Nicotine Withdrawal

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I leveraged a major surgery in to quitting cold turkey back in May of this year. (bone fusion involved and nictotine dramatically inhibits bone fusion/growht). I smoked 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day for 30 years.

The first month of recovery was a biatch regardless..so I cannot directly attribute reports of my apparently nasty demeanor during that time to just nicotine withdrawl.:killingme

But three months later and not a single butt...I'm feeling pretty darned good about it. I still get a 'twinge' of a need when I'm standing with a beer in my hand and someone lights up my old brand right next to me....but even that urge is fading.

The other huge benefit? I'm saving over 300 bucks cash a month by not smoking!.. I don't care who ya are..thats a lot of money that can better go to pay for beer. Or, if ya like this better, that is more than my monthly marina fee. ;-)

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
That was only temporary for me (appetite being bigger) so that too can subside ..... the cashier at Safeway told me she gained so much weight when she quit smoking that she took up smoking again to lose weight. I guess for her the bigger appetite didn't subside.

One other symptom I noticed, too. Bigger appetite. :yay:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Yup savings in cash is big now that prices are so high. When I quit my habit was about $100 a month. In today's market I'd be paying more like $200.

Drinking without a cigarette is VERY hard to get used to for sure. I know someone who ONLY smoked when they drank, that was many years ago as they don't do it anymore.

I leveraged a major surgery in to quitting cold turkey back in May of this year. (bone fusion involved and nictotine dramatically inhibits bone fusion/growht). I smoked 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day for 30 years.

The first month of recovery was a biatch regardless..so I cannot directly attribute reports of my apparently nasty demeanor during that time to just nicotine withdrawl.:killingme

But three months later and not a single butt...I'm feeling pretty darned good about it. I still get a 'twinge' of a need when I'm standing with a beer in my hand and someone lights up my old brand right next to me....but even that urge is fading.

The other huge benefit? I'm saving over 300 bucks cash a month by not smoking!.. I don't care who ya are..thats a lot of money that can better go to pay for beer. Or, if ya like this better, that is more than my monthly marina fee. ;-)

wittykitty

On 11/16/08 I was sitting on my front porch having a smoke and talking with my cousin about our grandmother dying of lung cancer when we were a very young age. During that conversation, I made up my mind that I was done. I enjoyed that last cigarette right down to the filter. I kept the 2 cartons I had as a test to myself and my determination (and I hoped to be able to give them to someone since they’re so expensive). I resisted the test and eventually threw the cartons away.
I found that a new routine was the key to quitting. The hardest time was when I woke up in the morning, so I started fixing my husband breakfast instead of having a morning cigarette.
My body felt very strange during the first few months. I had dizzy spells that I swore were related to my sugar dropping. I had to keep a few candies with me because I came close to passing out on a few occasions. The doctor confirmed that quitting greatly affects your sugar.
The hardest part was the sharp pains in my sides, close to my lungs. This was especially scary cuz I had worried for a few months about cancer until I finally quit smoking. The pains eventually stopped and I only can guess that my lungs were re-hydrating and were probably like a sponge that had dried for a long time and then tried to absorb water…you know how the sponge sort of cracks? I know it must sound silly, but it makes sense to me. I’ve wondered if anyone has experience the same thing.
So, here I am almost 2 years later and I feel better than I have in the 15 years I smoked. Hang in there.

dontknowwhy

I smoke 2 packs aday. when i go to sleep at night i put on 2 high dose patches...i won't quit. my daddy didnt raise no damn quitters!!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I used Chantix to quit after trying various other programs.
3 weeks of pills and now smoke free for 2 1/2 years. It was quite painless, except for the weird dreams

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I smoke 2 packs aday. when i go to sleep at night i put on 2 high dose patches...i won't quit. my daddy didnt raise no damn quitters!!

LOL. Have to admire yr attitude. I used to have a bumper sticker that read "AA is for quitters!"

NTNG

You were so LUCKY to have had it caught early enough for treatment. A few years ago my Dad (smoker) developed shortness of breath on his daily walks and waited MONTHS before going to the Dr. about it. When he finally did go to the Dr. it took them months to figure out what was wrong because he also had a heart rhythm abnormality.

When they finally figured out he had lung cancer he was told he had about 4-6 months to live and he was too far advanced for treatment. He and my Step-Mom cried and cried about it. About 6 weeks later he died just 2 months shy of their 25th wedding anniversary.

Now I am VERY worried about developing lung cancer even though it's been many years since I quit smoking.

Thank goodness you found out early!

Thanks. The docs all said I should buy a lottery ticket, because it was small, and they found it at the earliest possible time.

Sorry about your step dad. Thats great you quit. How many years ago?

belvak

Happy Camper
Okay, so I looked it up to lean on something while going through this. To substantiate the weird feelings of anxiety, the occasional minor cramp, the restlessness/irritability and how slow the day goes that all have become a symptomatic part of me this past week.

I'm happy to report it has been one entire week without lighting up, but not taking any satisfaction or delight that this defines success in the effort. I'm stubborn and tenacious when I put my mind to something, and this is one of those things I want to succeed at doing.
I also believe that telling people one is quitting doesn't mean a thing, nor posting about it. So, it's one day at a time 'til getting over the hump.

Feel free to share your story about quitting, I'll be curious to read them. :yay:

:clap: Good for you!!! Good luck!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
going on 11 years now :biggrin:

Thanks. The docs all said I should buy a lottery ticket, because it was small, and they found it at the earliest possible time.

Sorry about your step dad. Thats great you quit. How many years ago?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Dec. 2008, went to ortho doc for a shoulder injury. They did a CAT scan, and found "something odd" in the apex of my left lung. Tests determined it was cancer. Surgery at WHC, March ,4 09. Came home minus the upper left lobe of the lung. Between the pain meds, and patches < they are hard to light BTW > gave up a 2 pack per day, 30+ year habit.
Bottom line: No matter how bad it sucks to quit, it does not suck near as bad as the Dr. telling you that you have cancer.

Honest..
I quit a couple of years ago, two weeks after that the doctor called me into the office to tell me I had cancer (but not from smoking).

Rael

Supper's Ready
Well, it's a few days later and still having that unsettled nervousness feeling, like I'm bored and don't know what to do next. Feel like a zombie going through the day everyday so far.

Not envying those with cigarettes or even wanting to smoke, and already the smell of them are getting to be somewhat of a turnoff. But what's happening as a result of the chemical dependency is what I think seems to be bothering me. I don't like this feeling at all. It's like a buzz without the buzz. :ohwell:

So far, so good though. :yay:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
That's where the patches came into play - gave me the nicotine w/o the cigarette, so I got used to doing w/o going through the motions of it but still had the nicotine.

Well, it's a few days later and still having that unsettled nervousness feeling, like I'm bored and don't know what to do next. Feel like a zombie going through the day everyday so far.

Not envying those with cigarettes or even wanting to smoke, and already the smell of them are getting to be somewhat of a turnoff. But what's happening as a result of the chemical dependency is what I think seems to be bothering me. I don't like this feeling at all. It's like a buzz without the buzz. :ohwell:

So far, so good though. :yay:

Rael

Supper's Ready
That's where the patches came into play - gave me the nicotine w/o the cigarette, so I got used to doing w/o going through the motions of it but still had the nicotine.
How long did you use the patches? Is it like a slow decrease or something before you finally stop getting the nicotine?

I didn't want to use that method initially, but the sudden absence of it is a weird nervousness all by itself.

I used Chantix to quit after trying various other programs.
3 weeks of pills and now smoke free for 2 1/2 years. It was quite painless, except for the weird dreams

I took chantix also. After the first week I went from 1 1/2 packs a day to 6 cigarettes a day. After week 2 I was done smoking. 3 years I am still smoke free. Chantix was the one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Rael

Supper's Ready
I took chantix also. After the first week I went from 1 1/2 packs a day to 6 cigarettes a day. After week 2 I was done smoking. 3 years I am still smoke free. Chantix was the one of the best decisions I have ever made.
:cool:

Still reluctant about taking it (don't know why, just an aversion to medication I guess), and trying to make it cold turkey.

:cool:

Still reluctant about taking it (don't know why, just an aversion to medication I guess), and trying to make it cold turkey.

I was shocked at how well it killed the cravings, it kept me mellow to. I not a big fan of pills either but if you are still having a hard time quitting you should try chantix.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Okay, so I looked it up to lean on something while going through this. To substantiate the weird feelings of anxiety, the occasional minor cramp, the restlessness/irritability and how slow the day goes that all have become a symptomatic part of me this past week.

I'm happy to report it has been one entire week without lighting up, but not taking any satisfaction or delight that this defines success in the effort. I'm stubborn and tenacious when I put my mind to something, and this is one of those things I want to succeed at doing.

I also believe that telling people one is quitting doesn't mean a thing, nor posting about it. So, it's one day at a time 'til getting over the hump.

Feel free to share your story about quitting, I'll be curious to read them. :yay:

I can actually say that I sympathize with ya. But.....BUT, I replaced one bad habit with another. I quit smoking, but I started chewing. So, all the former smokers I know tell me 'You didn't quit anything. MY argument is, 'Do I SMELL like cigarettes??'