No gas furnace for you!

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I boost the shop (business) heat with wood to the tune of 5 cords burnt every winter. But no way the missus will allow another wood stove in our dwelling after losing the old house to a chimney fire.

They make outside wood furnaces now.

phreddyp

I boost the shop (business) heat with wood to the tune of 5 cords burnt every winter. But no way the missus will allow another wood stove in our dwelling after losing the old house to a chimney fire.
I understand, I love mine
Old huntsman bought in 1978, still in use

limblips

PREMO Member
NY has enacted numerous regulations and restrictions on outdoor wood boilers but then they are just California East. some municipalities have forbidden them outright. More liberal feel good self-gratification.

phreddyp

Gas is better, just as hot, no delivery to deal with and none of my mom's furnaces have ever needed cleaned or anything, she just replaced after 25-30 years mostly because the air handler motor wore out.
No way, you are dependent upon a utility to deliver. Oil and propane are stored onsite, and you can store pretty much what you desire. Not much chance to not have a supply if needed.

Blister

Gas is better, just as hot, no delivery to deal with and none of my mom's furnaces have ever needed cleaned or anything, she just replaced after 25-30 years mostly because the air handler motor wore out.
If Natural Gas was available in most of SOMD, I would completely agree. Realistically, residential heating systems in almost all of this area is either electric, oil, bottled gas, or wood. When highly efficient and clean natural gas is regulated out of existence, oil, and wood will be next. Once they are gone, electric heat, being the only allowable source will be taxed as much as needed to curtail usage.

Just like diesel/gas vehicle fuel tax will be raised until EV's are the only option.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If Natural Gas was available in most of SOMD, I would completely agree. Realistically, residential heating systems in almost all of this area is either electric, oil, bottled gas, or wood. When highly efficient and clean natural gas is regulated out of existence, oil, and wood will be next. Once they are gone, electric heat, being the only allowable source will be taxed as much as needed to curtail usage.

Just like diesel/gas vehicle fuel tax will be raised until EV's are the only option.
I remember several years ago when the push to get rid of coal started, I predicted that natural gas would be next. I was laughed at, ridiculed and called a conspiracy theorist.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I remember several years ago when the push to get rid of coal started, I predicted that natural gas would be next. I was laughed at, ridiculed and called a conspiracy theorist.

Funny how "they" don't want us using natural gas anymore. Though seems, after that orchestrated Nord Stream pipeline destruction, that all our natgas is now being shipped over the big ponds to Europe and Asia and India. Also kinda funny, is soon after that pipeline went boom, that Berkshire Hathaway bought out Dominion ownership of out LNG plant. Hummmmmm.

For some reason, it seems that all of our natural resources are being sold, exported, leaving nothing here for us to use. I have a theory .........

PeoplesElbow

No way, you are dependent upon a utility to deliver. Oil and propane are stored onsite, and you can store pretty much what you desire. Not much chance to not have a supply if needed.
Out of the pipe costs about 1/4 what propane costs.

PeoplesElbow

Cost doesn't mean a lot when you need the energy, I love knowing that I can go at least a month without worrying about it.
But you are still reliant on the truck, the gas getting to their facility etc. I see a pipe as more reliable than a delivery service.

phreddyp

But you are still reliant on the truck, the gas getting to their facility etc. I see a pipe as more reliable than a delivery service.
The idea is onsite storage. If you cannot get delivery, most likely there is going to be a reason, flood, earthquake, ice storm, EMP, cyber-attack. Pipelines may be in operatable, nope I like having a cushion especially with the electrical grid becoming being strained.

steppinthrax

I skimmed through the executive order mentioned in the article. It primarily directs various state agencies to implement policies for making Maryland greener. Nowhere did I read about forbidding the use of gas furnaces. The order does mention "zero-emissions" heating, but it is very open-ended. The article states, "Among the measures is a directive to the Maryland Department of Environment to phase out the installation of carbon-spewing, gas-fired furnaces in homes by 2035," but the executive order itself says "clean energy by 2035."