OCC v. PJD...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...OK, setting aside the dynamics of the show, how much is show business, whose a bigger ass, whether or not they actually build anything or just fab up parts on motorcycles, I just saw PJD's anti venom and geico bike and instantly like them; better looking rake angles and soft tails.

It seems like everything OCC did was always too steep of rake for my tastes and to hell with the whole hard tail bit. I get that they are all show bikes but, whatever.

So, as I don't know jack about choppers, are the hyper steep OCC style ride-able like actually go for a ride and enjoy? Are PDJ's bikes any better or just more to my tastes and not really any more ride able?

Pete

Repete
...OK, setting aside the dynamics of the show, how much is show business, whose a bigger ass, whether or not they actually build anything or just fab up parts on motorcycles, I just saw PJD's anti venom and geico bike and instantly like them; better looking rake angles and soft tails.

It seems like everything OCC did was always too steep of rake for my tastes and to hell with the whole hard tail bit. I get that they are all show bikes but, whatever.

So, as I don't know jack about choppers, are the hyper steep OCC style ride-able like actually go for a ride and enjoy? Are PDJ's bikes any better or just more to my tastes and not really any more ride able?

Choppers are easy to ride............as long as you go straight and don't turn left or right.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I haven't watched either show more than 2 or 3 times but when I have I never heard them mention comfort, performance, braking etc etc.

I watched one other bike build show where competing designers built their bikes then rode them several hundred miles to a show
They were nice looking bikes, but were basically unride-able. One wouldn't stay running for more than 100 miles and the other would burn the riders legs and ass so bad he couldn't go for more than 50 miles without stopping. And these were two of the best builders in the country

NONE of them are on par with the likes of Buell. They don't do ANY engineering or real design.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I am not comfortable riding any 'GP' style bike with the lean-forward position (like the Buell and many others). I am most comfortable on anything that lets me recline slightly with my legs extended..the classic 'Harley position". Most comfy bike I ever owned so far was my FLHTC.

I like the seating position of my chopper too; its a comfortable body position for me. But since its a hard tail and since they have not figured out how to make roads without turns, it will never come close to the dresser in terms of comfort IMO.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Haven't been in Oklahoma, huh?

:lol:

Actually yes..Kansas too. We drove across the country from northwest coast to sothin Merlin in five days and spent seven of those days trying to get across Kansas.

But the bikes were in the moving van the whole trip.

RPMDAD

Agree Larry, those bikes are all show bikes and not very ride able. Had a friend who had a show quality bike, towed it down to Daytona for bike week, and after towing it down there it broke down on him while he was driving it around Daytona, and he towed it back. They are beautiful to look at and i appreciate the work that goes into them but i would never own one.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Theres a reason OEMs spend millions on design and testing. Making a pretty shape that pleases one person enough to drop wallet, while art, is easy. Making a product that tens of thousands buy, and use in real world conditions, that may not break except the the rare material defect or misuse, thats a whole different ballgame. You see this all the time in car modification circles.

"Damn factory engineers are stupid, aftermarket maker XX made +20hp by changing the intake and exhuast." What folks dont realize is the sheer weight of specifications and regulations and testing requirements that factory folks deal with. Easy to get +20hp. Not so easy when you have to meet noise standards, And emissions standards, and reliability standards. These folks think that reliability is 5 passes down the dragstrip.

No, its 150K worth of WOT throttle drops, and -30 cold starts followed by hot rodding, and +125 romps followed by shutdown with no cool down.

craberta

At the international motorcycle show

We looked at bikes you could tell by sitting on them that they were comfortable. You could ride them for hours. Then we looked at the choppers, and the only thing I could say to describe them was "worthless". They are like a pair of 600.00 high heel shoes, they look great, but you would walk alot further in some tennis shoes.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, as pieces of "HEY LOOK AT ME" rolling art, they are gorgeous. But not as a piece of daily transportation.

I haven't watched either show more than 2 or 3 times but when I have I never heard them mention comfort, performance, braking etc etc.

I watched one other bike build show where competing designers built their bikes then rode them several hundred miles to a show
They were nice looking bikes, but were basically unride-able. One wouldn't stay running for more than 100 miles and the other would burn the riders legs and ass so bad he couldn't go for more than 50 miles without stopping. And these were two of the best builders in the country

NONE of them are on par with the likes of Buell. They don't do ANY engineering or real design.

I think I saw that show. :killingme Surprised they aired it.