novice hikers

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Gwydion said:
Another great option is hiking and camping in Cunningham Falls State Park. Awesome scenery, awesome campground. It has a huge basin to go swimming in in the summer, and you can climb the falls. The trails are pretty nice to, and some of the scenes are fantastic!
I was in this park 8 years ago and it was rather a disappointment. The 78-foot main falls are cascading, so there is no grand drop or anything.

Some of the views from the hills are disappointing as well. If you look east over Thurmont it's all flat. Looking west is more hilly and rural, which is nice.

Overall, I thought the trails were nice and probably would be family-friendly. But the area may have changed a good bit in these past few years.

Gwydion

hvp05 said:
I was in this park 8 years ago and it was rather a disappointment. The 78-foot main falls are cascading, so there is no grand drop or anything.

Some of the views from the hills are disappointing as well. If you look east over Thurmont it's all flat. Looking west is more hilly and rural, which is nice.

Overall, I thought the trails were nice and probably would be family-friendly. But the area may have changed a good bit in these past few years.

Yea, the falls are cascading, so it isn't really all that impressive. But, it also means that it is climbable, and a lot of fun to use as a water slide. SO if you have kids, it is a blast. And the scenery is nice, but whats great about it is the trails aren't steep to get up.

Being in a Boy Scout Troop based in Walkersville, we made the Catoctin Mtns our primary weekend hiking/camping spot, which made it a lot of fun. There is also a huge lake with a running water shower/bathrrom unit for people that like camping with the "at-home" feel. It is definatly one of the more kid-friendly hiking areas.

My friend and I went hiking in western MD a few summers ago. There is a huge 45 mile circuit course that takes you along the C&O canal and through the Paw Paw Tunnel in Green Ridge State Forest.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/greenridgetrails.html
It was amazing, although this is defiantly not one for the kids. The hikes (when not on the C&O) go almost straight up, and it was exhausting. If you and other hardy people want an experience though, this the THE place to do it. The trails are poorly marked, and most fo the time you will be walking through very very desloate areas, but the views are nothing short of amazing.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Gwydion said:
Yea, the falls are cascading, so it isn't really all that impressive. But, it also means that it is climbable, and a lot of fun to use as a water slide. SO if you have kids, it is a blast. And the scenery is nice, but whats great about it is the trails aren't steep to get up.

Being in a Boy Scout Troop based in Walkersville, we made the Catoctin Mtns our primary weekend hiking/camping spot, which made it a lot of fun. There is also a huge lake with a running water shower/bathrrom unit for people that like camping with the "at-home" feel. It is definatly one of the more kid-friendly hiking areas.
Great to hear, I can't wait to go there this summer

lkt

curly-locks
A nice weekend day hike is the st. mary's river state park, only 7.5 miles but a pretty walk!

Elle

Happy Camper!
Just as an update, Great Falls was a great place to visit. I wouldn’t actually call the trails we did a hike but the scenery was awesome. I think we’ll be going back again when we go through that area.

Elle said:
Just as an update, Great Falls was a great place to visit. I wouldn’t actually call the trails we did a hike but the scenery was awesome. I think we’ll be going back again when we go through that area.
Which side did you hit?

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Gwydion said:
Another great option is hiking and camping in Cunningham Falls State Park. Awesome scenery, awesome campground. It has a huge basin to go swimming in in the summer, and you can climb the falls. The trails are pretty nice to, and some of the scenes are fantastic!
Thats where I went rattlesnake hunting a couple years ago. Got a good one up on Wolf rock. Nice trails, view is limited now that the trees have grown so much.

Elle

Happy Camper!
desertrat said:
Which side did you hit?
Maryland. We just walked from the parking lot to the other side of the canal and up a bit. Then back down the canal, stopped and watched them raise a boat in the lock then down to the island to the overlook to see the falls. We didn’t wander too far since it was such a crappy day on Friday but it was great to have the place almost to ourselves.

Elle said:
Maryland. We just walked from the parking lot to the other side of the canal and up a bit. Then back down the canal, stopped and watched them raise a boat in the lock then down to the island to the overlook to see the falls. We didn’t wander too far since it was such a crappy day on Friday but it was great to have the place almost to ourselves.
You didn't get down to the river? Kind of fun scrambling around on the rocks.

Elle

Happy Camper!
desertrat said:
You didn't get down to the river? Kind of fun scrambling around on the rocks.
We went off the path a couple of times but I'm paranoid with the 8 y/o so we didn't do anything too adventurous:lol:

The signs that read "stay off the rocks, on average 8 deaths a year happen in this area" kind of set me into mom mode.

There is a guide book called Circuit Hikes of Shanendoah NP (or something like that). Good book to have.

One of the easiest and best hikes I have EVER done (and I did a LOT of hiking in Scouts and in college) is Jeremy's Run. It's in the book above. Only thing is do it in reverse rotation from the way the book says. Book sends you uphill for most of the first day and downhill for most of the second day. Something like 22 stream crossings in the 10 or so mile hike.

huntr1 said:
There is a guide book called Circuit Hikes of Shanendoah NP (or something like that). Good book to have.

One of the easiest and best hikes I have EVER done (and I did a LOT of hiking in Scouts and in college) is Jeremy's Run. It's in the book above. Only thing is do it in reverse rotation from the way the book says. Book sends you uphill for most of the first day and downhill for most of the second day. Something like 22 stream crossings in the 10 or so mile hike.
Why is that bad? When I hiked the Grand Canyon I sure wished I'd been going downhill on the way back. :lmao:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
desertrat said:
Why is that bad? When I hiked the Grand Canyon I sure wished I'd been going downhill on the way back. :lmao:
Well, they way he described it - "uphill for most of the first day and downhill for most of the second day" - it would still be uphill one day and downhill the next even going opposite the recommended route. I'm guessing the views going in one direction are better than the other which may be somewhat anti-climactic. :shrug:

B

Big Fatty

Elle said:
OK so which trail would be the best, there are only 16of them to choose from and that's just on the Maryland side.

To me it's all about scenic pictures.

The Billy Goat Trail.

B

Big Fatty

One of my favorites within driving distance is Old Rag Mountain. Pretty easy 7 mile hike with a few easy rock scrambles. My wife gets freaked out but she loves the challenge. Good views when there is no fog.
Its near Front Royal, Va at the top of Skyline Drive.

Big Fatty said:
One of my favorites within driving distance is Old Rag Mountain. Pretty easy 7 mile hike with a few easy rock scrambles. My wife gets freaked out but she loves the challenge. Good views when there is no fog.
I was thinking about that, but heard it was usually very crowded. Not true?

Elle

Happy Camper!
Big Fatty said:
We are going over that way in October and plan to stop here:yay: