paxrivers raiders quit playing in calvert?

Zguy28

Why didn't the Raiders just agree to play under St. Marys back in Sept? Not totally sure, but I believe it had something to do with paying for equipment.
I appreciate your willingness to discuss this. :buddies:

Another reason? Raiders are Raiders. If we join St. Mary's we couldn't BE Raiders because SMYFL already has a Raiders.
Yeah, I can see your point, but I think folks could tell the difference between the Hollywood Fighting Blue Raiders and the Pax River Raiders. Or in worst case, Hollywood could possibly change its name back to Patriots like it was at first.

Furthermore we'd probably have to divide up the league into sub-teams to play against the SMYFL teams.
Not sure what you mean by sub-teams...I believe the new St. Mary's County league will have junior and senior teams from each club in each weight class. At least that is what was discussed at the last meeting of SMYFL coaches.
There are correspondances going on now to try to find a compromise, but the road ahead is far from smooth. It's like starting from scratch all over again.
I hope whatever happens, its positive for the kids.

Still haven't heard CCPR's defense for their booting, but it was promised to me via email "ASAP." Sure.
Let us know what they say.

Walt_Kowalski

I didn't want to believe all the rumors. I wish we can save the Raiders. I love the organization. With all the issues that have gone on the last year i think some have forgotten it's a game and about the kids!

adn everyone still waits to find out what is going on and either legue has nothing to say

hollywood33

I appreciate your willingness to discuss this. :buddies:

Yeah, I can see your point, but I think folks could tell the difference between the Hollywood Fighting Blue Raiders and the Pax River Raiders. Or in worst case, Hollywood could possibly change its name back to Patriots like it was at first.

Not sure what you mean by sub-teams...I believe the new St. Mary's County league will have junior and senior teams from each club in each weight class. At least that is what was discussed at the last meeting of SMYFL coaches.
I hope whatever happens, its positive for the kids.

Let us know what they say.

I'm a total SMYFL supporter but that idea of Jr/Sr teams is just plain foolish. Their isn't enough kids is St. Mary's for that to happen. Just have a league, play amongst ourselves, then the champion can go on the the MD State Tournament like the White Braves did this year. This isn't the Capital Beltway League we don't have to play other counties to show how good we are. The champs for each weight division do their thing at home first and then proceed the face other counties (ala the state tournament)!

Last edited:

Zguy28

I'm a total SMYFL supporter but that idea of Jr/Sr teams is just plain foolish. Their isn't enought kids is St. Mary's for that to happen. Just have a league, play amongst ourselves, then the champion can go on the the MD State Tournament like the White Braves did this year. This isn't the Capital Beltway League we don't have to play other counties to show how good we are. The champs for each weight division do their thing at home first and then proceed the face other counties (ala the state tournament)!
The downside though is that when you get first year or otherwise junior level kids competing against seasoned veterans many of the new kids end up quitting.

hollywood33

The downside though is that when you get first year or otherwise junior level kids competing against seasoned veterans many of the new kids end up quitting.

Right but if they quit did they really want to play in the first place?? Maybe "JR/SR" for ankle biters and possibly 70lb, but from 80 on up??? In the MD State Tournament, 80lb on up played "real football rules" (rushing the punter/kicker, etc....).

Calvert fielded 8, 80lb "SR" teams AND 10, 80lb "JR" teams, that is enough to be self-suffiecent. St. Mary's could maybe field 2 "SR" teams, who they gonna play??? Calvert, Charles??? So a team has to travel to be an "SR" team???

theoldone

Right but if they quit did they really want to play in the first place?? Maybe "JR/SR" for ankle biters and possibly 70lb, but from 80 on up??? In the MD State Tournament, 80lb on up played "real football rules" (rushing the punter/kicker, etc....).

Calvert fielded 8, 80lb "SR" teams AND 10, 80lb "JR" teams, that is enough to be self-suffiecent. St. Mary's could maybe field 2 "SR" teams, who they gonna play??? Calvert, Charles??? So a team has to travel to be an "SR" team???

Each club carries a SR. in 80lb and below so if you have 6 clubs you will have 6 SR 80lb teams, if you have more than one team in a weight class @ 80lb and below it then can become a JR. team for that club. 80lb will be your largest division in the county therefore it is one of the most likely to be able to support this philosophy. As for the MD State championship/CBL it also is laid out in this same fashion but with 4 teams supporting a weight class per club, i.e. 80lb division 1, 2, 3 and 4 or you could say SR. JR. Sophomore and freshmen. The higher division (1 or SR.) you play up the more experience players you play against, this is a good system that allows new kids to gain experience before heading off to 90lb.

DaBRAVES

Having senior teams would create a more level playing field and would hopefully stop making running backs and quarterbacks have to be lineman when your team starts winning by too much. That has always irritated me.

Zguy28

Having senior teams would create a more level playing field and would hopefully stop making running backs and quarterbacks have to be lineman when your team starts winning by too much. That has always irritated me.
It more or less does do that. However Hollywood33 does have a point that with only 3 clubs right now, it makes it very thin. At least if there is a 4th club (which I am hearing rumors the it may happen; probably because of this very situation) you would have 4 senior teams and at least 4 or more junior teams per weight division. Hopefully over the next few years, with dedicated volunteers who are willing to put in the quality time, interest in youth football will continue to grow again and there can be 6 clubs or so with full rosters and some new fields etc. Its going to take time, a lot of patience and positive attitudes, and a lot of effort from everybody, but it can get there. :buddies:

DaBRAVES

It more or less does do that. However Hollywood33 does have a point that with only 3 clubs right now, it makes it very thin. At least if there is a 4th club (which I am hearing rumors the it may happen; probably because of this very situation) you would have 4 senior teams and at least 4 or more junior teams per weight division. Hopefully over the next few years, with dedicated volunteers who are willing to put in the quality time, interest in youth football will continue to grow again and there can be 6 clubs or so with full rosters and some new fields etc. Its going to take time, a lot of patience and positive attitudes, and a lot of effort from everybody, but it can get there. :buddies:

You hit the nail on the head!!

hollywood33

"some new fields"-now that's wishful thinking!! LOL

4mykids

2010 youth football

i heard the clubs finally met last night to figure out the rules and stuff for this year.

sounds like things coming together really good and that five year olds will still get to play which is one reason i went with smyfl last year so i am glad about that. my youngest is 4 so it didnt matter this year but will next. once he starts playing i wll have all 4 boys playing.

heard the weight chart will be like charles county. is that the same as we had last year????

someone else told me though that there wont be a hornets club this year. is that true?

Walt_Kowalski

i heard the clubs finally met last night to figure out the rules and stuff for this year.

sounds like things coming together really good and that five year olds will still get to play which is one reason i went with smyfl last year so i am glad about that. my youngest is 4 so it didnt matter this year but will next. once he starts playing i wll have all 4 boys playing.

heard the weight chart will be like charles county. is that the same as we had last year????

someone else told me though that there wont be a hornets club this year. is that true?

i didnt here about a meating but they were suppused to be going to nfl weigts

angelbaby

Google is your friend....Here is SMYFL's website...Southern MD Youth Football League
There is a Hornets club listed on there under flag and tackle.