Oil Change

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I get mine changed every 3000 miles if it needs it or not.

Mr. Tire

The point is if it DOESN'T need it, how much more used oil are you putting into the environment?

Granted the people that refine and sell oil, and the places that charge you to change it want you to change it as often as they can get you to do it...

When I was first learning to drive oil change intervals were at around 7,500 to 10,000 miles.. Engine manufacturing has improved significanlty since then, as well as the oil, so why is the interval down to 3000 miles?? Easy.. $$$$$...

Imagine how much money the oil companies make every year because EVERY car on the road has doubled their lubricating oil usage..

(and this has no bearing on gas companies, different kind of oil, and USUALLY entirley different companies)

GotMilk

The point is if it DOESN'T need it, how much more used oil are you putting into the environment?

Granted the people that refine and sell oil, and the places that charge you to change it want you to change it as often as they can get you to do it...

When I was first learning to drive oil change intervals were at around 7,500 to 10,000 miles.. Engine manufacturing has improved significanlty since then, as well as the oil, so why is the interval down to 3000 miles?? Easy.. $$$$$...

Imagine how much money the oil companies make every year because EVERY car on the road has doubled their lubricating oil usage..

(and this has no bearing on gas companies, different kind of oil, and USUALLY entirley different companies)

I did mine every 4k or 5k, you make a good point though

I always thought it was because of tighter tolerances, higher revs and operating temps.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I always thought it was because of tighter tolerances, higher revs and operating temps.

Higher tolerances have made engines that can't be "Burnt in" with oil in them..

Higher tolerances would mean less wear, less friction between parts, and better machining reducing friction..

My trucks and cars don't rev any higher than my '76 Nova.. They idle at around 600 - 750.. and when at speed my RPM's are at about 1800 - 2000.. when i drive normally the trasnmission shifts at about 3,000 - 3500.. Nothing 'HOT' there..

Operating temps have increased?? I'm not aware of that..

Maybe if you are driving a Ferrari, or a Lamborghini.. or one the the 600cc Honda's that redline at 10 - 14,000 RPM.. but what "normal" people drive? I don't think so..

Higher tolerances have made engines that can't be "Burnt in" with oil in them..

Higher tolerances would mean less wear, less friction between parts, and better machining reducing friction..

My trucks and cars don't rev any higher than my '76 Nova.. They idle at around 600 - 750.. and when at speed my RPM's are at about 1800 - 2000.. when i drive normally the trasnmission shifts at about 3,000 - 3500.. Nothing 'HOT' there..

Operating temps have increased?? I'm not aware of that..

Maybe if you are driving a Ferrari, or a Lamborghini.. or one the the 600cc Honda's that redline at 10 - 14,000 RPM.. but what "normal" people drive? I don't think so..
I'm thinking more of the little 4 cylinders that have to rev higher to get the power. Not necessarily at cruising speed, but accelerating. As far as closer tolerances, that also means less oil will be between the suraces. Better machining and better materials would lead to less friction, though.
I'm not sure where I got the higher temps. Probably a commercial.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
lets look at it this way..

How many cars on the road in the US?? say 243 MILLLION..

12,000 miles a year average.. that's 2 oil changes per car (6000 miles interval).. per year. 4 quarts per change..
1,944,000,000 quarts of Oil a year.. (that have to be disposed of) almost 500 MILLION GALLONS of used oil a year..

Say .40 profit per quart..

$777,600,000 in profit..

at 10k miles 1.2 changes per year.

1,166,400,000 quarts of oil that have to be disposed of EVERY year!

$466,560,000 profit (.40 per quart)
going from 6000 mile Oil change interval to 10k

311 Million in profit.. lost...

Go the other way..

Go from 6,000 miles to 3,000 ile interval..

3,888,000,000 quarts of oil that we must now dispose of.. Almost One BILLION GALLONS of used oil a year..

$1,555,000,000 in profit..

If they can convince you and everyone else to change their oil a 100 miles sooner, that would add up to even MILLIONS more in profit EVERY year.. and millions more quarts of oil that need to be disposed of..

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What if we all switched to Synthetic and moved our interval to 50,000 miles??

243 million cars..

An oil change every 4 years.. (give or take at 12,000 miles a year)

and we cut oil usage to 243,000,000 quarts a year.. less than a tenth of what we are using now.. less than a 10th of what we have to dispose of now..

Seems beneficial in a lot more ways than one..

Well, except to the oil companies that will lose 90% of their profits..

Last edited:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

243 million cars..

and we cut oil usage to 243,000,000 quarts a year.. less than a tenth of what we are using now.. less than a 10th of what we have to dispose of now..

Speaking of which, can you give my truck an oil change this weekend, as well as put on new brake pads and check the rotors? Oh....and rotate the tires, too?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Speaking of which, can you give my truck an oil change this weekend, as well as put on new brake pads and check the rotors? Oh....and rotate the tires, too?

I've got my Honey do list too..

But I can't type it in here!!

besides you should be good for another 4000 miles or so before your next oil change.

R

Rienell

243 million cars..

Well, except to the oil companies that will lose 90% of their profits..
wow.. if only that would come true. We can wish..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
wow.. if only that would come true. We can wish..

Why can't it?? Stop selling dino oil, mass produce synthetic (prices will come down) and stop telling people to change their oil every 3,000 miles.

I'm surprised the enviroNazis like Gore haven't thought about this, and the impact it would have on the environment..

Maybe I should make a movie about it.. better yet have someone else make the movie, I'll just do a cameo.. and get a Nobel Prize for my trouble!!

C

czygvtwkr

What happens to the motor oil in the recycle vat? I always thought it got turned into more motor oil. Just bought a 5 quart of standard valvoline but I was contemplating buying some synthetic to try. I drive all of 15k miles a year so its not that big of a deal.

I know a guy that had a 1976 Chrysler Cordova that never changed his oil and it was still running in 1995, everything was falling off the car but the engine still ran, he just added some oil every once and a while.

With my chevy I change my oil every 3k cause its black by then but for some reason my Toyota seems to go twice that before the oil turns black.

How often you change your oil depends a lot of the type of driving that you do. The stop and go driving of southern maryland is a lot harder on your engine and oil than driving a constand 70 mph for 100 miles on the interstate. Towing also means you need to change your oil more often.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What happens to the motor oil in the recycle vat? I always thought it got turned into more motor oil. Just bought a 5 quart of standard valvoline but I was contemplating buying some synthetic to try. I drive all of 15k miles a year so its not that big of a deal.
I think the better question would be, what happens to the MILLIONs of quarts of oil that don't end up in the recycle vat?

garyt27

INAFJ
Change Intervals

I bet if they changed the recommended ineRtvals to say 7500 miles, then cost of oil change would be $65. not $25. or $30. YA THINK? :coffee:

garyt27

INAFJ
Oil?

New to MD. Where in the world does one get an oil change around here (Prince Frederick)? There's no Jiffy Lube, or Time-It Lube around these parts. Couldn't find squat in the local phone book.
Not doing it myself either.

You mean you have to put some other stuff in the tank besides gas? :doh:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I bet if they changed the recommended ineRtvals to say 7500 miles, then cost of oil change would be $65. not $25. or $30. YA THINK? :coffee:

I doubt it, there would be a glut of lubricating grade oil.. and the oilmen would have a hard time selling it at any price. A lot of wells would probably be capped, and refineries closed, but i don't think the price would go up, but it would go down.