novice hikers

Elle

Happy Camper!
Which would be a better choice for a group of novice hikers – Sugarloaf Mt. or Great Falls Park?

Elle said:
Which would be a better choice for a group of novice hikers – Sugarloaf Mt. or Great Falls Park?
I just called an expert voice in this and she says without a doubt go with Great Falls Park. :yay:

Elle

Happy Camper!
OK so which trail would be the best, there are only 16of them to choose from and that's just on the Maryland side.

To me it's all about scenic pictures.

Last edited:
The chief features of the mountain are its reasonably close proximity to Washington, D.C. (it's the closest mountain to the Metro area), its easy accessibility to the summit, and the VIEWS. For families with small children who are not willing to endure the two hour drive to Shenandoah National Park, South Mountain State Park, or Catoctin Mountain Park, Sugarloaf provides the perfect retreat for taking the toddlers on a mountain adventure. From the West View parking area, it's just a short (but in some cases, steep) 350 foot climb to the summit. Most toddlers above the age of five will be up to it, even if it might get the parent's heart pumping on the way up. From the highest summit (there is a major and minor peak on the mountain), there are exceptional views to the south and west on the readily accessible rocks. If you're not willing to make the climb, you can satisfy yourself with equally impressive views to the south and west from the West View parking area, or to the east at the East View parking area. There are also picnic areas, porta johns, and at the West View parking area, a "snack shack" serving cider and othe edibles. (The Snak Shack is operated by a local family, and the operating hours are "when business is to be had".) What a neat mountain to visit.

Trails worth hiking?
The complex of trails immediately surrounding the peak make for short, but in places strenuous, hiking. The green-blazed A.M. Thomas Trail ascends 1/4 mile from West View on stone steps laid by Thomas, Stronghold's first superintendent. The orange-blazed Sunrise Trail is steep. It goes up from East View, reaching the summit in 1/4 mile. The Monadnock Trail, again only 1/4 mile and steep in spots, is blazed red. It departs the blue-blazed Northern Peaks Trail on the north side of the mountain.
Two other trails permit more lengthy excursions on the mountain. The Northern Peaks Trail, mentioned above, is about 5 miles long. This trail leads into the relatively lightly-used northern hinterland of Sugarloaf -- an area reminiscent of Shenandoah National Park in both appearance and remoteness (but a much shorter drive from Washington). White Rocks provides an excellent vantage point along this trail. Finally, the southern portion of the white-blazed Mountain Loop Trail can be used to lengthen a Northern Peaks circuit hike around Sugarloaf from five to seven miles. The whole trail makes for a 2 1/2-mile circuit. The Mountain Loop can be reached via the Northern Peaks Trail, or indirectly from parking areas and road crossings. The Saddleback Horse Trailrings the entire mountain and can be hiked as a 7-mile loop.

As you can see, there are lots of hiking opportunties available on the moutain for all levels of skill and stamina. When you're finished with your hike, you can always stop by the always busy Comus Inn for lunch/dinner or their excellent Sunday brunch (entrees, $6.50 to $12.50 lunch, $11 to $21 dinner (1995), reservations are recommended, call 428-8593 local).
Whatever you do don't hike up Seneca Rocks in August unless you are really in shape.:lmao:

Elle said:
A pretty easy hike is White Oaks Canyon trail in Shenendoah Park. It's got a waterfall you can climb down to if you want.

Elle

Happy Camper!
desertrat said:
A pretty easy hike is White Oaks Canyon trail in Shenendoah Park. It's got a waterfall you can climb down to if you want.
Thanks, plan to head there in late October already.

Gwydion

Another great option is hiking and camping in Cunningham Falls State Park. Awesome scenery, awesome campground. It has a huge basin to go swimming in in the summer, and you can climb the falls. The trails are pretty nice to, and some of the scenes are fantastic!

Elle

Happy Camper!
Gwydion said:
Another great option is hiking and camping in Cunningham Falls State Park. Awesome scenery, awesome campground. It has a huge basin to go swimming in in the summer, and you can climb the falls. The trails are pretty nice to, and some of the scenes are fantastic!
:lol: This, along with Patapsco State Park are on my list of must see places this camping season. We don't have def. dates defined but they'll just be last minute weekend getaways. I've had Cunningham Falls on my camping list for 3 years now so this year I'm determined to make it there. Looks like I've made some good choices for this year.

Last edited:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Anyone done Maryland Heights in Harppers Ferry? I'm hoping I can convince my friends we need to do this when we take our girls tubing trip in July.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Elle said:
Anyone done Maryland Heights in Harppers Ferry? I'm hoping I can convince my friends we need to do this when we take our girls tubing trip in July.
Can I get some info on where you are taking your tubing trip?

Elle

Happy Camper!
CMC122 said:
Can I get some info on where you are taking your tubing trip?
I think we are going to use River Riders. There is also River & Trail Outfitters. I think there is one other tubing company there but I'm not making the arrangements for that so I'm not totally sure.

We are staying at the Comfort Suites in Martinsburg that I think it about 30 minutes away from HF. But if we go back in August for a family trip I want to stay in the tree houses.

And I want to go to Maryland Heights so that I can get a picture like this

Last edited:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Elle said:
I think we are going to use River Riders. There is also River & Trail Outfitters. I think there is one other tubing company there but I'm not making the arrangements for that so I'm not totally sure.

We are staying at the Comfort Suites in Martinsburg that I think it about 30 minutes away from HF. But if we go back in August for a family trip I want to stay in the tree houses.

And I want to go to Maryland Heights so that I can get a picture like this
You got it all planned, don't ya:lmao:

I found those tree houses years ago and always wanted to go but now that we have a camper somebody won't stay in anything but the camper:ohwell:

Thanks for the tubing links:yay:

Gwydion

Could you define "Novice Hikers"? aka is this your family? If so are their kids involved? Or is this more along the lines of A bunch of adults trying to get out into Nature?

MD Heights is amazing. And with the layout of Harpers Ferry, even walking through that town is a hike...you can often see people with backpacks enjoying it.

You could also try the AT. There are a lot of good points throughout the same area.

The other thing you can do is look at combining a hiking trip with a little rock climbing trip. Check out Annapolis Rocks. It is awesome for climbing!
http://www.patc.net/chapters/mtn_sect/annapolisrocks.htm

Elle

Happy Camper!
Gwydion said:
Could you define "Novice Hikers"? aka is this your family? If so are their kids involved? Or is this more along the lines of A bunch of adults trying to get out into Nature?

Both, mostly family (me, hubby and almost 9 y/o) but also a couple of girls only trips.

Gwydion said:
MD Heights is amazing. And with the layout of Harpers Ferry, even walking through that town is a hike...you can often see people with backpacks enjoying it.

I just want the picture, is the hike something anyone could do?

Gwydion said:
The other thing you can do is look at combining a hiking trip with a little rock climbing trip. Check out Annapolis Rocks. It is awesome for climbing!
http://www.patc.net/chapters/mtn_sect/annapolisrocks.htm
Thanks I will look into this. I'm afraid of heights (yet I want to hike mountains) but hubby and eventually the little man may really enjoy this.

SeaRide

Elle said:
But if we go back in August for a family trip I want to stay in the tree houses.

Been there, done that. Not ideal for big tent unless you want to set it up in the open field. Some tent sites are nice and some are somewhat too steep to park and sleep. I had to find me an 'almost-flat' spot for my 2-person dome tent. I like the cabins up in the trees and kept that in mind for winter camping in the future. The outdoor shower are something else. Lots of peek holes unless it has changed over last few years.
I recall the owners being nice and friendly. Small campground but cute. Right next to the ..umm what-the-name state park.

Gwydion

I just want the picture, is the hike something anyone could do?

As with all of Harpers ferry, its going to be a lot of uphill walking. I did it a lot as a kid, and my boy scout trip did it without too many stranglers...so it is definatly do-able. It's relatively short though, and it wouldn't take more than 5 hours if i recall to do. So, if yourt rying to make it a weekend trip, combine it with some history of Harper's ferry, or jump to another trail as well.

There is this absolutly amazing trail at Harper's ferry my dad used to take me on all the time. It wasn't designated as a trail and you had to park along-side the road, but it was well travelled and well known. Im sure if you went up and asked some locals about alternate hiking paths you would find it. The great thing about that was it wound around a lot, so it never really felt like you were climbing so steeply uphill....and it made it longer.