novice hikers

huntr1 said:
There is a guide book called Circuit Hikes of Shanendoah NP (or something like that). Good book to have.

One of the easiest and best hikes I have EVER done (and I did a LOT of hiking in Scouts and in college) is Jeremy's Run. It's in the book above. Only thing is do it in reverse rotation from the way the book says. Book sends you uphill for most of the first day and downhill for most of the second day. Something like 22 stream crossings in the 10 or so mile hike.
desertrat said:
Why is that bad? When I hiked the Grand Canyon I sure wished I'd been going downhill on the way back. :lmao:
hvp05 said:
Well, they way he described it - "uphill for most of the first day and downhill for most of the second day" - it would still be uphill one day and downhill the next even going opposite the recommended route. I'm guessing the views going in one direction are better than the other which may be somewhat anti-climactic. :shrug:
:stupid: My bad. I mis-typed. The book sends you downhill the first day and uphill the second day. Much easier to go downhill the second day.

huntr1 said:
:stupid: My bad. I mis-typed. The book sends you downhill the first day and uphill the second day. Much easier to go downhill the second day.
On the other hand, if you were spending a night or two, your load would be lighter on the way back. Going uphill then could make sense.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
desertrat said:
I was thinking about that, but heard it was usually very crowded. Not true?
From what I've heard... it is. I have only been up OR once - a nice weather day a few years ago - and there were quite a few others up there. Obviously a well-traveled trail, noted by the wear. OR is one of the top 5 Shenandoah trails I hear mentioned most.

B

Big Fatty

desertrat said:
I was thinking about that, but heard it was usually very crowded. Not true?

Depends on when you go. Weekday :yay: Weekend or Holiday :boo:

We have done the hike on "All of the Above". Go during a weekday. No crowd and a black bear may cross your path!

Bushy23

I really enjoyed Old Rag. I wouldn't call it "easy" for the average person, since you do huff and puff during the switch backs. Of course, I have gone when it was 90 out. But crawling around the rocks near the top is really fun and the view at the top is amazing. Espcially considering how close it is to the metropolitan area. The crowdedness of the trail can be a good thing if you need help on some of the harder parts. My friend and I were behind a dad and his 5 year old kid, who got lots of help to make it to the top. So that was cool to see. The earlier in the day you go can help you avoid the crowds.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Bushy23 said:
Of course, I have gone when it was 90 out.
Ugh.

Bushy23 said:
But crawling around the rocks near the top is really fun
Yep. :yay:

Bushy23 said:
My friend and I were behind a dad and his 5 year old kid, who got lots of help to make it to the top.
My friend and I caught up with several others who were all adults, but quickly formed a camaraderie trying to scale some of the larger boulders.

:lol: Actually, I just remembered a funny anecdote from that day... soon after we started the trail - maybe 10 minutes in - we passed a mother with two or three kids resting on the trailside... eating doughnuts as nourishment.

AND each of them was already relatively overweight. :bonk:

desertrat said:
Sure is. Right off Rt 5 between Callaway and Leonardtown. St Marys River State Park.

there are a few sections where you will have to walk your bike, but not that many... also see a lot of horses on the trail as well

B

Big Fatty

Elle said:
Anyone done Maryland Heights in Harppers Ferry? I'm hoping I can convince my friends we need to do this when we take our girls tubing trip in July.

Very cool hike. Beautiful view down onto Harper's Ferry. Lots of interesting history tidbits to soak in too. Bring bug repellent.

daisycreek said:
there are a few sections where you will have to walk your bike, but not that many... also see a lot of horses on the trail as well
Only place we had to walk/carry was the main stream crossing. No one was brave enough to try the one log bridge. :lmao: The big gully was challenging. We spent about 1/2 hour there playing around.