"No Amnesty" petition

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.liddyshow.com/petition.php

One of our sponsors sent me this. Not sure if I'm going to sign or not because I have no problem with amnesty for those who get their paperwork in order and get legal. But if they just get amnesty and can stay undocumented, I'm against that.

So I'll have to find out more about this.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
A co-worker of mine (not the bigot :lol:) just went through a very long, lengthy process of obtaining her citizenship. She was born in Bulgaria, moved to the states with her parents when she was 15, and was told she was a citizen b/c her mom sought citizenship before she (my coworker) turned 18. She found out 2 years ago that she was NOT, in fact, a citizen ... even though she was married to a service member and had actually voted. She is awaiting the appt for her swearing in ceremony now and should be sworn in within the next couple weeks, hopefully.

After seeing all the hell she's gone through to "legitimize" herself as a citizen, I don't see why anyone else should be any different. If she can go through all the crap that is required to obtain the proper credentials to work/live in this wonderful country, so can everyone else who seeks to live here.

ylexot

Super Genius
crabcake said:
After seeing all the hell she's gone through to "legitimize" herself as a citizen, I don't see why anyone else should be any different. If she can go through all the crap that is required to obtain the proper credentials to work/live in this wonderful country, so can everyone else who seeks to live here.
My feeling is that the current system of doing it "the right way" is broken and needs to be fixed. If it was easier to get citizenship legally, fewer would come here illegally (or at the very least, it removes an excuse).

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
What I want to know is why they are called illegal immigrants ?
Doesn't the word illegal mean against the law any more ?
And if the word still means against the law, then I have yet another question.

While the ILLEGAL immigrants were in DC demonstrating.
Why didn't we surround them and arrest them ?

They were right there, all clumped together.
"Who in the hell is running this country anyway ????
That was a no brainier :faint:

unixpirate

Pitty Party
gumbo said:

:yay:

Vince

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Vince said:

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
:notworthy: :yay:

I've often wondered why people associate themselves as "African-American", "Asian-American", "Mexican-American", etc. If where you originated/came from is sooooooo great, go the hell back. :shrug:

Not that it makes a big deal to me, but I can tell when I look at someone if they're a little Asian, Mexican, or African ... why do THEY gotta slap a special label on folks to draw more attention it? :shrug:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I signed a "No Amnesty" petition over at Grassroots.org.
What I like about them is that they have a checkbox next to each major point, so you don't have to agree with all the points. You can just uncheck the ones for which you don't want to sign.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
gumbo said:

It should have been the biggest INS roundup in history.

willie

gumbo said:

And throw Hillary in the slammer for aiding and abetting.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
gumbo said:

:yay:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Vince said:

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Amen!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If you believe in Freedom...

Vince said:

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

...liberty and the persuit of happiness, this should be a no brainer because being an American, what America was and is, is the root of freedom, liberty and the persuit of happiness.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No can do...

vraiblonde said:
http://www.liddyshow.com/petition.php

One of our sponsors sent me this. Not sure if I'm going to sign or not because I have no problem with amnesty for those who get their paperwork in order and get legal. But if they just get amnesty and can stay undocumented, I'm against that.

So I'll have to find out more about this.

...right up to the one year in jail I was on board.

Make it a civil penalty, a stout fine, say, equal to one month of what you were paying the individual, per incidence, AND make sure there is a fully staffed, fully funded, fully functioning (I can dream) federal clearing house so that an employer need only make ONE phone call or a few mouse clicks to verify ID; drivers liscense AND SS # and address and immigration papers.

Illegal immigration is a national problem. The solutions need to be national.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...right up to the one year in jail I was on board.

Make it a civil penalty, a stout fine, say, equal to one month of what you were paying the individual, per incidence, AND make sure there is a fully staffed, fully funded, fully functioning (I can dream) federal clearing house so that an employer need only make ONE phone call or a few mouse clicks to verify ID; drivers liscense AND SS # and address and immigration papers.

Illegal immigration is a national problem. The solutions need to be national.
Signed it.

The year in jail is for knowingly hiring as I understand it.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
...that's what it says. That's not going to help.
There is a difference between knowingly and unwittingly. It goes to intent. Were you duped? No jail time. Did you hire them to save bucks? Sit here for a year and think about it.