Parks & Rec Parents OUT OF CONTROL

Girlzmom

Went to my daughters B-Ball tourney this weekend, then received this message.
Dear Parents: Sorry to bother you a such a beautiful Sunday morining but we received a call regarding an incident in the stands at your childs game yesterday. The details are very vague but it was alledged that someone was using vulger and offiensive languae in the stands. Who it was directed to or why it occured we do not know. If you have any informatiom about this individual, please lat us know ASAP so we can take action right away.

This is not the first email of the season sent home about the sports season. I didn't witness this particular incident but I have witnessed some behavior that should have resulted in parents being asked to leave. It doesn't seem to be getting any better!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We have lost the power of the peer review. We're afraid to say anything to someone who is acting inappropriately because they might get mad...or they might bus' a cap in our ass. We've also lost our independence and expect government or whatever to take care of things for us.

Look at this situation, for example. Some parent overheard another parent using inappropriate language at a kids sports game. Instead of saying to the culprit, "Excuse me, stop using that language in front of my children," the parent went and tattled to P& R like a little kid.

I understand that most people do not like confrontation, but that's how the idiots get to run amok - because we're afraid to say anything to them and want someone else to handle it.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Dear Parents: Sorry to bother you a such a beautiful Sunday morining but we received a call regarding an incident in the stands at your childs game yesterday. The details are very vague but it was alledged that someone was using vulger and offiensive languae in the stands. Who it was directed to or why it occured we do not know. If you have any informatiom about this individual, please lat us know ASAP so we can take action right away.

This is not the first email of the season sent home about the sports season. I didn't witness this particular incident but I have witnessed some behavior that should have resulted in parents being asked to leave. It doesn't seem to be getting any better!

Looks like the person that originally wrote the message needs to hit spell check before sending.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
if someone was using vulgar language around me (I mean someone not my parents, or whole family, actually :killingme) My mom would have, and did on a few occasions, pull me aside and say, " here, LT, is a perfect example of a trashy person using nasty language in public when it is not appropriate. Let it be a lesson not to do this, or you will look just as trashy and innapropriate"

Innapropriate behavior is an excellent opportunity to teach your child what NOT to do. People are rude and have no manners and no amount of emails will fix that.

frequentflier

happy to be living
if someone was using vulgar language around me (I mean someone not my parents, or whole family, actually :killingme) My mom would have, and did on a few occasions, pull me aside and say, " here, LT, is a perfect example of a trashy person using nasty language in public when it is not appropriate. Let it be a lesson not to do this, or you will look just as trashy and innapropriate"

Innapropriate behavior is an excellent opportunity to teach your child what NOT to do. People are rude and have no manners and no amount of emails will fix that.

Chances are good that even if the people were called on the carpet for their bad behavior, they would justify it instead of admitting any wrong doing. Seems to be the way with a majority of people I encounter anymore.

Pete

Repete
These events are sometimes quite terrible because people simply do not know how to act. The answer is to just boot them from the event along with their kid right on the spot.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Talk to the SMS Coach, some of the parents involved were moved over by him.

Girlzmom

Yes, Parents are surely ruining the sport for these kids. I hear that the boys games are way more intense when it comes to the parents. I have only witnessed a couple. Which was, in my opinion, all I needed to see to know that there should be a Parks n Rec Employee at every game (ready to get involved) and it prolly needs to be taped too. I know it shouldnt come to this, but for the safety of everyone it prolly should, before someone SNAPS.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
These events are sometimes quite terrible because people simply do not know how to act. The answer is to just boot them from the event along with their kid right on the spot.

Why make the kid pay? Boot the parents, let the kid continue to play, and in the future they have to drop their kid off to games and cannot attend.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Why make the kid pay? Boot the parents, let the kid continue to play, and in the future they have to drop their kid off to games and cannot attend.

A few seasons ago, I banned my husband from attending our oldest's soccer games. He would be yelling at our son the entire game to the point where my son would focus more on him and yelling back at his dad to shut up than playing. My youngest has played basketball for two season and my husband has been banned from Day 1 because I know he will just criticize him because he doesn't play as well as the others.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm confused. Was this a Rec and Parks tourney or Catholic schools tourney. :confused:

Perhaps there were two tournaments this weekend. I attended Saturday and Sunday for the Catholic schools.

Either way, parents behaving badly at both venue's is still pretty bad.

sockgirl77

Perhaps there were two tournaments this weekend. I attended Saturday and Sunday for the Catholic schools.

Either way, parents behaving badly at both venue's is still pretty bad.

That's what I was thinking. I know one of the SMS coaches and apparently this is not the first time that this has happened. YEARS ago there were issues with a few LFS parents, but that was YEARS ago. It's a shame. :ohwell:

recandparks

Hello,
This was a Sunday Youth Basketball League tournament (SYBL) and not a St. Mary's County Recreation and Parks youth basketball game; therefore, Recreation and Parks does not have any oversight here. Any comments or suggestions should be directed to the volunteer league; contact information can be found on their website at The Sunday Youth Basketball League of Southern Maryland (www.syblsomd.org).
Thanks for your interest in youth basketball in St. Mary's County.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Hello,
This was a Sunday Youth Basketball League tournament (SYBL) and not a St. Mary's County Recreation and Parks youth basketball game; therefore, Recreation and Parks does not have any oversight here. Any comments or suggestions should be directed to the volunteer league; contact information can be found on their website at The Sunday Youth Basketball League of Southern Maryland (www.syblsomd.org).
Thanks for your interest in youth basketball in St. Mary's County.

Thank you for the clarification. :yay:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Starting this spring season in Northern Soccer, both teams will be on the same sideline and all parents will be on the opposite side of the field.:yay:

inkah

Starting this spring season in Northern Soccer, both teams will be on the same sideline and all parents will be on the opposite side of the field.:yay:

In all our years w/ baseball - I've seen a situation only once where adults at a game were getting a bit out of control w/ their big mouths. I simply said, "Hey dude - these are our kids...chill out." He clamped his hand over his mouth and said, "whoops, sorry".

No biggie. Of course, he slipped a few more times, I gave him a death stare, hand back over mouth...and so the evening went. Haven't seen them since. :)

SMNLL rocks. Good management, good parents, great players!