Patuxent river this weekend

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Had a great time this weekend. Took several kids out on the Patuxent and played "Trash Bingo" on the boat. We made up bingo "cards", and used crab nets to pick up trash all around solomons and the surrounding area. Managed to FILL two garbage bags, pick up part of a TV and a large plastic bottle that had a fish in it! He was too big to get out thru the neck and we had to cut the bottle open to let the fish out! :lol:

Had a great time this weekend. Took several kids out on the Patuxent and played "Trash Bingo" on the boat. We made up bingo "cards", and used crab nets to pick up trash all around solomons and the surrounding area. Managed to FILL two garbage bags, pick up part of a TV and a large plastic bottle that had a fish in it! He was too big to get out thru the neck and we had to cut the bottle open to let the fish out! :lol:

:yay: That's Great!

R

remaxrealtor

WOW!!!! You deserve so much credit for this fantastic idea!

bohman

Very cool. I will pick up trash on the water if I happen to see something floating near my path, but I've never gone out specifically to pick up litter. At least, not on the water, I have made sure to take a bag with me when I take a walk in my neighborhood.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Very cool. I will pick up trash on the water if I happen to see something floating near my path, but I've never gone out specifically to pick up litter. At least, not on the water, I have made sure to take a bag with me when I take a walk in my neighborhood.

My husband and oldest son do that when they go for walks too.

bohman

My husband and oldest son do that when they go for walks too.

That activity is temporarily on hold - daughter is 2 years, and son is 1 week. There is occasionally litter along the street that is simply too nasty to be picked up, & the kids aren't old enough to make that distinction yet. We are still in the "Get that out of your mouth!" phase of life, so I won't be encouraging either of them to pick up trash for a while. :lmao:

H

HouseCat

Late reply to this...sorry. We just bought a boat and want to take it up the Patuxent this weekend. Daughter wants to know if there is anyplace safe to swim on the river? I'm thinking heck no!, but I thought I would ask anyway.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Late reply to this...sorry. We just bought a boat and want to take it up the Patuxent this weekend. Daughter wants to know if there is anyplace safe to swim on the river? I'm thinking heck no!, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Why wouldn't it be safe?

(FYI - you swim IN a river)

Not sure what you mean by safe. There are jellyfish and other boats to think about. Other than that, people ski, tube and swim there all the time. Go up river a ways to get away from the jellys.

LordStanley

I know nothing

Last time I checked, you have to go up past benidect bridge in order to get away from the jellies.

H

HouseCat

Only wimps worry about jellyfish.
:lmao:
(I got stung by a really big jellyfish in Florida when I was younger. I was so sick for days. We never did figure out what kind it was. Probably a sea nettle.)

Thanks for the info, guys.

Aps...I grew up in Florida... there's always something to worry/wonder about there. Just a habit to ask. Never know whats around here.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
:lmao:
(I got stung by a really big jellyfish in Florida when I was younger. I was so sick for days. We never did figure out what kind it was. Probably a sea nettle.)

Thanks for the info, guys.

Aps...I grew up in Florida... there's always something to worry/wonder about there. Just a habit to ask. Never know whats around here.

Sea nettles and jellyfish are the same things. Get stung enough and it doesn't hurt after awhile. Of course, there are different species and we don't have the types that you have to worry about here.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
That's disguisting. :barf: Not into those types of water sports. :nono:

ammonia and uric acid both help neutralize the stings from most marine life.

If you're at a beach on the north side of Guam and you've got a 4 hour hike to the road, disgusting remedies are a viable option

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
ammonia and uric acid both help neutralize the stings from most marine life.

If you're at a beach on the north side of Guam and you've got a 4 hour hike to the road, disgusting remedies are a viable option

In matters of survival, I'm not going to argue that point. In most recreational activites, it's not a big deal to carry some vinegar or meat tenderizer in the car and I'd say that would be a better plan. However, this isn't Guam and if you need medical attention for getting stung by our pitiful jellyfish- and you aren't severely allergic- you need to toughen up.