Nicotine Withdrawal

Rael

Supper's Ready
Okay, so I looked it up to lean on something while going through this. To substantiate the weird feelings of anxiety, the occasional minor cramp, the restlessness/irritability and how slow the day goes that all have become a symptomatic part of me this past week.

I'm happy to report it has been one entire week without lighting up, but not taking any satisfaction or delight that this defines success in the effort. I'm stubborn and tenacious when I put my mind to something, and this is one of those things I want to succeed at doing.

I also believe that telling people one is quitting doesn't mean a thing, nor posting about it. So, it's one day at a time 'til getting over the hump.

Feel free to share your story about quitting, I'll be curious to read them. :yay:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I don't have a story because I never started....but GREAT for you!! I'm sure it's very hard to quit. :clap:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Feel free to share your story about quitting, I'll be curious to read them. :yay:

Seven years ago this month (August 6) I was driving to work and told myself I would smoke my last pack today. I quit cold turkey, and have never picked up a cigarette since that day. I regret picking up the habit.

donbarzini

Okay, so I looked it up to lean on something while going through this. To substantiate the weird feelings of anxiety, the occasional minor cramp, the restlessness/irritability and how slow the day goes that all have become a symptomatic part of me this past week.

I'm happy to report it has been one entire week without lighting up, but not taking any satisfaction or delight that this defines success in the effort. I'm stubborn and tenacious when I put my mind to something, and this is one of those things I want to succeed at doing.

I also believe that telling people one is quitting doesn't mean a thing, nor posting about it. So, it's one day at a time 'til getting over the hump.

It's been two and a half years since my helicopter flight and I haven't touched one since. I still get an occasional urge, especially after a good meal, that first cup of coffee or..........well, you know. But those urges are finally getting fewer and farther between. So there IS light at the end of the tunnel Rael. Keep walking that walk and you'll get there. Sometimes it just comes down to "I won't smoke RIGHT this minute." Good luck.

betty99

Congratulations on quitting.

I quit a two to three pack a day habit on January 4, 2010. Research says that quitting smoking is worse than trying to break an addiction to cocaine or heroin. It's hard so don't get down on yourself in your weak moments. Things that helped me get to this point: find an online calculator that shows you the benefits of quitting for the length of time you have quit. Use a crutch if you need the physical habit. I broke a pencil down to cig length and held it. Drink lots of orange juice. It takes 72 hours for nicotine to leave your system, after that, it's just the habit. It takes three weeks to break a habit. All that is trash too, because I still crave them in certain situations. Don't allow yourself just one. It's like an alcoholic with a drink, one is too many and 100 isn't enough. I used the patch the first three weeks until I realized that was making it worse because it had me in constant withdrawal. I'm rambling, but I know how hard this is and how much better you will feel once you hit one month, six months, and so on.

You can do this!!!

Rael

Supper's Ready
Seven years ago this month (August 6) I was driving to work and told myself I would smoke my last pack today. I quit cold turkey, and have never picked up a cigarette since that day. I regret picking up the habit.
Good for you, cold turkey here as well.
It's been two and a half years since my helicopter flight and I haven't touched one since. I still get an occasional urge, especially after a good meal, that first cup of coffee or..........well, you know. But those urges are finally getting fewer and farther between. So there IS light at the end of the tunnel Rael. Keep walking that walk and you'll get there. Sometimes it just comes down to "I won't smoke RIGHT this minute." Good luck.
Because 90% of this is half mental. :lol:
Congratulations on quitting.

I quit a two to three pack a day habit on January 4, 2010. Research says that quitting smoking is worse than trying to break an addiction to cocaine or heroin. It's hard so don't get down on yourself in your weak moments. Things that helped me get to this point: find an online calculator that shows you the benefits of quitting for the length of time you have quit. Use a crutch if you need the physical habit. I broke a pencil down to cig length and held it. Drink lots of orange juice. It takes 72 hours for nicotine to leave your system, after that, it's just the habit. It takes three weeks to break a habit. All that is trash too, because I still crave them in certain situations. Don't allow yourself just one. It's like an alcoholic with a drink, one is too many and 100 isn't enough. I used the patch the first three weeks until I realized that was making it worse because it had me in constant withdrawal. I'm rambling, but I know how hard this is and how much better you will feel once you hit one month, six months, and so on.

