No Control

mamatutu

mama to two
You agreed that it was lacking but didn't address the reason

What is the reason? I admit I don't spend my time researching why soMD is lacking in taxi service. I would assume the main reason is because it is a rural area. Also, as Caution, said there are restrictions. Why do you think taxi service is lacking in our area? As I have said before, I value your opinion.

Caution

What is the reason? I admit I don't spend my time researching why soMD is lacking in taxi service. I would assume the main reason is because it is a rural area. Also, as Caution, said there are restrictions. Why do you think taxi service is lacking in our area? As I have said before, I value your opinion.

It's basically due to regulations set forth MANY years ago and that have not been revisited since.

Caution

Well Crap. This is where I was:

SOLOMONS | CALVERT | ZANHISERS MARINA 245 C STREET | WATER RESCUE- SUBJECT IN WATER- POLICE ON SCENE REPORT RECOVERY OPERATION PRI 4

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-Maryland-Breaking-News/297581553701680?hc_location=timeline

Made a couple of texts about this to those that work there I figured were awake. Probably happened right close to the time I left. I am sure the authorities have woken up those folks who need to be involved. Bad thing is I likely knew whoever it was. I kinda know a lot of folks there. :(

Caution

Except cabs?

I suppose there is a potential for profit there if you most of your own maintenance work.

This area is steadily growing. I am sure at some point in time the local government will blow the dust off of some of these regulations and revisit them.

frequentflier

happy to be living
You think that could happen? I don't think the market and the infrastructure could ever warrant that

A couple local business men have researched and are bringing a plan together for the unused docks at the Navy Rec Center to be used for smaller cruise ships to load and unload passengers. We have seen the plans and discussed it at length with one of the local attorneys involved. He has written several letters to the editor in the local papers and there was a small article in one of the papers a couple weeks ago (I think it was the Calvert Recorder)

He told my husband and I that he has received a lot of positive feedback from both businesses and the locals regarding this. The Baltimore harbor cannot handle any more traffic and these businessmen feel Solomons would be a great alternative with the deep channels that were once used for Navy ships.

We were both impressed with the plans and think it is doable!

frequentflier

happy to be living
Made a couple of texts about this to those that work there I figured were awake. Probably happened right close to the time I left. I am sure the authorities have woken up those folks who need to be involved. Bad thing is I likely knew whoever it was. I kinda know a lot of folks there. :(

Any more information on what happened?

NextJen

Raisin cane
:howdy:
I suppose there is a potential for profit there if you most of your own maintenance work.

This area is steadily growing. I am sure at some point in time the local government will blow the dust off of some of these regulations and revisit them.

:howdy: Good morning, Caution. Hopefully you don't have a headache this morning.

I just read through this thread. Glad you made it home alright. Did you ever hear what happened with the water rescue?

Caution

A couple local business men have researched and are bringing a plan together for the unused docks at the Navy Rec Center to be used for smaller cruise ships to load and unload passengers. We have seen the plans and discussed it at length with one of the local attorneys involved. He has written several letters to the editor in the local papers and there was a small article in one of the papers a couple weeks ago (I think it was the Calvert Recorder)

He told my husband and I that he has received a lot of positive feedback from both businesses and the locals regarding this. The Baltimore harbor cannot handle any more traffic and these businessmen feel Solomons would be a great alternative with the deep channels that were once used for Navy ships.

We were both impressed with the plans and think it is doable!

The boat I saw at Zahnisers Marina about two years ago was likely every bit of 150' - 200' feet long. I had my Camera with me and I could not get the whole ship in one frame. I was told it was one of Microsoft's Corporate ships that kinda beebops up and down the Atlantic Seaboard. But they had this monstrosity in the Harbor there at Solomons. It was huge as compared to anything else I had ever seen over there. So it is doable.

Caution

:howdy:

:howdy: Good morning, Caution. Hopefully you don't have a headache this morning.

I just read through this thread. Glad you made it home alright. Did you ever hear what happened with the water rescue?

LOL No headache. I did make a phone call to a buddy that works there this morning but he did not know anything about it as yet. I am sure once owners and managers get there they will know.

nutz

A couple local business men have researched and are bringing a plan together for the unused docks at the Navy Rec Center to be used for smaller cruise ships to load and unload passengers. We have seen the plans and discussed it at length with one of the local attorneys involved.

The Navy has plans to sell/lease the docks?

NextJen

Raisin cane
LOL No headache. I did make a phone call to a buddy that works there this morning but he did not know anything about it as yet. I am sure once owners and managers get there they will know.

Uh-oh. I'm seeing a news source that says that Rescue crews were dispatched to 245 C Street at the Zahnisers Yachting Center in Solomons around 11pm. It says a body was found in the water. For some reason I can't get the link to open or I'd share it. :frown:

Caution

Any more information on what happened?

I kinda doubt I will hear much on it for a few days. The Folks that run that Marina have a lot of integrity and I think will probably keep this kinda of quiet out of respect for those involved.

Only reason I called my buddy is because he lives on his boat there during the week and I just wanted to make sure it was not him.

Caution

On the Bay Net now:

Body found in water at Yachting Center - Southern Maryland News

On December 4, 2013, Rescue Crews were dispatched to 245 C Steet at the Zahnisers Yachting Center in Solomon's for a person in the water around 11:00pm.

Police arrived first and advised that the subject was deceased and it would be a body recovery not a rescue.

The Body was recovered by fire department personnel at 11:26pm. The body was a male subject who had been missing for 36 hours prior.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But look at the number of DWI's. Outrageous. OK Put some money, time and effort into providing suitable alternatives to folks that have a couple.

but then the police would not have to set up road blocks and wear their Tacicool Gear

Caution

but then the police would not have to set up road blocks and wear their Tacicool Gear

I think they have to have all that stuff so they look cool when the TV Show COPS wants to make a show about them. Gotta be prepared :yay:

frequentflier

happy to be living
The pier that burned and was never rebuilt?

My husband would be better w/ the details than I am. There were three different blueprints with different docks and parking; all in the area where the burned pier is.
As far as the Navy Rec Center, there have been rumors going around for years that they don't have the money to maintain the property and would like to get rid of it.

Caution

My husband would be better w/ the details than I am. There were three different blueprints with different docks and parking; all in the area where the burned pier is.
As far as the Navy Rec Center, there have been rumors going around for years that they don't have the money to maintain the property and would like to get rid of it.

I believe that was on the BRAC list some years back. I don't think it was ever actually slated for closure but I do seem to recall they were looking at it back then.

Last edited: