NFL draft...

Beta84

They're out to get us
Shows how much you know.:lmao:

A lot of successful NFL teams draft singular positions in groups in the draft. The thought process is that at least a few guys will stick. The New York Giants found their famed front seven this way. The Chargers are very well known for doing this recently.

The Skins needed to draft OT or DE in the draft and they did. I didn't think they'd delve into the draft too far to get Sanchez but I was wrong. When Zorn was speaking to the crowd a chant ensued, "Campbell...Campbell...Campbell." You could tell what the fans wanted. Zorn and crew looked very uncomfortable and ran off stage in quick fashion unlike in previous years. They were taking Sanchez, I knew it and everyone knew it. Luckily, the Jets made the bold but bad move, I thought. Redskins fans rejoiced when the Jets selected Sanchez at 5. Then, the unthinkable happened. Orakpo fell right into our laps.:yahoo:
I'm wrong? They may not have picked a WR in the 2nd round, but they sure as hell picked one! They only had 6 picks. You do the math. The Skins picked only 1 DL and no OL. Also picked 2 LB and 1 CB. I was under the impression offense was the bigger problem in Washington. How was this a good draft for you guys?

So you liked the Orakpo pick huh? .....
That was a horrible pick. The Broncos didn't do much better selecting Moreno at 12.

So you hated the Orakpo pick huh?

Buddy you have just confused the crap out of me! How can you be excited about Orakpo and then call it a horrible pick??

Buddy you have just confused the crap out of me! How can you be excited about Orakpo and then call it a horrible pick??

I think he was talking about the Raiders picking Heywood-Bay. I'm not sure who made the decisions for the Raiders in this draft, but I think it is safe to say that that organization will remain dysfunctional as long as Al Davis remains in charge of it.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I think he was talking about the Raiders picking Heywood-Bay. I'm not sure who made the decisions for the Raiders in this draft, but I think it is safe to say that that organization will remain dysfunctional as long as Al Davis remains in charge of it.

yeah, that was a stupid pick.

Oh and I saw this and laughed...guess you guys lucked out on the drama this one coulda caused!

Redskins tried to trade up for Sanchez

So were all the Mark Sanchez rumors just a smoke screen in Washington? The Redskins aren't that wily. Redskins front office boss Vinny Cerrato said the Redskins tried to trade up for the Southern Cal quarterback. However, the New York Jets made the Cleveland Browns, coached by former Jets coach Eric Mangini, a superior offer and moved up from No. 17 to No. 5.

Washington Times

angelbaby

yeah, that was a stupid pick.

Oh and I saw this and laughed...guess you guys lucked out on the drama this one coulda caused!

We already knew about that. :lol: It was never gonna happen because the Redskins had nothing to offer in order to trade up. We did end up drafting a QB MU's Chase Daniels. Not that it really matters anyway. :ohwell: At the draft day party it was clear the fans are still behind JC they were even chanting his name during Zorn's speech. As we all know that means nothing when it comes to Dan Snyder's agenda. I still think JC will be traded before the season starts, it's clear TPTB want him out.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I'm wrong? They may not have picked a WR in the 2nd round, but they sure as hell picked one! They only had 6 picks. You do the math. The Skins picked only 1 DL and no OL. Also picked 2 LB and 1 CB. I was under the impression offense was the bigger problem in Washington. How was this a good draft for you guys?

So you liked the Orakpo pick huh? .....

I don't even know what you're talking about and I don't think you do either.:lol:

They took a WR...

...in the 7th round.:lmao: You take the BPA at that point. Teams take punters in that round.

In maintaining a top 10 defense you must constantly keep the parts younger. They drafted their first four on offense last season. To be fair, they drafted defense this year. They have picked up several OL prospects in the offseason to tide them over. Next year they address offense again. At least that's the current plan it seems.

I told you who they'd pick. You said they'd go WR early. Don't get mad honey chile'.:love:

Beta84

They're out to get us
I don't even know what you're talking about and I don't think you do either.:lol:

They took a WR...

...in the 7th round.:lmao: You take the BPA at that point. Teams take punters in that round.

In maintaining a top 10 defense you must constantly keep the parts younger. They drafted their first four on offense last season. To be fair, they drafted defense this year. They have picked up several OL prospects in the offseason to tide them over. Next year they address offense again. At least that's the current plan it seems.

I told you who they'd pick. You said they'd go WR early. Don't get mad honey chile'.:love:

I said "I wonder if Washington will pick a receiver." You said "they picked 3 last year in the 2nd round so it won't happen." I jokingly responded "that's probably why they'll pick one again this year." What did they do? They selected a receiver in the 7th round.

What's the use of a top 10 defense when you don't have an offense that'll score? You have a top notch RB in Clinton Portis, a pretty quality WR in Santana Moss, a solid H-back/TE in Cooley, yet your offense sucks? That's inexcusable. Yes, you should pick defenders in the draft to keep the defense solid...but they need to upgrade their offense too. They just signed Haynesworth for $100mil, grabbed Orakpo in the first round...after that they shoulda grabbed some desperately needed OL.

