Pallets for Projects

Clem72

I think I didn't realize that FREE pallets were going to be the worst kind of stuff available. Hitherto I'd seen tons of DIY projects building all kinds of great stuff, from pallets. Just Google it - some of the stuff looks great - it just hinges on not getting splintered, staple-filled, boogered and rotted pieces of crap.

Years ago, I had a similar plan for a cable spool used in construction, because I'd seen a DIY plan for a table. Those spools are HUGE. Any table I would have made would have filled the room.
I think if you're going to use old pallets step one is obtain a planer and a jointer.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Well, there are pallets, and then there are pallets. I would wager whatever is being shipped and its total weight determines what type of pallet is used and the wood in which it is made. The most popular types of wood used in the construction of wooden pallets are oak and pine. The heavier the pallet the better the wood. There is also the way it is designed and made to take into account as well. So, a pallet used for shipping a gross of paper towels would be very light and most likely made of pine, whereas a pallet used for shipping a gross of bagged cement would most likely be made of oak, and be heavy and sturdy.

Here is a fella that explains it well:

https://www.1001pallets.com/what-kind-wood-are-pallet-made-of/

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My father worked at Army Material Command in receiving back in the late 50s and early 60s. He always had a stack of mahogany in the basement from dismantled pallets. It was gorgeous wood. They even planed the damned stuff before making the pallets. My older brother used a lot of it in woodshop when he was in Junior High.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My father worked at Army Material Command in receiving back in the late 50s and early 60s. He always had a stack of mahogany in the basement from dismantled pallets. It was gorgeous wood. They even planed the damned stuff before making the pallets. My older brother used a lot of it in woodshop when he was in Junior High.
The Navy used to ship ejection seats in big mahogany boxes, like 7'x4'x4'. Mahogany plywood was a prized possession. My dad got one of them, and we made a bunch of things out of it.