Plax and the Glock-spiel...

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Most cops don't have a choice what they carry do they?

They just carry what's issued.

That's like saying the Beretta 92F is the best handgun in the world because every soldier in the Army that carries a sidearm carries a 92F

Well most depts. do not, however, some have policies that allow you to pick from a list that they approve.

Again, the Beretta has the manual safety, which is a big factor in them choosing it for general issue. Anyone that has been to any advanced training handgun class can tell you the people always the slowest on the drills are carrying the berettas. That's cause their controls are bad for a fighting pistol.

And if you read Larry's post above mine you can see I was responding to his statement that people who shoot for a living do not use glocks. I contend they do, in fact if you watch the magpul pistol DVD Travis Haley and Chris Costa, two of the most respected guys in the SF community explain why Glocks and those like them make sense for a fighting pistol.

Last edited:

dustin

UAIOE
To each his own, but when i carried in NC, I did so with the chamber empty and the safety off. (it was a S&W 5904, IWB).... and i practiced drawing and working the slide in as fluid motion as possible at the range (and also with snap caps in the house)... a benefit of this is going directly to SA instead of the long DA pull on that pistol

Natron0915

To each his own, but when i carried in NC, I did so with the chamber empty and the safety off. (it was a S&W 5904, IWB).... and i practiced drawing and working the slide in as fluid motion as possible at the range (and also with snap caps in the house)... a benefit of this is going directly to SA instead of the long DA pull on that pistol

As an owner of both a Glock 17 and a 92F I have to say I love them both. I grew up on the Beretta in the military, and bought one the first chance I got. Before moving to the Peoples Republic of Maryland, my carry weapon of choice was the 92F. Mag inserted, round chambered, safety on. I got pretty efficient drawing and flipping the safety off with my thumb as I brought the gun up.

Each to his own which is what makes this so much fun!

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I shot a Glock 22 at a range and really liked it. I liked the composite model because it's easier on my wrist as far as weight goes and I quickly compensated for the kick due to the lightness. I want to get one for myself, but not sure where to go though. Suggestions?

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Well, my thought is if a need arises that you HAVE to pull your weapon to engage.. do you think you'll have enough time to rack a round into the chamber?

If it comes to the point of having to actually pull the gun from it's holster, I would believe it's a matter of life or death, and you have fractions of a second to respond and decide.. Shoot, or Don't Shoot.

Hollywood aside, there is NOTHING gained by going into a gunfight with an unloaded gun.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Hollywood aside, there is NOTHING gained by going into a gunfight with an unloaded gun.

That's like gun safes at home. If you choose to have a gun to protect yourself, family and property, it does NOT belong in a safe and/or unloaded or anything else but handy and ready to fire. We don't put fire extinguishers under lock and key no have them unload.

dustin

UAIOE
Well, my thought is if a need arises that you HAVE to pull your weapon to engage.. do you think you'll have enough time to rack a round into the chamber?

If it comes to the point of having to actually pull the gun from it's holster, I would believe it's a matter of life or death, and you have fractions of a second to respond and decide.. Shoot, or Don't Shoot.

This is a valid point. But I believe I, personally, was proficient enough to carry in this condition and still use the weapon if needed. This decision was partly made because of the safety design on the S&W 59 series being on the slide. For me it was cumbersome to use that safety and I felt I fumbled it too much. I had carried without the safety on and round chambered on a few occasions but decided i was most comfortable with no round chambered. Therefore I carried that way most often.

When/if we move to Hampton Roads area I will probably be carrying a different handgun and could possibly change my carry condition.

To each his own. :cheers: