Plan B

ZARA

I'm sure all those parents of teenage girls feel much better about their little girls having unprotected sex, because our government makes it so much more acceptable, now. Thank you for that clarification of the pills intended affects.

What about its social and side affects?

But everyone keeps forgetting, not all kids have good parents that play an active role in their lives.

And for the parents that are good parents and are active in their child's life, wouldn't they take it upon themselves to ensure their kids are properly guided?

If so, then why does it matter because the kids will have the proper guidance from the parent’s and would not place themselves in a situation where Plan B or Birth control even comes into play.

We have to be realistic and look at the whole, not parts of the whole.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I understand your objections but your objections are only realistic when parents / guardians play an active role in the minor’s life.

For the people like me that fall through the cracks, what would you suggest? That is not a sarcastic question, I am being serious.

You had a guardian of some sort didn’t you? When you got sick and required to see a doctor or be taken to an emergency room, and was prescribed medication, someone had to consent to that didn’t they? I’m certain they aren’t going to hand you a prescription for some pain meds or antibiotics on your own. Some adult that had custody of you had to consent.

Let me make something clear… I am not against a 15 year old taking this, or any medication. I don't like that they feel they have to, but that’s not for me to say. I am against a CHILD being allowed to walk into any store and grab this medication off the shelf. I don’t consider it safe practice for a 15 year old to making medical decisions about herself. I don't even think a minor should be sold aspirin or any other OTC drug without a consenting parent/guardian.

Last edited:

Foxhound

Finishing last
But everyone keeps forgetting, not all kids have good parents that play an active role in their lives.

And for the parents that are good parents and are active in their child's life, wouldn't they take it upon themselves to ensure their kids are properly guided?

If so, then why does it matter because the kids will have the proper guidance from the parent’s and would not place themselves in a situation where Plan B or Birth control even comes into play.

We have to be realistic and look at the whole, not parts of the whole.

If we want to look at it as a whole we need to look at the social disease that is so prevalent in our country that allows for a child to fall through the cracks in the first place. Treat the disease not the symptom.

PsyOps

Pixelated
And what exactly is the social disease? Teenagers having sex? Gee, thats been going on for years!

So, you don't consider teen pregnancy a problem? Murder has been going on since the dawn of man; does that make murder okay and we shouldn't try to address the problem?

Last edited:

protectmd

Just because you or others believe that your religious beliefs like "being against birth control or pre-marital sex" should be forced on others, doesn't mean that your religion is right or your beliefs are right. A separation between church and state would include the government not imposing or being partial to any religious view, and forcing that view upon the population. You would argue that the pill isn't safe or isn't "right" for young women to take? Or perhaps thats your medical take on it. In other countries, drugs are routinely sold without a prescription. Antibiotics, etc... are easily purchased in a pharmacy whereas here you are required to spend hundreds for a doctors visit and for the "prescription." Then theres your religious take on it. The fact that you believe that young women shouldn't be having sex at that age. Who's to say they aren't married? Emancipated? Able to make decisions for themselves? Maybe your mad that some young teenage boy got one in on your daughter or family member, so you think that you can fight the entire cause? Im glad they are making this sort of thing more available. I'd rather my tax dollars pay for that than to pay for welfare kids.

So, you don't consider teen pregnancy a problem? Murder has been going on since the dawn of man; does that make murder okay and we shouldn't try to address the problem?

I think it is a huge problem... I think many parents are too quick to assume it has to be the norm that their mentally and emotionally undeveloped teenagers are too animalistic to not be responsive to being mentored in self-control, self-respect and for that matter respect for others. But I think that is a different thread topic altogether...:shrug:

Edited to add that I don't think parenting self-respect and respect of others only applies to those who practice religion.

Last edited:

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I told my 17 year old son that if he thinks about having sex he should picture my mean face. Based on the reaction that I got I think it's going to work. :lmao:

ZARA

You had a guardian of some sort didn’t you? When you got sick and required to see a doctor or be taken to an emergency room, and was prescribed medication, someone had to consent to that didn’t they? I’m certain they aren’t going to hand you a prescription for some pain meds or antibiotics on your own. Some adult that had custody of you had to consent.

Let me make something clear… I am not against a 15 year old taking this, or any medication. I don't like that they feel they have to, but that’s not for me to say. I am against a CHILD being allowed to walk into any store and grab this medication off the shelf. I don’t consider it safe practice for a 15 year old to making medical decisions about herself. I don't even think a minor should be sold aspirin or any other OTC drug without a consenting parent/guardian.

No. I did not have a guardian of any kind and I was never sick. I lived with whoever would let me bunk for the night or the week and this lasted for about two years.

I worked a full time job and paid bills. I managed to hang in school until I was 15 and then dropped out because it was not possible for me to work and go to school at the time.

When I was 16, I worked two full time jobs and had a roommate. Life was good.

People tend to see only what they want to see and forget there is a whole world that exists in the cracks. Some survive, some don't. Overall, the majority end up in jail. I was one of the lucky ones that was too damn scared to do anything stupid to end up in jail. JAIL I understood after watching people I knew being arrested.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Just because you or others believe that your religious beliefs like "being against birth control or pre-marital sex" should be forced on others, doesn't mean that your religion is right or your beliefs are right.

I'm not sure who you're directing this towards, but I don't think religion has been brought up once in this discussion.

PsyOps

Pixelated
No. I did not have a guardian of any kind and I was never sick. I lived with whoever would let me bunk for the night or the week and this lasted for about two years.

