Offensive...

Share your pain

• #1 (with a bullet) C*wb*ys (pahtooey!)

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Virgin (Virgin Cola I find upsetting)

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Win 98

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Dan Rather/60 Minutes

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • The odd names of European soccer clubs

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Yankees

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Willy Wonka

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • KKK

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • NOW

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • NAACP

Votes: 22 68.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Mikeinsmd said:
:nono: my azz.... I use "black" all the time. I REFUSE to use PC terms. They can all kiss my big black azz!! :lol:
That reminds me of Chris Rock's movie CB4: "I'm black y'all, and I'm black y'all, I'm bliggity, bliggity, black y'all..."

PJay

K_Jo said:
I don't understand that. I don't mind being called "white." Not at all. Or cracker or honkey. Not at all. :shrug:

I don't either. I remember going to school in Maryland, not pretty. Blacks ruled. Don't even look crossed eyed at them. I am part Indian, and Italian, I look "white" I guess, but skin is olive. When being sent to live there with grandparents they put me in Pomonkey? Hated that school. Black people were mean. Would beat you up just for being "white" Later when I was shifted around to go live with another family member in Va. They told me they wanted to put me back in the 10th grade ( I was almost done with the 11th..I asked why, they said because the schools in Md. were lower standard because of the blacks. I said no way was I going to start all over again. I quit.

A crowd of blacks gathered around me once (I'm a girl) another black girl wanted me dead I guess. Anyway you find out who your friends are quick..not a white person could be found. One thing I can say, blacks stand side by side.

PJay

K_Jo said:
I don't understand that. I don't mind being called "white." Not at all. Or cracker or honkey. Not at all. :shrug:

But then again I understand it, because they have a problem with their own skin color, we don't. If they are so "Black and proud" then I say, act like it.

D

dems4me

Homesick said:
:yay:

adding: what is safe these days? Thought "Black" was in, but now that's a :nono:

In all sinceretiy and as a Washingtonian by day -- please let me know the key word (PC term) for it this week... are we back to "people of color" ?
TIA

PJay

dems4me said:
In all sinceretiy and as a Washingtonian by day -- please let me know the key word (PC term) for it this week... are we back to "people of color" ?
TIA

African American I believe was the last most approved. Maybe not up there? Maybe only in parts of the country?

To be clear, I have no problem with people of color. There are good and bad in all. In living in Md. I saw mostly bad, but I did not carry that with me.

D

dems4me

Homesick said:
African American I believe was the last most approved. Maybe not up there? Maybe only in parts of the country?

To be clear, I have no problem with people of color. There are good and bad in all. In living in Md. I saw mostly bad, but I did not carry that with me.

my best friend is african american and I have lots of african american friends... and they always laugh at me as I stammer and stutter around trying to describe someone and then it comes to race and I say ... "ughhh, not white, ummm, kind of brown skinned... ummm... a little darker [while patting my arm]" almost like we are playing charades so that THEY tell me what the term is... :crazy: :lol: They get a kick out of it but I know the second I say - "you know who I'm talking about -- the black chick that...." they'll jump on me as racist or something. :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
dems4me said:
They get a kick out of it but I know the second I say - "you know who I'm talking about -- the black chick that...." they'll jump on me as racist or something. :ohwell:
Those don't sound like friends. Why bring up race at all? If you were talking about a caucasion friend, would you think to mention it?

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
Those don't sound like friends. Why bring up race at all? If you were talking about a caucasion friend, would you think to mention it?

No..no no... its when I have to describe someone... like this "Hey Linda... remember so and so..." "who?" "you know the girl I introduced you to last year?" "no... what does she look like?" -- it kind of narrows things down a bit :shrug:
Overally, they are friends and they know me well enough to get a chuckle when I explain it like this... its only because I'm worried about stepping on toes or hurting feelings; but in general I just don't want to take a chance of appearing racist or anything - that's always been the safe way to go about it so ya' don't use the wrong term... we do laugh at things... a few thanksgivings ago she tried to get me to eat collard greens, pigsfeet and hawgjawls or whatever.. and said something about all the bacteria being off the intenstines and cleaned or something because it's been soaking in boiling water... I passed on the last two dishs but she thought it was funny nonetheless... we mostly laugh at our differences but some of the other friends I have arn't soo tight on skin and sometimes people tend to already be hypersuggestable to anything we say or call them just because we are white... does that make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Hey Linda, remember that one girl?"
"Which one?"
"The one I introduced you to last week - the black chick?"

You're merely describing a distinguishing feature, like "you know, the redhead". Although I must admit, I enjoy leaving out race when describing someone in that manner because it amuses me to watch people cast about for some way to say "black" other than just saying "black".

My blacks friends will say "Is she the black chick?" or "Is she the white chick?" without hesitation. :shrug:

D

dems4me

vraiblonde said:
"Hey Linda, remember that one girl?"
"Which one?"
"The one I introduced you to last week - the black chick?"

You're merely describing a distinguishing feature, like "you know, the redhead". Although I must admit, I enjoy leaving out race when describing someone in that manner because it amuses me to watch people cast about for some way to say "black" other than just saying "black".

My blacks friends will say "Is she the black chick?" or "Is she the white chick?" without hesitation. :shrug:

thats just it... its up to her to say the word "black", "african american", "person of color" ... that way I hear the latest PC term from her that she finds least offensive. :yay: Its never the first description on describing someone its only after I've said somethinglike "you know the girl about 5 foot, brown hair and brown eyes I introduced you tooo?" and then I have to do the skin thingy and then she fills in the blank and I know what word to use that she won't find offensive... does this make sense? :frown:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Our...

dems4me said:
my best friend is african american ...

...next door neighbor is 'african american' and she's got bluer eyes than me and blonder hair than any of the kids and whiter skin than Nebraska bred Vrai.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
dems4me said:
does this make sense?
No. Are you offended if someone refers to you as "white"? Why is it up to your friend to tell you what color she is? If she decides she wants to be called a tree, will you then describe her as "You know, the tree"?

I find African American offensive for two reasons:
  1. Like Larry said, our neighbor is a true African American, i.e born in Africa and currently an American citizen. To use that term for some random American who has never set foot in Africa is silly.
  2. It separates blacks from the rest of us. An "African" American, as opposed to a REAL American like whitey me.
Anyway, I don't get involved in PC silliness. If someone got mad at me because I referred to them as black instead of African American or whatever touchy term they've decided on, I'd ignore them.

Mikeinsmd

vraiblonde said:
No. Are you offended if someone refers to you as "white"? Why is it up to your friend to tell you what color she is? If she decides she wants to be called a tree, will you then describe her as "You know, the tree"? I find African American offensive for two reasons:
  1. Like Larry said, our neighbor is a true African American, i.e born in Africa and currently an American citizen. To use that term for some random American who has never set foot in Africa is silly.
  2. It separates blacks from the rest of us. An "African" American, as opposed to a REAL American like whitey me.
Anyway, I don't get involved in PC silliness. If someone got mad at me because I referred to them as black instead of African American or whatever touchy term they've decided on, I'd ignore them.
:yeahthat:
If you refer to my friends Ziggy & Peck (both Americans from Jamaica and blacker than a moonless night) as african american you could be in a lotta trouble. :lol: Lose the PC terms for crying out loud!! :duh:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Chinook - Helicopter
Apache - Helicopter
Tomahawk - Cruise Missile
Cherokee - Popular SUV

There are probably many others.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Homesick said:
I don't either. I remember going to school in Maryland, not pretty. Blacks ruled. Don't even look crossed eyed at them. I am part Indian, and Italian, I look "white" I guess, but skin is olive. When being sent to live there with grandparents they put me in Pomonkey? Hated that school. Black people were mean. Would beat you up just for being "white" Later when I was shifted around to go live with another family member in Va. They told me they wanted to put me back in the 10th grade ( I was almost done with the 11th..I asked why, they said because the schools in Md. were lower standard because of the blacks. I said no way was I going to start all over again. I quit.

A crowd of blacks gathered around me once (I'm a girl) another black girl wanted me dead I guess. Anyway you find out who your friends are quick..not a white person could be found. One thing I can say, blacks stand side by side.
Homesick said:
But then again I understand it, because they have a problem with their own skin color, we don't. If they are so "Black and proud" then I say, act like it.
Whoa, whoa, WHOA! I was just being silly. Please don't attach your hatred to my post. I've lived in southern Maryland my entire life and have not once had a problem with a black person, in school or anywhere else, wanting to beat me up. I have no idea if "they" have a problem with their skin color, nor do I agree the schools are "lower standard because of the blacks." You sound like maybe you deserved to get beat up. :shrug:

PJay

K_Jo said:
Whoa, whoa, WHOA! I was just being silly. Please don't attach your hatred to my post. I've lived in southern Maryland my entire life and have not once had a problem with a black person, in school or anywhere else, wanting to beat me up. I have no idea if "they" have a problem with their skin color, nor do I agree the schools are "lower standard because of the blacks." You sound like maybe you deserved to get beat up. :shrug:

Hatred? Where did I say I hate? You missed this:

Kudos for you in never having a problem. I shared my experience. Just because you never experienced what I did does not mean I did not experience it. Also, it does not matter if you "agree" that the standards were lowered so that "Blacks' could learn, take that up with the state of Virginia, not me. I shared what was passed unto me. Believe it or not.

As far as "deserving to get beat up", well that's a matter of opinion. If you think one deserves to be beat up after sitting through classes with "black" people and a "black" teacher day after day being taught that "I" was to blame for them being held in slavery, then I in return standing up and reminding them that I had nothing to do with it, that they themselves had never known slavery and I was tired of listening to them whine and complain. Reminding them too that they have every chance in this country today to be or do whatever they wanted. The classes were always unruley. Most days were spent with heads on desk. "White" teachers (which were only a few) were afraid to punish the "black" children for fear of being accused of racism.

Now I ask you, who hated who?

Last edited:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Offensive... 08-09-2005 09:46 AM Silly?

I'm confused by this. What do it mean? :confused: That post was really, really long. I didn't want to read it. :bawl:

SamSpade

I'm still waiting to hear someone like the black chick on "Las Vegas" to say "African American? Bloody hell, I'm a *BRIT* you stupid git!".

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
Homesick said:
One thing I can say, blacks stand side by side.

Until the police show up, then they tell on each other.
Funny thing is they will refer to a white guy as white boy, then when a white person says the word Boy ! They get their azz all up on their back.
Personally I find amusement in playing the racial card first.

Who you callin white boy MO FO, It's cause I'm white ain't it, why you gotta keep the white man down and I would appreciate it if you call me Caucasian , why's it got to be about the color of my skin ? :lmao:

I get one of two reactions, One they bust up laughing or Two they say I'm a crazy whiteboy and walk off.