Offensive...

Share your pain

• #1 (with a bullet) C*wb*ys (pahtooey!)

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Virgin (Virgin Cola I find upsetting)

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Win 98

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Dan Rather/60 Minutes

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • The odd names of European soccer clubs

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Yankees

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Willy Wonka

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • KKK

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • NOW

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • NAACP

Votes: 22 68.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
huntr1 said:
Hear about the NCAA (I believe) ruling last week? No teams with anything to do with "Native Americans" in any fashion in official or unofficial symbology can participate in post-season play. That means everything from names to mascots to uniforms to cheers ANYTHING. So much for Florida State.

So why don't the Redskins adopt the potato as their mascot? People can continue to dress as injuns for the games, but the corporate name will be clean.

As Flip Wilson said. Let's rename the organization "National Association for Advancement of Colored People Right Now, And All Others Later On."

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
dems4me said:
I Anyway the point to the story was he only traveled THROUGH Indian Head, didn't even live there nor was he Indian but took offense to it and last I heard he was bringing the issue up before the commissioners or something :crazy: I say -get a life! There's soo many other more constructive and favorable things him and others can be asserting their zeal and time towards.

Did he wear a bolo tie?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Tonio said:
Last I heard there WAS a survey done with Native Americans (the Washington Native Americans for a new name???) and less then 5% thought the naming of sportsteams was in any way offensive.. it's WHITE people making the biggest claim to offensiveness! They did not find Redskins, Braves, Seminoles or any other offensive..

Me personally find the team name Yankees offensive, that and I just hate the spoiled azz prima-donnas that make up the team... and it is a VERY deregatory word in Europe..

D

dems4me

Hello6 said:
Coincidence that Dems popped up after Vrai commented about ignoring infantile ranters?

And even more funnier that you would post on a thread that contained the word "infant" :yay:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I think, if the situation comes to it, that the Washington Redskins should be renamed to the Washington Redskin Potatoes. Who could possibly find that offensive, except for the Iowa corn growers?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BadGirl said:
I think, if the situation comes to it, that the Washington Redskins should be renamed to the Washington Redskin Potatoes. Who could possibly find that offensive, except for the Iowa corn growers?
"Redskin potatoes" is a racist term. So is "Black Angus".

Anyway, you'd think Injuns would be flattered that football guys think of them as tough and brave, and want to identify that image with their team. If some NFL team wanted to call themselves the Vrais, I'd be tickled pink.

PJay

itsbob said:
Last I heard there WAS a survey done with Native Americans (the Washington Native Americans for a new name???) and less then 5% thought the naming of sportsteams was in any way offensive.. it's WHITE people making the biggest claim to offensiveness! They did not find Redskins, Braves, Seminoles or any other offensive..

Know nothing about a survey being done. But you are correct in assuming that its not us Braves (part here) that are claiming it's offensive. When I lived in the area I was a big Redskins fan. Myself, I never even thought of the name or the meaning. Like someone here mentioned, it should make Indians proud when you think about it. Never had I thought till now, and now if it changes I will miss what I should have been proud of.

Last edited:
D

dems4me

Homesick said:
Know nothing about a survey being done. But you are correct in assuming that people other then us Braves (part here) are claiming it's offensive. When I lived in the area I was a big Redskins fan. Myself, I never even thought of the name or the meaning. Like someone here mentioned, it should make Indians proud when you think about it. Never had I thought till now, and now if it changes I will miss what I should have been proud of.

maybe its the name Washington next to the word Redskins that makes it appear disparagging??? Maybe a nicer city next to the word Reskins would be ok with these folks????

:lol:

PJay

:lol:

True, didn't think of that, guess cause I don't hold grudges.....well, part of me doesn't...won't tell ya what the other half would do.... :whistle:

meangirl

Nice lady!
Larry Gude said:
...So, in the public interest, what do you find offensive? What's raining on your parade? What else do we need to purge in order to be a more perfect union?

Add your own! Now, don't be silly. We want corporate words, not names or insults that the common man flitters about with no fiscal gain. The 'word' must be attached to some entity that can be boycotted, pointed out or otherwise identified as being the perpetrator of ill gotten gain.

I find BET offensive.

PJay

tomchamp said:
Ditto! But they can use the N word...god forbid if I do!

:yay:

adding: what is safe these days? Thought "Black" was in, but now that's a :nono:

Last edited:

Mikeinsmd

Homesick said:
:yay:adding: what is safe these days? Thought "Black" was in, but now that's a :nono:
:nono: my azz.... I use "black" all the time. I REFUSE to use PC terms. They can all kiss my big black azz!! :lol:

tomchamp

Note to Larry Gude!

Your last selection on your survey!..NAACP...should be NAALCP...L as in liberal! Those are the only blacks they support!

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Homesick said:
:yay:

adding: what is safe these days? Thought "Black" was in, but now that's a :nono:
I don't understand that. I don't mind being called "white." Not at all. Or cracker or honkey. Not at all. :shrug: