Parents: Helmets!!!! FYI

duchess1

Why do some parents think that we wear helmets for looks?! Your child wears a helmet because they WILL fall . . . eventually! Riding is a rugged sport. If you don't want to fall off a horse, don't ride one. I guess some ppl don't expect it to happen.

Sorry, I had to vent.

Spicober

DOesnt make it right, but alot of parents grew up in the age where children didnt wear helmets.I didnt as a child. We were just uneducated about the benefits of wearing helmets and no one around us wore them either. You are doing the right thing by venting, someone might read this and realize--duh I should do it. :doh:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I was wondering the other day why don't horsey people wear motorcycle type helmets? How many of you have had the little sissy horsey helmets fall off on the way to the ground?

Serious question here. It's a lot further to the ground from horseback than from dirt bike.

Mojo

I was wondering the other day why don't horsey people wear motorcycle type helmets? How many of you have had the little sissy horsey helmets fall off on the way to the ground?

Serious question here. It's a lot further to the ground from horseback than from dirt bike.

True, but 1 HP isn't quite as fast.

CountryLady

luvmyponies

IF you helment is falling off, you aren't wearing it correctly!!!:doh:

Motorcycle helmets aren't really made for falling off your bike (well I guess they would probably actually help then). They are made for keeping the head and teeth all together so the body can be identified!:smack:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
IF you helment is falling off, you aren't wearing it correctly!!!:doh: Well, the ones they made me wear did.

Motorcycle helmets aren't really made for falling off your bike (well I guess they would probably actually help then). The heck they're not! :

:buddies:

IntegritysDream

They make strong helmets for the impact of horse falls esp. for jockeys... there helmets are one of the safest you can buy, but not safe enough for motorcycles. Your helmet should protect you from the impact IF it fits you correctly, should be snug, almost tight, but shouldnt give you a headache. If it falls of, its too big. Ive seen troxels crack very easliy, i have a charles owens and LOVE it, from research ive found they are super safe. Most riding barns only allow those only 18 to ride without a helmet, and even then, thats ONLY if you were doing flat work... usually you are forced under insurence/liability laws no matter how old you are, to ride with a helmet at all times... ESP when jumping!

CountryLady

luvmyponies
DOesnt make it right, but alot of parents grew up in the age where children didnt wear helmets.I didnt as a child. We were just uneducated about the benefits of wearing helmets and no one around us wore them either. You are doing the right thing by venting, someone might read this and realize--duh I should do it. :doh:

I grew up in a time when only english jumpers wore helmets. I rode western and never wore one. But I bought my kids helments, and when I bought theirs I pick up one for me. I sometimes forget it out of habit, but I am trying to remember more and more. So my new habit is I almost always wear it.

BUTT! I can tell you out of all the years of riding and being thrown off more times that I can begin to count,.....I HAVE NEVER....(knock on wood) fallen and hit my head. I always seem to land on my ARSH! :lmao:

CountryLady

luvmyponies

Maybe you need to go to helmet wearing 101 class!!:lmao: JK

If you are used to wearing motorcycle helments, the concept it the same for horseback riding helmets. The chintrap fits snugly under your chin. If it doesn't....... snug it up til it does. :smack:
Horseback riding helmets also usually have a head band adjustment to be adjusted to fit snugly around your fore and back of your head. (Not sure about english helments, I think you have to by them by the size, but they do have chin straps.

........and in both cases, NEVER WEAR A DEFECTIVE HELMET!!!!!!

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Maybe you need to go to helmet wearing 101 class!!:lmao: JK

If you are used to wearing motorcycle helments, the concept it the same for horseback riding helmets. The chintrap fits snugly under your chin. If it doesn't snug it up til it does. :smack:
Horseback riding helmets also usually have a head band adjustment to be adjusted to fit snugly around your fore and back of your head. (Not sure about english helments, I thinkg you have to by them by the size, but they do have chin straps.

