Out-doorsy handheld GPS?

DeeCee

A horse of course!
I'm trying to choose an outdoor, hunting type of handheld GPS that is weatherproof and does not show roads. It will be used for hiking, biking and horseback riding trails and I want to be directed "as the crow files"....sort of.

I want one that leaves bread crumbs too since I'm directionally challenged. Is there such a beast that i don't have to offer an arm and half my leg to purchase?

:patriot: Thanks!

I'm trying to choose an outdoor, hunting type of handheld GPS that is weatherproof and does not show roads. It will be used for hiking, biking and horseback riding trails and I want to be directed "as the crow files"....sort of.

I want one that leaves bread crumbs too since I'm directionally challenged. Is there such a beast that i don't have to offer an arm and half my leg to purchase?

Garmin ETrex. Start at $99.99 and then go up depending on what additional features you want. Basic one will do what you want it to.

tonyb

re: handheld gps

I recently acquired a Garmin ETrex (yellow) Handheld GPS. After updating the software, "READING THE MANUAL" and using the unit, I have found it to be quite the little useful gps device. Inexpensive, great product, interfaces with Google earth and additional mapsharing programs very easily.
I admit, I got lost in the woods, just to see if i could get out, well, It worked.

Its the best bang for your buck, budget and usefullness without breaking the checkbook.

The more you use them, the better you get at understanding it as a navigational tool.

I love mine, and would recommend it. With the installed software though, it does run a little slow for refresh update rates. After the software upgrades from the garmin site the refresh rates are 1 time per second,(so the manual says). You as well gain a few additional functions in menu options.

Check it out in forums on backpacker.com

Good luck,

Tony

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Land nav skills RAWK!!

Attachments

• lensatictrit1.jpg
    lensatictrit1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 76
  • image52.gif
    image52.gif
    36.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Haiti_Port_de_Paix_Topo_1_50000_10_09_08c_High_Res.jpg
    Haiti_Port_de_Paix_Topo_1_50000_10_09_08c_High_Res.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 84

Ponytail

This is the one that I have. No software to upload, no learning/reading. Doesn't get any easier. Saves up to 3 locations. Set the first as your "home", the second and 3rd are up to you. Will get you back to any of the 3 saved locations from wherever you are. Can find your car in a parking lot, or the cabin/tent if you go for a hike.

Bushnell BackTrack Personal Location Finder (Gray/ Orange) : Bushnell GPS Navigation | RadioShack.com