OTA antennas

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
@PeoplesElbow
It's up. Still a lot of testing to do, but very encouraging so far. I used channel 9.4 for an initial test, and did not hookup the in-line/built-in amp. Got a very good signal, 53%. Turned on the power amp, went up to 65% (as shown by the internal power meter in the tv).

Wow. Did a re-scan while still pointed at 9 (CBS/USA9 out of DC). Got over 45 channels/sub-channels, 4, 5, 7, 9, 14, 16, 20, 21, 25, 26, 32, 44, 50, 66, 68. For this time of day, that's very impressive, considering channels like 16 and 21 are on the Eastern Shore, a full 90* east of the current point. 66.4 and 32.5 is Laff-TV.

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Pointed at Salisbury on the Eastern Shore I get a 90% signal strength on Ch 16.1, WBOC/CBS. Same on 21.2, Fox21.
A re-scan pointed east gets me 25 channels/sub-channels, 16, 21, 22, 28, 31, 32, 42, 47, 54.

I've had most of these channels at some point in the past, but spotty, lots of dropouts. To get all of these in the middle of the day with good signal strength is just terrific.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....

Smaller than the ChannelMaster I was going to put up, so no guy wires needed. But it is heavier/bigger than the Yagi I had, the PVC mast bends a bit in the wind. Going to replace the schedule 40 pipe with schedule 80, and it should be fine.

While I was up there, saw that the chimneys needed attention. Mixed up some mortar repair and patched, sprayed some FlexSeal.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I keep wondering IF I can ever try to get TV over the air - you know, SOME concoction of antenna or boosters or something that can actually pick up - well - anything.

Has anyone ever had any luck getting TV from an antenna? I would prefer not to mount outdoors, but I now have a completely free and clear attic where I could mount just about anything. INDOORS.
So Sam.... if you are at all interested, I'd be happy to bring my Yagi and stuff to you and see if it would work. I won't be using it anymore, so it's yours if it works and you want it.

SamSpade

So Sam.... if you are at all interested, I'd be happy to bring my Yagi and stuff to you and see if it would work. I won't be using it anymore, so it's yours if it works and you want it.

(shrug) I know my wife is against antennas on the house itself, which is why I keep HOPING it's possible to do it some other way. When I've discussed sticking it just outside the bedroom window - yeah, no luck there either.

My best option I think with OTA is when we retire - or they make reception a LOT easier.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
(shrug) I know my wife is against antennas on the house itself, which is why I keep HOPING it's possible to do it some other way. When I've discussed sticking it just outside the bedroom window - yeah, no luck there either.

My best option I think with OTA is when we retire - or they make reception a LOT easier.
Ok. If you change your mind and want to try it in the attic, let me know.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I was just going to ask if you knew anyone that wanted one. Channel Master CM-3020.
Looking to sell my ChannelMaster antenna. Thought I'd ask here before putting it up on the Classifieds. Mostly assembled, never installed. Paid about $110, sell $50.

PeoplesElbow

Looking to sell my ChannelMaster antenna. Thought I'd ask here before putting it up on the Classifieds. Mostly assembled, never installed. Paid about $110, sell $50.
Must be happy with the Televes :yahoo:

I think there is a house between gate 2 and 3 with this channel master on it, but it doesnt look like its pointed to Salisbury or DC to me. Everytime I see someone with an antenna I try to figure where its pointed and wonder how good their reception is.

There is a house over here with a Clearstream 4 pointed toward DC, that isnt a great antenna, always wonder if they even get anything.

PeoplesElbow

Eh, it's 'just ok'...
I pointed just east of DC last night and was only able to find 55 channels and another 25 pointed east. :yikes: Still can't find Baltimore yet....
From what I could tell most of the transmitters were either west of DC or in North West DC.

There is a station in Cambridge, did you get that while pointed at Salisbury? Looks like its a bit north to pickup while pointed at Salisbury to me.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
16 is 16.1 and 16.3, WBOC. I watch 16.1 all the time, it's my goto CBS local news. Currently a 90% signal strength.
31.3 55% signal
42.1 56% signal, but I never watch any of the Telemundo stations... :lol:

There's also an ABC on 47.1-47.4 with a CW, ION and MeTV that I watch alot.

mitzi

Looking for opinions on this. After 6 days of no internet service and no streaming, I'm done with it all. :mad: It took all this time for ABB to come out. I have a friend who ordered this indoor antenna and she's picking up 20 stations. It says it has a 50-60 mile range. She's in Leonardtown, as I am. I'd like opinions from those who are much more familiar with antennas than I am (please don't get too technical on me)
TIA

Amazon product

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Looking for opinions on this. After 6 days of no internet service and no streaming, I'm done with it all. :mad: It took all this time for ABB to come out. I have a friend who ordered this indoor antenna and she's picking up 20 stations. It says it has a 50-60 mile range. She's in Leonardtown, as I am. I'd like opinions from those who are much more familiar with antennas than I am (please don't get too technical on me)
TIA

Amazon product

As a rule, those indoor antennas usually only work well if you're close to the stations. From us, the only 'close' stations are from the Eastern Shore, which is ok. I'd be interested in what stations your friend is getting. Don't forget, when you get 20 OTA stations, only a small handfull are your typical CBS, ABC, PBS, etc... the rest are just fill channels.