Over Crabbed, Over Fished and Over Hunted

Kinnakeet

The problem is not " non english speakers keeping a few extra fish"

The problem is factory chicken farms fertilizer waste running off into the bay and creating algae blooms that cloud the water and kill everything else.

As well as runoff from treating lawns, golf courses and farms.

When white people first arrived in the bay it was so clear you could see the bottom and the oysters filtered the entire bay daily. We have thrown off that balance.

DC and Alexandria are doing some good things in terms of catching storm water and waste water and treating it before it hits the bay but big Agriculture has bought up all the politicians to keep them from doing anything about the chicken farms and other factory farms that just dump their waste water and fertilizers.
I agree with some of this statement especially the part when Whitey first got here.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

The lack of menhaden is so bad, that for years now Buzz's Marina doesn't sell them anymore, either by the whole, or ground up for chumming. They were the place to go if one wanted/needed a bunch of menhaden for bait. Though not sure if that is the actual reason. Could be Buzz's got tired of dealing with them, but maybe someone here knows the real reason? Maybe @TPD knows as he lives in Ridge? I don't even know where to get a good quantity of fresh menhaden for bait around these parts anymore.

But ..... since the new restrictions for rockfish have come about, most likely don't need menhaden anymore until the rockfish population recovers. Seeing as targeting of striped bass has been off-limits in the Chesapeake Bay since April 1. In an effort to protect the striped bass fishery on the East Coast.

Striped bass season in the main stem of the Chesapeake Bay will be open May 16; the remainder of Bay waters, including its tidal tributaries will open June 1 through July 15. All areas of the Bay will be closed to any targeting of striped bass from July 16 through July 31, and will reopen August 1 through December 10. Anglers may keep one striped bass per person, per day, with a minimum length of 19 inches and a maximum length of 24 inches. Though the smaller can be tastier, who's gonna wanna spend time and boat money to fish for only one small rockfish per day?

Omega Protein is the problem here. Without a large enough feed stock, I think, even if DNR goes back to a total ban on catching rockfish as they did in the 1980's, the rockfish population will not recover.

Bare-ya-cuda

A

and you sound like an idiot.
You have no room to talk
You haver no proof and assume they don't have licenses or follow fishing guidances but are sure that that is the cause.
You have no proof they do have licenses or are following regulations. I however have a relative that works for DNR.
Sounds about right, uninformed but sure you know the answer.
I am pretty informed. You however make it up as you go.
You do know that fishing regulalions are printed in English and Spanish right?
Just because it’s printed in their language doesn’t mean they read it or abide by it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

The lack of menhaden is so bad, that for years now Buzz's Marina doesn't sell them anymore, either by the whole, or ground up for chumming. They were the place to go if one wanted/needed a bunch of menhaden for bait. Though not sure if that is the actual reason. Could be Buzz's got tired of dealing with them, but maybe someone here knows the real reason? Maybe @TPD knows as he lives in Ridge? I don't even know where to get a good quantity of fresh menhaden for bait around these parts anymore.

But ..... since the new restrictions for rockfish have come about, most likely don't need menhaden anymore until the rockfish population recovers. Seeing as targeting of striped bass has been off-limits in the Chesapeake Bay since April 1. In an effort to protect the striped bass fishery on the East Coast.

Striped bass season in the main stem of the Chesapeake Bay will be open May 16; the remainder of Bay waters, including its tidal tributaries will open June 1 through July 15. All areas of the Bay will be closed to any targeting of striped bass from July 16 through July 31, and will reopen August 1 through December 10. Anglers may keep one striped bass per person, per day, with a minimum length of 19 inches and a maximum length of 24 inches. Though the smaller can be tastier, who's gonna wanna spend time and boat money to fish for only one small rockfish per day?

Omega Protein is the problem here. Without a large enough feed stock, I think, even if DNR goes back to a total ban on catching rockfish as they did in the 1980's, the rockfish population will not recover.

The lack of menhaden is so bad,
According to the ASMFC which manages the Atlantic menhaden population, menhaden are neither overfished nor experiencing overfishing.
https://www.chesapeakebay.net/issues/whats-at-risk/menhaden

LightRoasted

If I may ...

While they may, overall, not being over fished, they sure are decimating the stock that try to enter the Chesapeake. Even with the 2016 numbers in the article, Virginia's menhaden landings were 323,146,229 pounds. Averaging a weight of about a pound at adulthood, that at a minimum, is a taking of over 323,146,229 individual menhaden. Smaller weighted menhaden would increase those individual numbers.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
waste of money for 15 minutes of fishing for 1 fish if you ask me.
I don't think the fish I catch with these will ever come remotely close to offsetting expenses... :cool:

IMG_2067.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG