Not Good

FED_UP

Wouldn't you say the opposite would be true if they HAVEN'T been paying the fee?

What they put in it might have had some value at the time, then I guess later they say, well I don't really need that stuff anymore. I wonder if any of these people got hold of the storage place today to try and save there belongings?

Last edited:

lovinmaryland

Wouldn't you say the opposite would be true if they HAVEN'T been paying the fee?

Well if they dont have any place for the stuff. That and if it were me I would take all my #### out of the unit BEFORE they had the auction leaving the junk behind :lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well if they dont have any place for the stuff. That and if it were me I would take all my #### out of the unit BEFORE they had the auction leaving the junk behind :lol:

Ed Zachary.. that's what I'm saying. If You KNEW you weren't going to pay the bill, I'd be sure to get all the good stuff out before..

Justme2

Most of the time

People that are out of room or evicted with no place to go but live with some one. Rents a storage area and when things get really tough and they know they are not going to make the payments. Or found some where else to live out of state they come and collect what is important to them or worth value before the payment is due or the lock goes on. It's easier to leave it behind and let the storage place to dispose of the items stored. And most of the time the storage places do not even try to collect the rest of the money once the have auction the belongings.

Last edited:

FED_UP

That happens when you post too much in one day.

I wonder if someone will get something of value. I might go just to see what happens. Probably one of the owners on the list will show up and buy the stuff back for about 300 even though they owe the owner 600, not a bad deal along with the free storage months they got.

onelove6366

I had a storage unit when still married to my ex - we separated and I took over the storage unit. Then moved from WV back here to MD. After loading the moving truck all day from a 3rd floor flat on Main Street in Charles Town, I was just too pooped to get to the storage unit and planned to come back for my things which included photo albums from my first child's first few years, antiques left to me by my grandmother and some antique furniture given to me by a friend along with other misc. items. After moving down here and dealing with a fiasco with my mother , the cost of a heated custody battle that my 2nd husband was going through - I just didn't have the money to keep up the payments and had to let it go. It breaks my heart still that I lost things that were dear to me and that it was partly due to the actions of my own mother but you can't cry over spilled milk. It is what it is. I just tell myself they were lost in a fire and don't waste too much time brooding over it.

So, everyone who loses these storage spaces aren't dumbasses - some are just in a bad place in life and just can't get the money and for me the distance was a factor as well.

Just thought I'd give you guys another side to that story.

ewashkow

I had a storage unit once and I will never have another one.

We paid for three months up front and set up for automatic withdrawls after that. During the first week of the month my husband went to the unit to pick up some tools he was going to need for a side job. The tools were kept in the storage unit because even though he used them, it wasn't something he needed on every job. There was a lock on the unit.

Of course the office was closed so he couldn't figure out why. I called the after hours number and was told my bill wasn't paid. I informed them that I was set up on auto withdrawls on the 1st of the month and according to my bank statement, the money had been taken from my account. The service left a message with the storage manager and the next day I got a call apologizing about the mistake and they would take the lock off.

About a week later, hubby went back to the unit and the lock was still there. The next day I went to the facility and when I asked for a refund to my account since it was not an error on my end that the unit was inaccessable, I was told that it was to late to do anything. They proceeded to inform me that corporate wouldn't allow them to give refunds that late after the lock went on. If I had called within the first week, I might have been able to do something but since it was two weeks there was nothing they could do.

I reminded the woman that it wasn't my fault the unit was inaccessable for those two weeks. My bill had been paid and they still locked me out. I was then asked why I didn't come regularly to check on my unit. The company seriously expects people to come and regularly use/inspect their unit. My question to that was why store things that you will need regularly? If they are an everyday use, don't you think people would just keep the items at home? After that, we cancelled our contract with the facility, fixed up a trailer to store the items, and have never been locked out of that.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
The hubby is watching some show on SPIKE TV right now where they are auctioning off storage units, for those who want to see the process.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I used to work for a moving & storage company. I went to one of their storage auctions and got my antique bedroom dresser set (with mirror and a full bed headboard, rails/frame) I remember that I only had about $250.00 to spend. So I was bidding and was up to about $240.00, when I thought for sure another bidder was going to snatch it right away. :bawl:

One of the bidders was a furniture buyer, and he asked if I was buying the set for myself. I guess he noticed the pleading, puppy dog eyes as I said YES and he felt sorry for me and backed out of the bidding. It was a great deal then and it's an even better deal after 25 more years! They don't make furniture like that anymore.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have a friend who used to manage a storage lot. While the ownership can auction off your unit after a couple months most wait 4 to 6 months to at least give the folks the chance to pay their bill. The belongings are considered abandoned after that.

When you bid on the unit, all you can see is the outermost items. Obviously furniture is the most common item to find. On occasion a hidden treasure can be found.

I too feel for those who might have photos or heirlooms in storage but if they were so important don't you think they might try harder to get the bill paid?

I recently retrieved the last of my personal belongings that have been in storage for several years. I made sure that I wasn't late for a single payment on the unit before paying any other bill.

x2. An old friend of mine has been an owner/operator of a storage biz for 30 years and counting. Way back when, I showed up at a couple of the disposal sales (as noted, they happen very often..) and quickly determined that it was largely a waste of my time....tons of personal belongings, cheap furniture..etc makes up the bulk of it.

We had visions of him opening up the storage door and there would sit a 1938 Packard...a collection of old gambling machines..a cabinet full of shotguns. Nah..it was instead about the same as hitting yard sales in a trailer park.:bigwhoop:

sockgirl77

Could be the stuff from a double life he may have led.

You mean like some man trolling for women on the internet behind his wife's back? No, this way a very sweet old man that I used to shoot pool with. However, the unit was his wife's. Not sure what she kept in it. I just hope that she was able to pay it before it was auctioned off.