Nice start to the season

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Wonderful! Congrats!

Want a real treat? Corn a piece of it - Yummy!

Corned Venison

2 quarts water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup Morton's Tender Quick
3 tables sugar
2 tables mixed pickling spices
2 bay leaves
1 teasp whole peppercorns
2 cloves garlic, minced

Dissolve all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes. Cool.

Place a 5-7 pound fresh ham in a large plastic container. Pour the marinade over the meat (may not fully cover - that's OK, just turn the meat over every few days). Cover and place in the refrigerator 10-14 days.

Drain off the liquid and rinse with fresh water. Place in large pot, cover with water, bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 hours.

worthless thread then cause the only picture I have is with me in it and that ain't going on SOMD.com

Open pic in paint program, mask out your face/identifying marks, then save as edited pic and post so we can see your deer. I just wanna see the deer, don't care what you look like.

Inkd

Wonderful! Congrats!

Want a real treat? Corn a piece of it - Yummy!

Corned Venison

2 quarts water
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup Morton's Tender Quick
3 tables sugar
2 tables mixed pickling spices
2 bay leaves
1 teasp whole peppercorns
2 cloves garlic, minced

Dissolve all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil and boil 2 minutes. Cool.

Place a 5-7 pound fresh ham in a large plastic container. Pour the marinade over the meat (may not fully cover - that's OK, just turn the meat over every few days). Cover and place in the refrigerator 10-14 days.

Drain off the liquid and rinse with fresh water. Place in large pot, cover with water, bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 hours.

I'm going to try this since I usually screw up my venison roasts. Could I use a big ziploc bag to put all the ingredients and the ham in?

bulldog

As requested Mr. huntr1

Open pic in paint program, mask out your face/identifying marks, then save as edited pic and post so we can see your deer. I just wanna see the deer, don't care what you look like.

Edited Picture and a picture of the same deer before he met my arrow.

Attachments

• 8 edited.jpg
    8 edited.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Buck.jpg
    Buck.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Inkd

I got a little doe thursday. There was a 7 pointer walking around but never got in range. I hope he makes it another year or so, he will have a realy nice set of headgear on him then.

bulldog

That's one PRETTY buck! Thanks for the pic. Good eating!

Thanks. I posted a pic of him alive too.
It's a really nice property that I'm hunting and this guy is pretty much my "minimum" that I'll shoot off there. He's just outside of his ears with inside spread...15.5".

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I'm going to try this since I usually screw up my venison roasts. Could I use a big ziploc bag to put all the ingredients and the ham in?

A zip-lock would be a great option for marinating this.

bulldog

Very nice!!!! Nice shot too, how far did he go, what kind of broadhead are you using?

Thanks. He went about 85-90 yards maybe. Further than I had hoped. The exit was nice and took a lung, but he was quartering hard away and the entrance had to be back some to get a good angle.
This was with a G5 broadhead...which is my first deer with these. I have shot muzzy 100gr for years, but decided to give these a try. Not bad heads.