........and in both cases, NEVER WEAR A DEFECTIVE HELMET!!!!!!

Well, I don't ride horsies anymore and it sounds like the one the folks made me wear was simply a bad fit. The ONLY thing that held it on was the chin strap. :buddies:

My dirt bike helmet doesn't come off even when I'm not wearing the strap. At least at moderate speed crashes. :lol:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Why do some parents think that we wear helmets for looks?! Your child wears a helmet because they WILL fall . . . eventually! Riding is a rugged sport. If you don't want to fall off a horse, don't ride one. I guess some ppl don't expect it to happen.

Sorry, I had to vent.

I don't ever WANT to fall off but occasionally it happens. The older I am the harder the ground feels. I always wear a helmet.:patriot:

poster

Well, I don't ride horsies anymore and it sounds like the one the folks made me wear was simply a bad fit. The ONLY thing that held it on was the chin strap. :buddies:

My dirt bike helmet doesn't come off even when I'm not wearing the strap. At least at moderate speed crashes. :lol:

When did you ride? The helmets used today are NOT the same as 20yrs ago.
They're much nicer and actually work now.

The old velvet style helmet only had cloth to hold it off the top of your head and maybe a little foam for comfort. I have my old helmet on display with other antiques in our spare bedroom.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
When did you ride? The helmets used today are NOT the same as 20yrs ago.
They're much nicer and actually work now.

The old velvet style helmet only had cloth to hold it off the top of your head and maybe a little foam for comfort. I have my old helmet on display with other antiques in our spare bedroom.

Oh, I guess...uh...30 years ago! :yikes:

devinej

yep, helmets now a-days are quite different than helmets 30 years ago. so many types, and they actually protect your head, whereas those old hunt caps don't. look for astm-sei approved helmets - they are the ones that work. you can get any style and color and fit and price range that you want. i am dead sure they have saved me a lot of recovery time numerous times!

SugarNSpikes

I used to hate helmets, but then one day I fell at a show where wearing a helmet was required. I landed so hard on my head that it cracked the helmet in half and gave me a wonderful concussion and all of that. The doctor said that there would have been some brain damage if it weren't for that helmet.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom

There are numerous types of riding helmets. There is the hunt cap which is just for looks and has no strap/harness and has not been tested. Basically it's a velvet ball cap, good for nothing.

Many schools, stables, shows/events require an ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) approved helmet. If properly fitted this helmet will not fly off. :) :yay:

appaholic

I guess I have not had enough excitement lately, because I am sure I will be slamed for this, BUT I hate helmets of any kind! Not that I debate the concept, and I do believe minors should wear them, but I personally hate them. It maybe me, but my husband who has been riding motorcycles for decades(and due to the law wears a helmet) also feels it hinders his peripheral vision. And as far as brain damage you could get that from lack of oxygen to the brain due to...eclampsia! So if your a timid person I suggest you stay away from horses, motorcycles and sex too!

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I always wear my helmet. I have fallen off one two many times and the helmet has kept me from getting hurt. I still have gotten my bell rung but still can eat, feed myself, and talk.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I guess I have not had enough excitement lately, because I am sure I will be slamed for this, BUT I hate helmets of any kind! Not that I debate the concept, and I do believe minors should wear them, but I personally hate them. It maybe me, but my husband who has been riding motorcycles for decades(and due to the law wears a helmet) also feels it hinders his peripheral vision. And as far as brain damage you could get that from lack of oxygen to the brain due to...eclampsia! So if your a timid person I suggest you stay away from horses, motorcycles and sex too!

I hate seat belts. Lets stop using them. Big brother has been trying to protect us too long. And hand guns, every child should learn to use one. Lets educate our children about sex as soon as possible. Who needs condoms? They are only 97% effective anyway. Why should we set age limits on drinking and driving? And how about legalizing drugs? Let's just use common sennse! "Why do we need big brother?":killingme