Parents: Helmets!!!! FYI

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I should have corrected that statement to say MY horses. Not all. :deadhorse

But like I said I take the risk not wearing my helmet and it's my fault if I get injured. :otter:

But I am one of those typical QH people who believes in working a horse hard and tieing it to it's stall if it's not behaving, and spurs with rowls on them, and keeping my horses head dead to the ground. Different types of riding have different views.

Almost any AQHA person would say just about the same thing I did.

BE CAREFUL OF WHO YOU INSULT!!!!

Back in the day, most folks did not wear helments. But many lessons have been learned by MOST folks, that wearing a helment can prevent serious injury if you are thrown or you fall off a horse. Today, most folks wear helments when engaguing in sports with a high risk of falling. skateboarding, bicycling, and equestrian sports etc... I don't always wear my helment either. I always wear my helment....... on trails I am unfamiliar with. ... while riding in a ring. ...when I am training a horse do something new. ...when I am working with an unfamiliar horse.

It isn't the well trained horse you need protection from. Like many have said in the past posts, IT IS THE UNEXPECTED!!!!

Your safety is YOUR responsibility. But sometimes the decisions you make effect others. Hopefully you will make the right decision at the right time.

Wishing you safe riding.:peace:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Like I said in the eariler post:
Today, most folks wear helments when engaguing in sports with a high risk of falling. skateboarding, bicycling, and equestrian sports etc...

A SIDE NOTE:
Horse riding population differs from the bicycling population in the reason why helmets are not always worn. While helmet use in both sports is proven to prevent injuries, many cyclists were unaware of this. Equestrians, on the other hand, appear to recognize the safety advantage but avoid helmet use secondary to strong negative attitudes toward them. Many of the surveyed riders in the past believed that they were not at risk because they were experienced riders , had a docile horse, or they rode on flat ground at a moderate pace.

Helmets for equestrian use have been available for the past 50 years. Because of the large number of head injuries associated with the sport, several equestrian organizations began requiring the use of approved helmets during competition. These included the American Horse Shows Association, U.S. Combined Training Association, the U.S. Equestrian Team, and the U. S. Pony Club. Since the majority of head trauma occurs during recreational activities, riders must be cognizant of the importance of helmet use during all activities, not just during competition. In the past, another obstacle to helmet use was the cost (approximately $100.00-150.00). Because helmets are tightly fitted to the head, they are outgrown quickly in the younger population. A helmet was usually required for every individual in the family. Nowadays Helmets are much more affordable, lighter weight yet stronger and have adjustable sizes to accommodate the growing child or multiple users.

NO MORE EXCUSES for neglecting your noggin

Last edited:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I thought of one, don't understand why it was so hard to remember, it happened recently! I am getting old!:cds:
And right up front I am talking dumb things to do - so please don't think I would suggest this or even tell my children some of the things I do. Parenthood comes with selected truth telling, I even think I received and official document with the birth certificate!:killingme
Neighbors horse got out so I loaned them my halter and lead, later I wanted to put my own in but my halter and lead was not back yet so went to get spare only to find out that my sweet children had rearranged said items and I could not find it.:burning: Lovely, I could go home and get spare #2 = smart choice, but...I decide lets grab Turbo by his beautiful long tail pull it into two long lines an drive him to the barn! Well, he turns around and looks at me like what I endure for food! But he walked to the barn like a gentleman, he could have kicked my face in! Most of the time he is a great horse, I just want us to get it together when it really counts!

When my cousin and I were kids we used to get on the horses backwards and bareback and canter the horses up and down the center isle center block barn and try to push each other off! We didn't think about wearing helmets. I can remember failing to push my cousin off as she cantered past me and I fell onto my horses butt which made him buck and off I went into the concrete wall. The game stopped there. I can't remember playing that game anymore.

Many times I was dumb enough to hop on the loose horse too close to the fence and it would take off with me to the barn and fling me into the fence. It was fun when I didn't fall though!:yahoo: Trust me my x-rays don't look normal. :killingme

FrmGrl

Get some!
No worries for those that dont wear helmets. I have seen many of those with the same attitude come in my place of business. Now ask me where that is. Oh yes, Shock Trauma!! When you wake up with your head wrapped and a tube stuffed down your throat because your well trained horse had a loose dog come running under their legs you might change your mind. However, I ride my crazy arse mare sometimes without a helmet too so I am just as guilty. And if I wake up with that tube it will be MY fault. I know better. We all know better its just a matter of what will it take to get it to sink in. And as for my motorcyle....Full face all the time. At Shock Trauma in the summer all we saw were head injuries on bikes. Even with a helmet....not such a good turnout in the end for most of them. What is it the great Forrest Gump said....Stuipid is as Stupid does I guess!

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I will just continue to wear my helmet no matter what I ride. Even when my horse is so lazy that I need a crop & spurs to get him to walk. He can still spook or get stung.

FYI: I also have a trained to the max horse that continues to be trained.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I should have corrected that statement to say MY horses. Not all. But like I said I take the risk not wearing my helmet and it's my fault if I get injured.

But I am one of those typical QH people who believes in working a horse hard and tieing it to it's stall if it's not behaving, and spurs with rowls on them, and keeping my horses head dead to the ground. Different types of riding have different views. Almost any AQHA person would say just about the same thing I did.

AQHA RULE BOOK EXCERPT:

445. ATTIRE
(a) In halter, speed events, team penning and other western
classes, appropriate western attire is required which includes pants
(slacks, trousers, jeans, etc.) long sleeves and collar (band, standup,
tuxedo, etc.) western hat and cowboy boots. Special exception
because of religious reasons or physical handicap must be requested
by filing a written request to AQHA and obtaining written approval
prior to participation. The hat must be on the rider’s head when the
exhibitor enters the arena. Spurs and chaps are optional.
(b) It is mandatory for riders in all hunter, jumper and
equitation classes, including hunter hack,
where jumping is
required and when jumping anywhere on the competition
ground to wear properly fastened protective headgear that meets
ASTM/SEI standards or equivalent international standards for
equestrian use. The helmet must also be properly fitted with harness
secured.
It is optional that an exhibitor may wear a hard hat
with harness in all classes; however, it is mandatory that all youth
and recommended that amateurs wear a ASTM/SEI approved hard
hat with harness in all over fence classes. It is mandatory that all
exhibitors wear a hard hat in all over fence classes and when schooling
over fences.
(c) In all English classes, riders should wear hunt coats of traditional
colors such as navy, dark green, grey, black or brown.
Maroon and red are improper. Breeches are to be of traditional
shades of buff, khaki, canary, light grey or rust (or jodhpurs), with
high English boots or paddock (jodhpur) boots of black or brown.
Black, navy blue or brown hard hat (with harness for youth in any
over fence classes) is mandatory. A tie or choker is required. Gloves,
spurs of the unrowelled type, and crops or bats are optional. Hair
must be neat and contained (as in net or braid). Judges must penalize
contestants who do not conform.
(d) In pleasure driving, the exhibitor shall be neatly attired. A
coat, tie and hat of choice may be worn. No part of the exhibitor’s
legs may be exposed above mid-calf.
(e) Judges, at their discretion, may authorize adjustments to
attire due to weather-related conditions.

Last edited:

appaholic

AQHA RULE BOOK EXCERPT:

445. ATTIRE
(a) In halter, speed events, team penning and other western
classes, appropriate western attire is required which includes pants
(slacks, trousers, jeans, etc.) long sleeves and collar (band, standup,
tuxedo, etc.) western hat and cowboy boots. Special exception
because of religious reasons or physical handicap must be requested
by filing a written request to AQHA and obtaining written approval
prior to participation. The hat must be on the rider’s head when the
exhibitor enters the arena. Spurs and chaps are optional.
(b) It is mandatory for riders in all hunter, jumper and
equitation classes, including hunter hack,
where jumping is
required and when jumping anywhere on the competition
ground to wear properly fastened protective headgear that meets
ASTM/SEI standards or equivalent international standards for
equestrian use. The helmet must also be properly fitted with harness
secured.
It is optional that an exhibitor may wear a hard hat
with harness in all classes; however, it is mandatory that all youth
and recommended that amateurs wear a ASTM/SEI approved hard
hat with harness in all over fence classes. It is mandatory that all
exhibitors wear a hard hat in all over fence classes and when schooling
over fences.
(c) In all English classes, riders should wear hunt coats of traditional
colors such as navy, dark green, grey, black or brown.
Maroon and red are improper. Breeches are to be of traditional
shades of buff, khaki, canary, light grey or rust (or jodhpurs), with
high English boots or paddock (jodhpur) boots of black or brown.
Black, navy blue or brown hard hat (with harness for youth in any
over fence classes) is mandatory. A tie or choker is required. Gloves,
spurs of the unrowelled type, and crops or bats are optional. Hair
must be neat and contained (as in net or braid). Judges must penalize
contestants who do not conform.
(d) In pleasure driving, the exhibitor shall be neatly attired. A
coat, tie and hat of choice may be worn. No part of the exhibitor’s
legs may be exposed above mid-calf.
(e) Judges, at their discretion, may authorize adjustments to
attire due to weather-related conditions.

