No gas furnace for you!

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! SMC assures us that Democrats are doing no such thing.

They're not trying to do away with ICE cars, Gas Stoves, oil furnaces, Wood Fired Pizza ovens or any of the myriad of things that these mysterious pieces of legislation keep targeting.

These Bills, Laws, Policy Changes, Executive orders and other decrees must be popping in from an alternate universe.

:jet:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! SMC assures us that Democrats are doing no such thing.

They're not trying to do away with ICE cars, Gas Stoves, oil furnaces, Wood Fired Pizza ovens or any of the myriad of things that these mysterious pieces of legislation keep targeting.

These Bills, Laws, Policy Changes, Executive orders and other decrees must be popping in from an alternate universe.

:jet:

She and her ilk are products of indoctrination and brainwashing. She will never read that story and if she accidentally reads the headline her brain will X it out, and she'll run over real quick to blather her preinstalled talking points to the contrary.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
“The homes we've electrified under these standards.... there are lower energy bills, safer homes, housing values are going up and people are healthier," Norton said.
:killingme What a total crock of poo!! The whole reason we just spent 20K last year replacing the entire HVAC system in our apartment building, and going with propane backup instead of electric, was to avoid the massive cost hits we were getting every time we had a cold snap and the electric backup kicked in for any length of time.
:killingme

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
:killingme What a total crock of poo!! The whole reason we just spent 20K last year replacing the entire HVAC system in our apartment building, and going with propane backup instead of electric, was to avoid the massive cost hits we were getting every time we had a cold snap and the electric backup kicked in for any length of time.

I had that at my last place. Spins that meter like a gyroscope.

This time around, I've got Oil backup.

House stays warm and doesn't cost a mint, even with the elevated price of oil.

limblips

PREMO Member
Just one more step towards total control of our lives. Phuck them! Maybe the Unabomber wasn't so crazy after all.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Its a well known fact that electric heat pumps lose a massive amount of efficiency and cost a LOT more to operate when the temp falls at or below 40 degrees. Why they keep pushing these things in MD is just plain stupid!
$$$$$$$$$$$

phreddyp

Its a well known fact that electric heat pumps lose a massive amount of efficiency and cost a LOT more to operate when the temp falls at or below 40 degrees. Why they keep pushing these things in MD is just plain stupid!
Why ? Because you always get a better than a 1 to 1 ratio with a heat pump even at 0 degrees.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Oh Christ, now you've done it. The heat pump fanboys are almost as bad as the EV fanboys. They'll tell you you're wrong, that the new generation heat pumps are good down to -20.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oil is the best hands down.
The system that was replaced was oil heat, and electric AC..and 25+ years old. I needed to increase our limited propane storage to support our 12KW propane generator. We were pleasantly surprised last winter (admittedly a mild one) because our new 23 SEER heat pump took care of all the heat in the apartments and didn't need the propane backup. Barely noticed an increase in our monthly electric bill (maybe $75?) and no longer spend $1200 every winter on fuel oil.

The system we have with electric backup is on the shop/office building and that's one heck of an electric bill we get some winter months..

The 5-zone system we had installed in the new house has electric backup but since its all "modern" HVAC equipment, and the house will be super-insulated, including between interior zones, I think we'll be OK with the electric backup in that one.

Clem72

I think they are banking on an 80% type of situation, where modern heat pumps will be cheaper for heating a majority of the time and will offset the times you need to fire up the toaster oven coils for heat.

They might even be right if we see some more of that global warming they are predicting.

I think if you get a heat pump with an HSPF greater than 9 you can get acceptable performance even below 0F. But somehow I don't think they are going to mandate that people buy the premium models.

phreddyp

The system that was replaced was oil heat, and electric AC..and 25+ years old. I needed to increase our limited propane storage to support our 12KW propane generator. We were pleasantly surprised last winter (admittedly a mild one) because our new 23 SEER heat pump took care of all the heat in the apartments and didn't need the propane backup. Barely noticed an increase in our monthly electric bill (maybe $75?) and no longer spend $1200 every winter on fuel oil.

Works for me!
Yeah I can understand that I would definitely want a propane generator vs a diesel one and why have more than one fossil fuel source? The newer heat pumps work great!

PeoplesElbow

Gas furnaces are great, lots of heat, the fuel is pretty cheap, and there is next to no maintained with them unlike oil.

If you feel cold a heat pump just don't provide the same feel.

All you people that said you would rather have a Democrat than a RINO remember this crap because you are every bit as much to blame as the democrats for this.