Please Help HWS

Macluvr

We don’t know if the news has reached you or not, but Tuesday, December 15 an Arlington, Texas Exotic Animal dealer was raided and over 20,000 animals were seized. Current totals are in the range of 26,900. Among these animals were 700+ hedgehogs. Here is a link to one of the articles: http://tinyurl.com/ydsudo5

Dawn Wrobel, a noted hedgehog expert and HWS member, was contacted by a member of the veterinary triage team to help get rescue organizations at the ready for when custody is decided. There have been custody hearings since last Friday, which are continuing. Hopefully we will hear something on Monday.. Then there will be a ten-day waiting period for appeals. At that time, we anticipate that the Hedgehog Welfare Society will be asked to find placement for these neglected hedgehogs.

We are contacting you because we need your help. We need monetary donations for travel carriers and other rescue expenses including food for the hedgehogs while they are being held. The hedgehogs are going through more than 50 lbs of dry kibble A DAY, plus wet cat food. Donations are tax deductible because the HWS is a 501c3 organization. We are also accepting donations of Visa gift cards for gas for drivers of the hedgehog train, donations of Joann and Hancock Fabric Store gift cards for sewing supplies to make hedgie hats and snuggle bags and we need seamstresses to sew them. You can paypal donations to donations@hedgehogwelfare.org or send a check to HWS, POB 242, Chaplin, CT 06235. Be sure to make it “For the HEDGEHOG RESCUE EFFORT”.

We also need foster homes and adoptive homes. If you can help foster a hedgehog or two (or more!), please contact Sheila Dempsey for a Rescue Contact Application. If you can adopt a hedgie or two, please contact Sheila Dempsey for an Adoption Application. We have to produce one type of application or the other on every single person getting a hedgie or hedgies. If you believe you already have an application on file, please write in and ask. We will check for it.

Many of the females will be pregnant because they have been kept in colonies. The HWS will be providing Petfinder ads to help place adults and babies and fielding the adoption applications that result from the Petfinder ads. Please indicate if you are willing to take in a possibly pregnant female. Mentoring is available from Breeders Helping Breeders Yahoo Group (Yahoo! Groups: Search Results) and Kelly Sosik-Hamor (Kelly@hamorhollow.com).

Also, if you can help with transportation, please join the Hedgehog Train (Yahoo! Groups: Search Results). Once we are ready to transport, we’ll be looking for help and this will be the common place to post.

Thank you for your generosity in this new year,
Sheila Dempsey & Cyndy Bennett
Rescue Committee

Please only serious inquiries.

Macluvr

We won the fight in court!! Our hedgies will be here soon! Contact the people above if you would like to help out. :yahoo:

SoMDGirl42

We have one Hedgehog and would be willing to adopt another.

Not to sound stupid, but I've never seen a hedgehog (in captivity). I looked them up, but it doesn't give a whole lot of details.

Are hedgehogs friendly? I mean, can you hold them and such? I'm sure like with many other small animals, the more interaction they have the better they are.

Do they stink? Sorry, but ferrets sink! :geek:

Do they bite?

What do you feed them? I don't want to be out digging up worms :lmao:

kbennett

Not to sound stupid, but I've never seen a hedgehog (in captivity). I looked them up, but it doesn't give a whole lot of details.

Are hedgehogs friendly? I mean, can you hold them and such? I'm sure like with many other small animals, the more interaction they have the better they are.

Do they stink? Sorry, but ferrets sink! :geek:

Do they bite?

What do you feed them? I don't want to be out digging up worms :lmao:

As with all animals they do bite but only if you aggrivated them or if they smell food on your hands. They dont stink unless you neglect their cages. They eat high protein low fat cat food meal worms bugs and pretty much any insect

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I'm going to check with others I know to see who may be interested.

For me no .... if I rescue one more critter that becomes a permanent resident in my home, someone will need to rescue ME :jameo:

We won the fight in court!! Our hedgies will be here soon! Contact the people above if you would like to help out. :yahoo:

Macluvr

I'm going to check with others I know to see who may be interested.

For me no .... if I rescue one more critter that becomes a permanent resident in my home, someone will need to rescue ME :jameo:

Unfortunately all the hedgies have found homes, but then again that is great news! I got my 3 boys last night and will post pictures as soon as I get them. Thanks all that were interested!! :dye:

kbennett

Unfortunately all the hedgies have found homes, but then again that is great news! I got my 3 boys last night and will post pictures as soon as I get them. Thanks all that were interested!! :dye:

hey! not true!! A lot of the hedgies that came in are just being fostered and they still need adopting. They are all male though and some people dont like male animals regardless of the kind of animal

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
hey! not true!! A lot of the hedgies that came in are just being fostered and they still need adopting. They are all male though and some people dont like male animals regardless of the kind of animal

I would take one. Mine could use a companion.