People Can’t Drive!

TPD

the poor dad
Another accident at Hermanville & 235. How many more before a redesign of this intersection. It’s got to be the worst in the county as far as accidents go.

DaSDGuy

Another accident at Hermanville & 235. How many more before a redesign of this intersection. It’s got to be the worst in the county as far as accidents go.

Only design that would stop the red light runners from killing people is a roundabout.

glhs837

Power with Control
Only design that would stop the red light runners from killing people is a roundabout.

See, I think its far less red light runners and far more left turns into oncoming. So what would help is better signaling for left turns. Its almost always head on or offset head on. Not too many straight t-bones.

DaSDGuy

See, I think its far less red light runners and far more left turns into oncoming. So what would help is better signaling for left turns. Its almost always head on or offset head on. Not too many straight t-bones.
Again, a roundabout solves the problem. And maybe add 1/2 mile of jersey barrier on the middle of 235 to stop those insane left turns. Entry to the gas station can be from southbound 235 and Hermanville Road entrances.

glhs837

Power with Control
Again, a roundabout solves the problem. And maybe add 1/2 mile of jersey barrier on the middle of 235 to stop those insane left turns. Entry to the gas station can be from southbound 235 and Hermanville Road entrances.
It does, but I think the cost in slowing people down and causing congestion is not worth the benefit.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I would have a hard time believing this intersection has not been studied to death and recommendations came up with.

During college, one of my assignments in my Technical Writing class was to perform a traffic study on old Rt40 in downtown Hagerstown and write a report. I remember spending a few of my off days sitting downtown watching what traffic did, taking notes, and writing recommendations.

I have a suspicion this has already been done for this intersection, and the powers that be do not like the top recommendation.

DaSDGuy

It does, but I think the cost in slowing people down and causing congestion is not worth the benefit.
So saving lives is not a benefit? How about reducing property damage and slowing the rise in insurance costs?
I vote for slowing people down and saving lives. I say it is most definitely worth the benefit.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well
So saving lives is not a benefit? How about reducing property damage and slowing the rise in insurance costs?
I vote for slowing people down and saving lives.
Slowing every vehicle through that intersection to 5 mph has a cost. If we all drove everywhere at 20, we could save almost every life. But we don't, we balance risk and reward. At evening and morning rush, a rotary would back that up for a mile or more. Folks coming from Hemanville would never get in in the morning and in the afternoon leaving gate 3 would back up to the gate.

Tech

235 and CRR has far more if you include the approaches.

glhs837

Power with Control
235 and CRR has far more if you include the approaches.
Not sure exactly what you mean by approaches, but Hermanville has three to four crashes a month and I don't think that other intersection does even half as much

Last edited:
Reactions: TPD

Tech

Not sure exactly what you mean by approaches, but Hermanville has three to four crashes a month and I don't think that other intersection does even half as much
I mean the approach, there's couple week in front of the Nissan dealer and the old Pax Inn down to the intersection. Granted the hermanville intersection does have higher speed impacts.

PeoplesElbow

I agree, part of the problem is the way the light works is not consistent. Some times there is no left turn arrow, the light just turns green with no arrow, other times there is an arrow. I watched someone get nailed there one day making a left thinking that their lane would have an arrow.

Someone I know was killed there a few years back, pretty sure the guy that caused that accident was under the influence though.

glhs837

Power with Control
I mean the approach, there's couple week in front of the Nissan dealer and the old Pax Inn down to the intersection. Granted the hermanville intersection does have higher speed impacts.

Those are not really intersection problems, any more than Dollar General or Farmers Market. That's just people pulling out into traffic.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Ever since I had my little one, if I can, I just pull to the right and let the tail gating speed racers go by. No reason to put my little one at risk for someone else’s ego.
I saw a bumper sticker that read "tailgating makes this car go slower" or something to that effect.
But, like you, I try to pull over to let flying jack asses go by.

3CATSAILOR

I see vehicles with all kinds of violations that MSP doesn't bother, I got pulled over for "dim" license plate lights.
Not like I planned to have my car age officer.
Yet tint, license plate covers, exhaust, you name it. BTW, they can hit up cars, but what about bikes.
Some of these azzhatz do the same stuff as cars - revving them up, drag racing - on residential streets.
What Maryland Motor Vehicle Law (MVL) states the amount of lumens a license plate light has to be? I am not familar with that one. If someone wants to be technical, the LED lights on most vehicles today may be considered illegal. Why? Because the lights may be considered excessively bright which would be outside of the MVL.

DaSDGuy

I saw a bumper sticker that read "tailgating makes this car go slower" or something to that effect.
But, like you, I try to pull over to let flying jack asses go by.
Brake checking is both unsafe and illegal. Slowly lifting your foot off the gas pedal is both safe and legal. Tailgate me for any distance and I just decide I'm not in that big of a hurry to get anywhere.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I was told today by a resident of Cedar Cove that they were given a list of actions the State/County are going to take at the Hermanville/235 intersection. Anyone know anything about it?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was told today by a resident of Cedar Cove that they were given a list of actions the State/County are going to take at the Hermanville/235 intersection. Anyone know anything about it?
Green turn arrows would be a good start.