Ok, writer's strike has hit home

SamSpade

I have been going back and seeing if I can catch reruns of shows I really never got around to watching, at least not all of it.

One of them is Farscape, a show I never saw but a few episodes of - on a similar vein - Andromeda, but it is slowly getting less interesting, and from what I recall - because I used to religiously follow the newsgroups where - amazingly - the writers and creators POSTED - that I am at the point where the original writer left the show - and the style and direction of the show totally changed.

I considered watching X Files from beginning to end, but there are just too many shows where I just got too damned bored to finish a whole hour of it.

Kinnakeet

1697643526876.png

PeoplesElbow

Although only two seasons I enjoyed Jericho.

Other series I liked that were less known Rome, Hung, Mixology, Primevil, Frontier, Black Sails.

PeoplesElbow

I have been going back and seeing if I can catch reruns of shows I really never got around to watching, at least not all of it.

One of them is Farscape, a show I never saw but a few episodes of - on a similar vein - Andromeda, but it is slowly getting less interesting, and from what I recall - because I used to religiously follow the newsgroups where - amazingly - the writers and creators POSTED - that I am at the point where the original writer left the show - and the style and direction of the show totally changed.

I considered watching X Files from beginning to end, but there are just too many shows where I just got too damned bored to finish a whole hour of it.
Andromeda was really good for 4 seasons, they cut the budget and had to change Trans color and it just got weird.

SamSpade

The writers changed after the 3rd season
Yup. Robert Wolfe, the show's writer and creator, used to post on rec.arts.sf.tv along with a handful of other tv writers, years ago.

Quite a lot of writers posted on newgroups back then. Straczynski did on the moderated B5 newsgroup but he was QUITE adamant about ideas and suggestions, as there were legal ramifications - hence, moderated. Occasionally, there were very subtle nods to posters on the actual show. (An obvious one is on newsgroups, people who don't post are called "lurkers" - the nickname given on the show to the denizens of the darker parts of the station.

There was once a much beloved poster who went under the name of Plain And Simple Cronan (Thompson) who died of leukemia at a young age - being black, he used to joke about how black characters got killed early in sci-fi shows.

Wolfe therefore had a character named Thompson get killed in the opening scenes of Andromeda's pilot, as an homage to him.

SamSpade

There are times I miss the old newsgroups.

Havne't logged onto a news server since 2009 or 2010.
Way before that, for me.

Back then, folks like us had an ISP - an Internet Service Provider, just for Web, mail - and Usenet, which they provided a free server. Most Usenet servers now come at a cost, and last time I was on, it was so overrun with ads, some newsgroups I frequented had NOTHING but junk.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Way before that, for me.

Back then, folks like us had an ISP - an Internet Service Provider, just for Web, mail - and Usenet, which they provided a free server. Most Usenet servers now come at a cost, and last time I was on, it was so overrun with ads, some newsgroups I frequented had NOTHING but junk.
for me it was about 1994 -2009.

My first local ISP was Eaglenet in LP.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
for me it was about 1994 -2009.

My first local ISP was Eaglenet in LP.
SOMDOnline for me.

I worked in the building where EagleNet was based. What a hodge-podge of wires and crap in the modem room, surprised it ever worked properly. And the guy running it (boss's son) was not computer literate.