Out of the top 13 scoring defenses, Washington (6th) was the only one without a winning record. Why? Because their scoring offense was 28th...and they are the only team in the bottom 11 of scoring offense that went 8-8 or better. With such a huge disparity, you need to upgrade the unit that's sorely lacking. Using all your top picks on defense, most of your free agent signings on defense, and not signing much of anything to the offense during the offseason is only gonna get you so far IMO. :shrug:

But who knows...maybe Dockery will shore up the entire OL, Campbell will turn into a good QB and the 2 second round WRs and 1 TE from last year will turn out to be pretty solid this upcoming season. I guess the Skins will be fine if all of that happens.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But who knows...maybe Dockery will shore up the entire OL, Campbell will turn into a good QB and the 2 second round WRs and 1 TE from last year will turn out to be pretty solid this upcoming season. I guess the Skins will be fine if all of that happens.

Here's the 'glass is half full' view of all this;

O line; Samuels certainly has a good year left in him as does Rahbach, Doc certainly improves us at guard. Thomas has one more year in him. Heyer and Jansen get the job done on the right.

Thomas and Kelly improve into decent WR's and catch 40-50 balls each. This helps Moss and Cooley.

Jason, with another year under his belt and a healthy line and the help of Thomas and Kelly, has a solid year. Portis has a great year.

On the other side, the D goes from being good to being great. A good defense makes it hard for the other guys, but better teams can get it done when the need to. A great defense forces the other guys into mistakes; turnovers and INT's. The difference here is getting to the QB. Making him throw it before he's ready, forcing him into a bad read, sacks, messing up plays.

If the Redskins are a field goal better on offense and a field goal better on defense, 6 points, they are 3 wins better last season and in the playoffs.

The half empty view is that Thomas and Kelly are busts, an aging line has injury problems again, Portis gets hurt, Campbell has hit the ceiling and simply isn't good enough and Moss gets flagged once a game for throwing his helmet.

On D, there really isn't a 1/2 empty scenario. They WILL get pressure on qb's this year and the CB's are good enough and the LB's are good enough to hurt people. It ALL starts up front for any really good d; the D line.

That's what otter says and that's all there is to it. :buddies:

Beta84

They're out to get us
Here's the 'glass is half full' view of all this;

O line; Samuels certainly has a good year left in him as does Rahbach, Doc certainly improves us at guard. Thomas has one more year in him. Heyer and Jansen get the job done on the right.

Thomas and Kelly improve into decent WR's and catch 40-50 balls each. This helps Moss and Cooley.

Jason, with another year under his belt and a healthy line and the help of Thomas and Kelly, has a solid year. Portis has a great year.

On the other side, the D goes from being good to being great. A good defense makes it hard for the other guys, but better teams can get it done when the need to. A great defense forces the other guys into mistakes; turnovers and INT's. The difference here is getting to the QB. Making him throw it before he's ready, forcing him into a bad read, sacks, messing up plays.

If the Redskins are a field goal better on offense and a field goal better on defense, 6 points, they are 3 wins better last season and in the playoffs.

The half empty view is that Thomas and Kelly are busts, an aging line has injury problems again, Portis gets hurt, Campbell has hit the ceiling and simply isn't good enough and Moss gets flagged once a game for throwing his helmet.

On D, there really isn't a 1/2 empty scenario. They WILL get pressure on qb's this year and the CB's are good enough and the LB's are good enough to hurt people. It ALL starts up front for any really good d; the D line.

That's what otter says and that's all there is to it. :buddies:

Alot of the OL only have a year or so left? Here's a question then. Will Orakpo start this year? Or rather, should he start? I ask that mainly because I know your defense was really good last year, you added Haynesworth and get Daniels back on the line, and it sounds like you need an OT in a year. The Skins had a shot at Oher, who was considered a top 15 pick. I know Orakpo was best available and maybe even an improvement on what you had, but would Oher have been the better selection (based purely on what we THINK they can provide)?

Your OL was barely serviceable this past season and it sounds like alot of them are getting close to their last leg. I guess you have a few young OL, so maybe the staff is hoping some of them develop into starters (kinda like the WR situation you have right now). Maybe if some of those OL and WRs pan out, you'll be set. That's a big IF, but those seem to be the glaring weaknesses (other than QB...maybe Campbell or Brennan will step it up!).

angelbaby

OL help...

The Redskins are close to signing free agent offensive lineman Jeremy Bridges, according to head coach Jim Zorn.

Bridges took part in the Redskins’ three-day mini-camp this weekend.

If Bridges can pass a physical on Sunday and complete a contract with the team, then he would be available to participate in the Redskins’ OTA practices that start on Monday.

“We’re trying to get things done with Bridges,” Zorn said. “He was one of the bright spots in these tryouts. We have to get him a physical.”

Bridges is a 6-year NFL veteran who has played for the Panthers the last three years and started 28-of-41 games at guard in that span.

He is listed at 6-4 and 326 pounds.

In his career, Bridges has started 39-of-62 games. He had a two-year stint with the Arizona Cardinals from 2004-05 and played one year with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2003.

He was drafted by the Eagles in the sixth round of the 2003 NFL Draft.

The Redskins are also considering signing free agent wide receivers Kelley Washington and D.J. Hackett, Zorn said.

Washington and Hackett also took part in the mini-camp and both they had several impressive catches going against the Redskins’ first-team defenders.

“We’re going to talk about them,” Zorn said. “We’re already assured about Bridges. It’s different [with Washington and Hackett] because there are enough [wide receivers] to choose from. We’re not just choosing one guy.

“We’ll make the assessment as coaches, as scouts, and then try to get the right guys on this team.”

:buddies:

BuddyLee

Football addict
I said "I wonder if Washington will pick a receiver." You said "they picked 3 last year in the 2nd round so it won't happen." I jokingly responded "that's probably why they'll pick one again this year." What did they do? They selected a receiver in the 7th round.

What's the use of a top 10 defense when you don't have an offense that'll score? You have a top notch RB in Clinton Portis, a pretty quality WR in Santana Moss, a solid H-back/TE in Cooley, yet your offense sucks? That's inexcusable. Yes, you should pick defenders in the draft to keep the defense solid...but they need to upgrade their offense too. They just signed Haynesworth for $100mil, grabbed Orakpo in the first round...after that they shoulda grabbed some desperately needed OL.

Out of the top 13 scoring defenses, Washington (6th) was the only one without a winning record. Why? Because their scoring offense was 28th...and they are the only team in the bottom 11 of scoring offense that went 8-8 or better. With such a huge disparity, you need to upgrade the unit that's sorely lacking. Using all your top picks on defense, most of your free agent signings on defense, and not signing much of anything to the offense during the offseason is only gonna get you so far IMO. :shrug:

Gee, maybe you should be the GM.

Better yet, run the offense.:yay:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Alot of the OL only have a year or so left? Here's a question then. Will Orakpo start this year? Or rather, should he start? I ask that mainly because I know your defense was really good last year, you added Haynesworth and get Daniels back on the line, and it sounds like you need an OT in a year. The Skins had a shot at Oher, who was considered a top 15 pick. I know Orakpo was best available and maybe even an improvement on what you had, but would Oher have been the better selection (based purely on what we THINK they can provide)?

Your OL was barely serviceable this past season and it sounds like alot of them are getting close to their last leg. I guess you have a few young OL, so maybe the staff is hoping some of them develop into starters (kinda like the WR situation you have right now). Maybe if some of those OL and WRs pan out, you'll be set. That's a big IF, but those seem to be the glaring weaknesses (other than QB...maybe Campbell or Brennan will step it up!).
Oher would have been a good pick at 20 or so. At 13 with Orakpo in one hand and Oher in the other you have to go with Orakpo. That's the best defensive end in the draft against the 5th best offensive tackle in the draft. I was tempted by Oher just because I want O-line but the smart move was to go with Orakpo. Daniels is an excellent run-stopper but just can't rush the passer anymore. Jason Taylor did neither and was let go. The Skins have a lot of depth now on the O-line, believe it or not. Not so much depth for DE's after letting Taylor and Erasmus James go. The pick had to be Orakpo.

If we picked up Oher the same critics (maybe even you) would be saying, "Why not Orakpo? No pass rush, ect."

Last edited:

Beta84

They're out to get us
Oher would have been a good pick at 20 or so. At 13 with Orakpo in one hand and Oher in the other you have to go with Orakpo. That's the best defensive end in the draft against the 5th best offensive tackle in the draft. I was tempted by Oher just because I want O-line but the smart move was to go with Orakpo. Daniels is an excellent run-stopper but just can't rush the passer anymore. Jason Taylor did neither and was let go. The Skins have a lot of depth now on the O-line, believe it or not. Not so much depth for DE's after letting Taylor and Erasmus James go. The pick had to be Orakpo.

If we picked up Oher the same critics (maybe even you) would be saying, "Why not Orakpo? No pass rush, ect."

I agree, Orakpo was the better pick based on where both were projected and their potential impact...but here's a tidbit for ya: Orakpo is your new strongside OLB, not DE. At least that's where they had him playing in minicamp and that's their current plan for him. I was pretty surprised. I guess we'll see what happens.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I agree, Orakpo was the better pick based on where both were projected and their potential impact...but here's a tidbit for ya: Orakpo is your new strongside OLB, not DE. At least that's where they had him playing in minicamp and that's their current plan for him. I was pretty surprised. I guess we'll see what happens.
He'll be playing both actually.

Beta84

They're out to get us
He'll be playing both actually.

I guess we'll see what happens. They had him playing OLB for minicamp but I guess they'll test him at DE during training camp. I doubt he'll end up playing both (unless they do both 4-3 and 3-4). Guess it'll be whichever he does better at or gives them a bigger upgrade...

BuddyLee

Football addict
I guess we'll see what happens. They had him playing OLB for minicamp but I guess they'll test him at DE during training camp. I doubt he'll end up playing both (unless they do both 4-3 and 3-4). Guess it'll be whichever he does better at or gives them a bigger upgrade...
In minicamp they had him playing both. Rushing the QB at linebacker on first and second down and DE on third downs.