No gas furnace for you!

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I skimmed through the executive order mentioned in the article. It primarily directs various state agencies to implement policies for making Maryland greener. Nowhere did I read about forbidding the use of gas furnaces. The order does mention "zero-emissions" heating, but it is very open-ended. The article states, "Among the measures is a directive to the Maryland Department of Environment to phase out the installation of carbon-spewing, gas-fired furnaces in homes by 2035," but the executive order itself says "clean energy by 2035."
What do you suppose that means?

If I remember correctly, and I do, it wasn't all that long ago (well, several years) that you were complaining that you didn't have natural gas service to your house and couldn't figure out why.

Last edited:

steppinthrax

What do you suppose that means?

If I remember correctly, and I do, it wasn't all that long ago (well, several years) that you were complaining that you didn't have natural gas service to your house and couldn't figure out why.

It's open for interpretation. Lennox has already introduced their Ultra Low NOx gas furnaces, which comply with regulations in parts of California, a state known for its stringent environmental policies. If I recall correctly, California has a more aggressive regulation explicitly banning natural gas furnaces by 2030. There's nothing about this in the Maryland executive order. California's approach focuses on lowering NOx emissions, and Lennox is addressing this by producing compliant furnaces.

Yes, I remember the conversation. I also think we mentioned that it would be a pipe dream, like getting FIOS in the area. I was not insinuating in my last response that I am against natural gas. Both my townhouse in Baltimore and condo in Frederick have natural gas. I’m open-minded. I'm just a little confused, as it seems you guys are suggesting they are somehow going to start ripping the gas lines out from the streets of Baltimore and removing gas furnaces by next week.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I'm just a little confused, as it seems you guys are suggesting they are somehow going to start ripping the gas lines out from the streets of Baltimore and removing gas furnaces by next week.

Wow.

I went back and reread all this and no where, did I see anyone suggest that.

Putting a halt to new and replacement gas systems, however, would bring about it's eventual demise.

steppinthrax

Wow.

I went back and reread all this and no where, did I see anyone suggest that.

Putting a halt to new and replacement gas systems, however, would bring about it's eventual demise.
I don't think so.

They are betting on heat pumps. Geothermal systems, though more efficient, have prohibitively high upfront costs. The new ultra-high-efficiency heat pumps no longer require an AUX heater; they are already available. I mentioned the Lennox Ultra Low NOx furnaces, which likely represent the future direction for natural gas. So, improvements are being made in both technologies. When heat pumps eventually address all the current complaints, you'll start to see a phase-out of gas furnaces. By then, many new builds would would have HP where a gas furance would've been and the public will generally accept them.