldHillcrestGuy

Yeah I knew about Royal Farms. I just assumed everyone saw the equipment RIGHT NEXT to the store.
I always assumed it would be another store or a fast food franchise, but ALDI is very often packed to the gills, inside and out.
An expansion would be great, it's the smallest ALDI I have ever seen.

Its funny how a lot of folks on here were knocking the Aldi store when it first came to St> Mary's now its 'Packed to the Gills' lol