planting trees in your pasture

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I want to plant trees in my pastures for shade what species would you choose. I need fast growing and non-toxic...any suggestions?

Do NOT plant Bradford Pears. Very invasive and weak trees. Once they cross polinate with native trees, the offspring have NASTY thorns. You should see the ones on Pax. Ouch.

Last edited:

highnote

Trees= less grass. Most trees will make the soil much more acidic, which makes it harder for grass to grow. Then you have horses that like to eat the bark. Or they congregate under the trees, and the wear/tear beats on the tree roots so much that the tree dies. You'll also have seedlings popping up all around. My recommendation (learned the hard way) is not to plant any trees in your pasture. Use the run-ins for shade, plus the natural woods line. But planting more trees inside the pastures is more trouble than it's worth. Plant them along the fenceline (on the outside) if anything.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
If you need to protect the trees from the horses while they grow, you can encircle them with electric fencing and use a portable charger. I agree with the post about the "less grass" part.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Trees= less grass. Most trees will make the soil much more acidic, which makes it harder for grass to grow. Then you have horses that like to eat the bark. Or they congregate under the trees, and the wear/tear beats on the tree roots so much that the tree dies. You'll also have seedlings popping up all around. My recommendation (learned the hard way) is not to plant any trees in your pasture. Use the run-ins for shade, plus the natural woods line. But planting more trees inside the pastures is more trouble than it's worth. Plant them along the fenceline (on the outside) if anything.
Hi H. Its funny u say that...I agree. I used the word pasture but the two fields are actually my dirt lots/sacrifice area.

shilo

Maybe Royal Empress/Paulownia?

I planted one of these just outside the fence line on one of my small sacrifice fields. It is non-poisonous to horses, grew really, really fast, and has dense leaves that provide nice shade. I planted it on the west side and in the afternoon if I have a horse in that field they always go stand under it for the shade. They grow really straight and are not interfering with my fence at all. Beautiful purple flowers in the spring as a bonus.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I planted one of these just outside the fence line on one of my small sacrifice fields. It is non-poisonous to horses, grew really, really fast, and has dense leaves that provide nice shade. I planted it on the west side and in the afternoon if I have a horse in that field they always go stand under it for the shade. They grow realy straight and are not interfering with my fence at all. Beautiful purple flowers in the spring as a bonus.
do you have these pods on ur paulownia...

Attachments

• 2012-06-21_09-56-38_423.jpg
    2012-06-21_09-56-38_423.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 139

Cowgirl

Austrees are awesome, and grow very fast. I saw them after a year and they were SO much bigger than the little saplings they planted.