I worked a full time job and paid bills. I managed to hang in school until I was 15 and then dropped out because it was not possible for me to work and go to school at the time.

When I was 16, I worked two full time jobs and had a roommate. Life was good.

People tend to see only what they want to see and forget there is a whole world that exists in the cracks. Some survive, some don't. Overall, the majority end up in jail. I was one of the lucky ones that was too damn scared to do anything stupid to end up in jail. JAIL I understood after watching people I knew being arrested.

Wait a minute… You roamed the streets since you were 14? You weren’t in foster care of any kind? People just took you in for 4 years? :eyebrow:

Doesn’t matter, if you needed medical care, you would not have been able to receive it without a consenting guardian. If you had no guardian, the state would have to intervene; you would not have been given care or prescriptions without some form of adult consent.

ZARA

Just because you or others believe that your religious beliefs like "being against birth control or pre-marital sex" should be forced on others, doesn't mean that your religion is right or your beliefs are right. A separation between church and state would include the government not imposing or being partial to any religious view, and forcing that view upon the population. You would argue that the pill isn't safe or isn't "right" for young women to take? Or perhaps thats your medical take on it. In other countries, drugs are routinely sold without a prescription. Antibiotics, etc... are easily purchased in a pharmacy whereas here you are required to spend hundreds for a doctors visit and for the "prescription." Then theres your religious take on it. The fact that you believe that young women shouldn't be having sex at that age. Who's to say they aren't married? Emancipated? Able to make decisions for themselves? Maybe your mad that some young teenage boy got one in on your daughter or family member, so you think that you can fight the entire cause? Im glad they are making this sort of thing more available. I'd rather my tax dollars pay for that than to pay for welfare kids.

Religion has absolutely nothing to do with why I tell my son not to have sex before marriage. My reasons are realistic and logical.
As I put it to my son:

1. Sex is not about physical gratification or “being cool.” Sex is a physical act to demonstrate your love for the person you are with. If you do not love them you are debasing them, yourself, and run the risk of becoming a parent that cannot support their child.

2. I would prefer you to wait to have sex for your wedding night because then you are giving your wife a gift that you will never be able to give anyone ever again. And she will cherish you more than you know for it.

3. Having sex before you have your own place, job, paying your own bills means you are being irresponsible and run the risk of:
A) Me walking in on you- wouldn’t that be fun!
B) Contracting an STD that Ajax won’t take off (We are southern, yanks prob wouldn’t get that one)
C) Having a child that you are not mentally or financially prepared to care for…WHAT THEN? D) Not to mention placing your entire life and dreams on hold (He is studying to become a geneticist) because once you become a parent, YOUR LIFE ENDS and you live ONLY for your CHILD.

MMM_donuts

PsyOps,

One ethical situation that was brought up in a recent class of mine was a girl being raped by her brother, seeking an abortion, and not wanting to tell her parents.

Obviously that's a really extreme and fictitious example but it makes me wonder if laws like this are partially designed to protect those people and to encourage them to seek reliable, professional, discrete help.

ZARA

Wait a minute… You roamed the streets since you were 14? You weren’t in foster care of any kind? People just took you in for 4 years? :eyebrow:

Doesn’t matter, if you needed medical care, you would not have been able to receive it without a consenting guardian. If you had no guardian, the state would have to intervene; you would not have been given care or prescriptions without some form of adult consent.

Never been to foster care and I never needed medical attention. So it was never an issue and I was never placed in a situation where the state could nab me.

No I roamed for 2 yrs, from 14 to 16. At 16 I was considered a legal adult.

ZARA

PsyOps,

One ethical situation that was brought up in a recent class of mine was a girl being raped by her brother, seeking an abortion, and not wanting to tell her parents.

Obviously that's a really extreme and fictitious example but it makes me wonder if laws like this are partially designed to protect those people and to encourage them to seek reliable, professional, discrete help.
It is not fictitious – this chit happens.

1:28 p.m. EDT March 22, 2013
HOUSTON (AP) — A Houston man has been accused of repeatedly raping an 11-year-old neighbor who became pregnant and gave birth this week.
Houston man accused of impregnating 11-year-old

April 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM, updated April 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM
A Jersey City man has been charged with sexually assaulting his own 5-year-old daughter, authorities said in court today Police: Jersey City man charged with raping daughter, 5; bail at $300K | NJ.com

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member

Not everyone grows up in Leave it to Beaverland. Have you driven through Baltimore lately?

MMM_donuts

I don't think this kind of restriction was designed to take authority away from responsible, caring parents. I think it's designed to make up for the other situations where the other outcomes could be deemed much worse otherwise.

I don't know, I'm just throwing that out there.

protectmd

I'd say religion has alot to do with this argument. The fact that the morals being portrayed here are based on religious beliefs, I'd say religion has EVERYTHING to do with it. Whether its your reason why you raise your child a certain way, or why you believe sex to be one way or another. Whatever you determine it to be, the reality is its based on a way of life. Keep in mind that the way you raise your kids, or have been raised isn't the way others have been raised or raise their kids. With that being said, despite the fact that you tell your children "not to have sex because parents make a mean face" doesn't mean that other people tell their children, Look I know your going to get it on, so make sure you use condoms and get on birth control, and if something should happen, here is a box of plan B in the cabinet to prevent a late night expensive trip to the ER to prevent pregnancy.