It may be recommended by the rule book but very, very few wear astm helmets, except the jumping peeps. And there are some very good horse peeps in attendance at most breed shows. I have a comment and question it seems to me that a lot of breed show people especially of stock breeds have been influenced by the "western" america but I am curious concerning the rules for upper level dressage which only wear the derby or top hat. Or drivers who are dealing with horses on a hard sufface...?

appaholic

When my cousin and I were kids we used to get on the horses backwards and bareback and canter the horses up and down the center isle center block barn and try to push each other off! We didn't think about wearing helmets. I can remember failing to push my cousin off as she cantered past me and I fell onto my horses butt which made him buck and off I went into the concrete wall. The game stopped there. I can't remember playing that game anymore.

Many times I was dumb enough to hop on the loose horse too close to the fence and it would take off with me to the barn and fling me into the fence. It was fun when I didn't fall though!:yahoo: Trust me my x-rays don't look normal. :killingme

THats funny!:lmao: Sometimes good fun is truely bad for ones health. Do any of you remember the rope race where there was one less rope than horse/rider team and you would string them across one end of the arena and then all the teams would race to get a rope, pushing/pulling each other off?! Much like musical chairs on horseback! That was so fun!:yahoo:

appaholic

No worries for those that dont wear helmets. I have seen many of those with the same attitude come in my place of business. Now ask me where that is. Oh yes, Shock Trauma!! When you wake up with your head wrapped and a tube stuffed down your throat because your well trained horse had a loose dog come running under their legs you might change your mind. However, I ride my crazy arse mare sometimes without a helmet too so I am just as guilty. And if I wake up with that tube it will be MY fault. I know better. We all know better its just a matter of what will it take to get it to sink in. And as for my motorcyle....Full face all the time. At Shock Trauma in the summer all we saw were head injuries on bikes. Even with a helmet....not such a good turnout in the end for most of them. What is it the great Forrest Gump said....Stuipid is as Stupid does I guess!

I was at the pediatricians office with one of the boys this afternoon, and he is no better for in his off time he likes to go 4 wheeling. And several of the members of Pax Velo bike club are Doctors and they might have a helmet on but I have seen them in the ER with several broken bones.

duchess1

Like Appaholic I don't wear my helmet either unless I feel the need. I personally think it's a choice to riders. I just became an adult and have been riding without for 3 years. My parents normally do not say much because they know that I can read a horse better then them and know when its safe or not. Yes, there are those unexpected times but you take that risk. I'll wear my helmet jumping and if my horse has had a good long break but otherwise I do not. Like App said if you pay good money for a properly trained horse you shouldn't need to worry about the unexpected because those horses know their job and know not to mess it up and not focus on it. A horse who is focused on work normally will not have the unexpected moments.

Caution!!!! The above quote is one of the DUMBEST you will ever read! LOL!!
That is just the mosted twisted way of looking at this situation! You may be an adult but you have a lot of maturing to do. And your comment just proves your lack of experience. FOCUSED?!!! LOL LOL LOL (sorry)

FrmGrl

Get some!
I was at the pediatricians office with one of the boys this afternoon, and he is no better for in his off time he likes to go 4 wheeling. And several of the members of Pax Velo bike club are Doctors and they might have a helmet on but I have seen them in the ER with several broken bones.
I can live with a broken arm but a broken head is different. We all rode bikes in Shock Trauma. Those of us that had bikes were nicked name the "organ donors". No one said you cant get hurt doing these things but we were all unanimous in the helmet wearing department. At least we wont likely be vegetables in a minor crash. Although 4-wheeling at 30 mph and a harley at 65 mph are a little different. As I said we all know better but we dont always listen to what we know we should be doing. And by the way doctors and nurses are the worst at these things. We are either super safety conscious or kind of blase` about it. All I know is if I get messed up really bad on the bike or even a horse just let me go. Please do not try and put me back together piece by piece. You are wasting your time!!

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
I hate to assume anything, but I do have to assume the family of Natasha Richardson wishes she had been wearing a helmet. Taking matters into your own hands and taking responsibility for your own actions is great. Then again leaving grieving family members behind is another. I'm not completely innocent in the helmet argument and go to WEF where many of the adults are riding around without one.

Sadie didn't you say there is a law on the books regarding something about helmet use in Florida???

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
That is just the mosted twisted way of looking at this situation! You may be an adult but you have a lot of maturing to do. And your comment just proves your lack of experience. FOCUSED?!!! LOL LOL LOL (sorry)

She's Back..... (poltergeist music playing in the background):killingme

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I hate to assume anything, but I do have to assume the family of Natasha Richardson wishes she had been wearing a helmet. Taking matters into your own hands and taking responsibility for your own actions is great. Then again leaving grieving family members behind is another. I'm not completely innocent in the helmet argument and go to WEF where many of the adults are riding around without one.

Sadie didn't you say there is a law on the books regarding something about helmet use in Florida???

We have a great law that protects horse people in Florida...basically it says...if your stupid enough to be around horses you may die so don't sue!:killingme

appaholic

Sadie didn't you say there is a law on the books regarding something about helmet use in Florida???[/QUOTE
I wonder what the rules for that will be on your own private property? I do not think you have to wear a motorcycle helmet on private property now, not that I let any of my guys go without for the record!
I am mostly all bark, but I guess there is some part of me that REALLY REBELS at being TOLD what to do. I was more conservative earlier in life now I feel if I have to be tolerant about issues I find repugnant other will just have to tolerate me when Im being objectionable! Ok, I guess that is a true sign of getting older. :whistle:

appaholic

We have a great law that protects horse people in Florida...basically it says...if your stupid enough to be around horses you may die so don't sue!:killingme

I like it!:killingme I remember looking at my father-in-law in shock when the parents where in an uproar over some accident with the grandchildren and he said ''well some make it and some don't"! 23 years ago I thought that was a terrible thing to say and extremely blase, now I just think of it and laugh!

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)

As for my maturity.. you don't know me except for this forum so you have no right to judge. And yes focused, if your horse is focused on something outside of the ring you have a problem. They should be paying attention to you only..with I would call be focused. I think appaholic would agree with that.

Also, to the quote about the AQHA rulebook it says jumping classes need approved helmets. You go into any HUS, HSE, western, or just plain schooling you only see no helmet in schooling or hunt caps in classes. Appaholic also said we are based off the western world and that is a very true statement

appaholic

I think forums, computers, text messages... are all at a disadvantage because you are making a quick comment concerning a complex issue which makes misunderstanding common.
IMO I think one of the goals of continuous training (and I think both horse and human should always want to improve) should be to minimize the reacting side of the horse brain so the horse uses the thinking side which should allow him to do his job to the best of his current ability and be "focused". But having a well trained "focused" horse is still NO GUARANTEE that said horse won't behave like the flight animal he is and have a negative reaction. And conversely JUST wearing a helmet will not completely protect one either.

Loper

Animal Poor!
That happened to me within 3 days of owning Turbo, I almost wet my pants! Then I had to engage my own brain, but I was a little nervous I admit! I hope your incident turned out well.

Well, I am still here typing so that is an indication.. :buddies: My deer-jacking turned out fine. :killingme Even though I was the least skilled with the least experienced horse in our group of four when it happened. I had a helmet on and was thankfully in a made for me, Bob Marshall treeless, saddle with a very deep seat! :killingme I wish Quartermom had a video camera when it happened though!