Olympic Gymnasts

smts

My son commented on the fact that most of the female Olympic Gymnasts are quite short. The sparked at conversation between us as to why it may be. My conclusion was that maybe they are so hard on the joints from vaulting, landing, etc, that they damage their growth plates. (No I have not googled it - just want to know what you all think)

GO USA :patriot:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
My son commented on the fact that most of the female Olympic Gymnasts are quite short. The sparked at conversation between us as to why it may be. My conclusion was that maybe they are so hard on the joints from vaulting, landing, etc, that they damage their growth plates. (No I have not googled it - just want to know what you all think)

I'm sitting here watching and thinking they must get headaches too, looking at their hair makes my head hurt, they pull it back so tight.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

They're 14 :shrug:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
It is physics, taller people are not as good and they don't make it this far.

That is so true, as a kid I did gymnastics. My friend and I always said we'd go to the Olympics. In my early teens I hit a growth spurt and everything changed. The moves got more difficult and I gave it up.

PrepH4U

I'm sitting here watching and thinking they must get headaches too, looking at their hair makes my head hurt, they pull it back so tight.

:yeahthat: I wondered if all the glitter that is on their hair fell into their eyes. The Russians either had been crying or they had glitter irritation.

:patriot:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Dustin and I were just saying the same thing. :lol:
:yeahthat: I wondered if all the glitter that is on their hair fell into their eyes. The Russians either had been crying or they had glitter irritation.

:patriot:
I think Mustafina looks like she's 2 seconds away from bursting into tears at any given time. :lol:

McKayla Maroney's vault was unreal. I'd be interested to find out what the deductions were because even in slow-mo it looks perfect.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Dustin and I were just saying the same thing. :lol:

I think Mustafina looks like she's 2 seconds away from bursting into tears at any given time. :lol:

McKayla Maroney's vault was unreal. I'd be interested to find out what the deductions were because even in slow-mo it looks perfect.

Even though this is the year 2012 and I already know the results, I have to wonder where the deduction was.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Congrats young Ladies. You have made MANY Americans very proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It seemed to me the US team had a camera whore on the team. Seemed every shot, of every girl, she some how made sure she was in the shot...

Won't say who, just to see if anyone else noticed...

PsyOps

Pixelated
It is physics, taller people are not as good and they don't make it this far.

I heard some talk on the radio this morning about this that these KIDS are put through a very strict regimen of training from extremely young ages (like 3 and 4). They were speculating that because of the kind of training they do and diets they eat it causes their growth to be stunted. I have no idea how true it is, but their body sizes seem to be consistent with that theory.

Once they get near their 20s, or a little older, and their bodies start filling in, their careers are over.