You can do this!!!
This is a key for me. If I had just one, the whole effort would be done, I'd be right back.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I agree about how it gets easier as time goes on. For me it was THE hardest thing I ever did in my life. It took a while, but eventually my desire for it was less and less. Eventually I rarely ever thought about smoking. If someone lights up near me the smell of the cigarette burning can be enticing, but after what I went through to quit? I'll never light up again.

I used the Nicotine patches to help me get through the first few weeks. The stronger patches made me feel sick so I stuck with the low dose patches.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I've never smoked but my boss did before he had his heart-attack. He used to chew straws all day long to help with the desire. Then one day, I noticed that the straws were gone. Good luck! You can do it!!

NTNG

Dec. 2008, went to ortho doc for a shoulder injury. They did a CAT scan, and found "something odd" in the apex of my left lung. Tests determined it was cancer. Surgery at WHC, March ,4 09. Came home minus the upper left lobe of the lung. Between the pain meds, and patches < they are hard to light BTW > gave up a 2 pack per day, 30+ year habit.
Bottom line: No matter how bad it sucks to quit, it does not suck near as bad as the Dr. telling you that you have cancer.

Honest..

Rael

Supper's Ready
Dec. 2008, went to ortho doc for a shoulder injury. They did a CAT scan, and found "something odd" in the apex of my left lung. Tests determined it was cancer. Surgery at WHC, March ,4 09. Came home minus the upper left lobe of the lung. Between the pain meds, and patches < they are hard to light BTW > gave up a 2 pack per day, 30+ year habit.
Bottom line: No matter how bad it sucks to quit, it does not suck near as bad as the Dr. telling you that you have cancer.

Honest..
:yeahthat: Glad they found it, and hopefully they got it all.

Agee

I'm a smoker and know what a nasty-azz habit it is! The last time I quit it was cold turkey and lasted for 6 years, but alas fell back into the trap.

Good for you on your new path, your body will thank-you! Chewing on tooth-picks and straws helped, something about the oral fixation?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
You were so LUCKY to have had it caught early enough for treatment. A few years ago my Dad (smoker) developed shortness of breath on his daily walks and waited MONTHS before going to the Dr. about it. When he finally did go to the Dr. it took them months to figure out what was wrong because he also had a heart rhythm abnormality.

When they finally figured out he had lung cancer he was told he had about 4-6 months to live and he was too far advanced for treatment. He and my Step-Mom cried and cried about it. About 6 weeks later he died just 2 months shy of their 25th wedding anniversary.

Now I am VERY worried about developing lung cancer even though it's been many years since I quit smoking.

Thank goodness you found out early!

Honest..

Jameo

What?!
I was standing out on my deck on day, smoking a cigarette and out of the blue, I decided right that second I was done. Put the cigarette out, throw away a new pack and haven't touched one since that day. About a week after I quit I had a bad craving for a cigarette. Like l I could have seriously hurt someone for one :lmao: That was the one and only craving I ever had. That was almost 3 yrs ago. The smell of a cigarette now is enough to make me :barf:

T

toppick08

I'm a smoker and know what a nasty-azz habit it is! The last time I quit it was cold turkey and lasted for 6 years, but alas fell back into the trap.

Good for you on your new path, your body will thank-you! Chewing on tooth-picks and straws helped, something about the oral fixation?

Pretzel rods are good too.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Wow great - it wasn't that easy for me but I did feel better about not smelling like smoke all the time. If I smell cigarettes on someone it smells bad, but to smell a lit cigarette? Sometimes it smells enticing hmmm. NOPE not doing it !!!!!

I was standing out on my deck on day, smoking a cigarette and out of the blue, I decided right that second I was done. Put the cigarette out, throw away a new pack and haven't touched one since that day. About a week after I quit I had a bad craving for a cigarette. Like l I could have seriously hurt someone for one :lmao: That was the one and only craving I ever had. That was almost 3 yrs ago. The smell of a cigarette now is enough to make me :barf:

Rael

Supper's Ready

The last time I quit was for three years, can't believe I went back, but same here.
I'd been thinking about it, but didn't really decide to until I was out of them and thought - give it a try. Guess that's why I wasn't really feeling very strongly about it at first. Maybe I'll become the next 'former smoker nazi' :lol: