Police accountability

Should taxpayers fire individual police officers?

• Yes

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 31 75.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mabus

Free Rent
An interesting scenario is playing out in the land of Mabus. Tax paying citizens of this area are fed up with one particular cop's antics and have demanded that he be fired. The sheriff refuses to take any action, citing this officer's "impeccable" record of service.

Personally, I don't care for the guy or the way he handles business, but he gets it done.

Should the taxpayers be able to vote him off the force?

glhs837

Power with Control
Nope, you elect the Sheriff to conduct the business of the Sheriffs office. Dont like the way he does it, de-elect his butt next election. Cant wait? Do the recall thing, if such exists.

mamatutu

mama to two
An interesting scenario is playing out in the land of Mabus. Tax paying citizens of this area are fed up with one particular cop's antics and have demanded that he be fired. The sheriff refuses to take any action, citing this officer's "impeccable" record of service.

Personally, I don't care for the guy or the way he handles business, but he gets it done.

I voted "no" because, one, there are not enough people that want to become LEO's, and we need them desperately (the salary is low), and, two, if taxpayers could demand an officer be fired, it would become a circus, plus, the fact, that taxpayers are not qualified to know the ins and outs of our law enforcement system. Sure, there are a few "jerk" officers, but I still applaud all of them. Being an LEO has no glory, long hours, night shifts, beligerant citizens, and danger. And, I have always thought about how tough it must be to be confined to a car for most of the day, driving up and down. Also, I listen to the scanner frequently, and some calls that go through are absolutely ridiculous, and do not warrant that an officer wastes his/her time on. I will gladly continue to pay taxes, and whatever portion goes to law enforcement, is money well spent. Thank you, CCSD and Trooper Barracks "U".

glhs837

Power with Control
Funny, we agree, mama, but not for the same reasons. All of those things don't excuse bad/illegal behavior, anymore than it does for military. No excuse allowed. I expect a higher standard for LEOs, just as I do for military members. If you choose a profession that gives you the power of life and death of others under color of law, you choose to no behave in such a way to lead others to believe you will not behave legally/honorably. And no, honor isnt in the legal code, but it damn well is in the moral code of those who chose such a career, or should be.

mamatutu

mama to two
Funny, we agree, mama, but not for the same reasons. All of those things don't excuse bad/illegal behavior, anymore than it does for military. No excuse allowed. I expect a higher standard for LEOs, just as I do for military members. If you choose a profession that gives you the power of life and death of others under color of law, you choose to no behave in such a way to lead others to believe you will not behave legally/honorably. And no, honor isnt in the legal code, but it damn well is in the moral code of those who chose such a career, or should be.

I have to say I am not familiar with the particular officer referenced here...unless it is Trossbach that I am familiar with because he is connected to Calvert County. I totally agree with the honor/moral code (it makes me think of those FBI agents in Columbia). But, also, no matter how much we want to put our government, officers, or agents on a pedestal, there will always be some form of corruption. It's been that way since Greece and Rome, who are founding fathers looked to for a basis to form our great country.

Last edited:

Mabus

Free Rent
It's not referencing any particular local officer. This is happening in another area of the country. I was just curious about what some of you thought of this.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
There are procedures to eliminating an individual public servant. The rights of the servant must be guarded when someone gets a bug up their butt to try to fire them.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

It's not a popularity contest, you want him gone, prove he did something wrong.

glhs837

Power with Control
I have to say I am not familiar with the particular officer referenced here...unless it is Trossbach that I am familiar with because he is connected to Calvert County. I totally agree with the honor/moral code (it makes me think of those FBI agents in Columbia). But, also, no matter how much we want to put our government, officers, or agents on a pedestal, there will always be some form of corruption. It's been that way since Greece and Rome, who are founding fathers looked to for a basis to form our great country.

It's not a popularity contest, you want him gone, prove he did something wrong.

Mama, of course there will be, but that doesn't mean we ignore it. children will always push the boudaries, learning where the hard limits are. And we as adults are morally obligated to show them where those limits are. Society acts as the adult for adults, I think. And sets the hard limits. And ignores those limits at it's peril.

Melin, agreed.

Folks, I think I know the case Mabus is talking about. Officer was DUI, clocked at somewhere around 150mph. It's not about popularity, but about the citizens thinking the system isnt operating as it should. Like a school hiding behind a zero tolerance policy when it does something stupid like expel a kid for having items he needs to prepare his sports equipment, they believe the department is hiding behind a "discipline matrix".

justiceforall

I voted no. No surprise.

First, I think law enforcement officers should be held to a higher standard of conduct on and off duty. I don't however think citizens understand what we do and why we do things on a daily basis. That's not to say that they are not capable of understanding it, but they haven't been in situations or training scenario's, or received intelligence briefings about things we have and therefore question some of our tactics.

If a police administrator wants to have a citizens advisory board to bounce policy and procedures off of, that’s a great idea to hear from the community. A citizens’ review panel is a different story. I’d say leave that up to the jury where due process is afforded.

Cops are under a spotlight unlike most others. YOU don’t pay my salary. I get paid from the comptroller of the state of Maryland. I have enough family in Maryland that more than cover my salary in taxes therefore you are paying someone else’s salary so get over it. If you don’t like what I am doing, as long as it’s legal fire my boss’s boss. He then may fire my boss.

dontknowwhy

It's not referencing any particular local officer. This is happening in another area of the country. I was just curious about what some of you thought of this.

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about then my vote is YES that this 1 particular Law Enforcement Officer needs to go but I think his immediate supervisor needs to be voted out as well. They are both completely derelict in their duties & not only need to be fired but then brought up on charges themselves & spend quite a bit of time on a prison farm in Mississippi or Louisiana.

And hopefully after November 6, when his immediate supervisor gets voted out, both the LAw Enforcement Crook & his Thug Leader will face the music.

You ARE talking about Eric Holder, right?

mrweb

Iron City

Pardon me, but what to you mean by "those FBI agents in Columbia?" FBI agents do not directly protect the President. The last time I checked, United States Secret Service has that responsibility.They are not the same agency. Pick up a newspaper, watch a combo of news shows, go on the internet for CNN, MSNBC or whatever your pleasure may be, become informed. There will always be a form of those being un-informed. Lastly, you say "who are founding fathers looked to for a basis to form our great country". Just what do you mean? Are you referring to our founding fathers or are you asking about who are the founding fathers? :shrug:

Hank

my war

Are you talking about Deputy Baja? :confused:

Attachments

• cartman-500-x-341.jpg
    cartman-500-x-341.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 73

mamatutu

mama to two
Pardon me, but what to you mean by "those FBI agents in Columbia?" FBI agents do not directly protect the President. The last time I checked, United States Secret Service has that responsibility.They are not the same agency. Pick up a newspaper, watch a combo of news shows, go on the internet for CNN, MSNBC or whatever your pleasure may be, become informed. There will always be a form of those being un-informed. Lastly, you say "who are founding fathers looked to for a basis to form our great country". Just what do you mean? Are you referring to our founding fathers or are you asking about who are the founding fathers? :shrug:

Oops! You are right, I meant Secret Service. Thanks for pointing out my error.:blushing:

This is what I was referring to as far as our Founding Fathers:

They combed the annals of the ancients for examples of governments that worked well—and for those that did not. They knew, well before the philosopher George Santayana was born to say it, that “those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it.”

"These men,” says Simmons, discussing the Philadelphia debates in 1787, “had read and digested Polybius, Aristotle, and Cicero, and they used the ancient luminaries to frame and illustrate their ideas before the assembly…These heated yet erudite debates, along with the Federalist Papers, fairly pullulate both with subtle classical allusions—with which Madison, Hamilton, and Jay assumed readers to be tolerably familiar—and direct references to the leagues—Amphictyonic, Achaean, Aetolian, Lycian—formed by the ancient Greeks in order to achieve political and physical security.”

Not only are the Federalist Papers replete with classical references, but the pseudonyms each of the writers chose for themselves were all taken from the writers of classical times.

Classical Education of the Founding Fathers

Last edited:

mrweb

Iron City
Oops! You are right, I meant Secret Service. Thanks for pointing out my error.:blushing:

This is what I was referring to as far as our Founding Fathers:

They combed the annals of the ancients for examples of governments that worked well—and for those that did not. They knew, well before the philosopher George Santayana was born to say it, that “those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it.”

"These men,” says Simmons, discussing the Philadelphia debates in 1787, “had read and digested Polybius, Aristotle, and Cicero, and they used the ancient luminaries to frame and illustrate their ideas before the assembly…These heated yet erudite debates, along with the Federalist Papers, fairly pullulate both with subtle classical allusions—with which Madison, Hamilton, and Jay assumed readers to be tolerably familiar—and direct references to the leagues—Amphictyonic, Achaean, Aetolian, Lycian—formed by the ancient Greeks in order to achieve political and physical security.”

Not only are the Federalist Papers replete with classical references, but the pseudonyms each of the writers chose for themselves were all taken from the writers of classical times.

Classical Education of the Founding Fathers

"those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it.”

I only wish most folks, to include our Goverment, understood that statement

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I voted "no" because, one, there are not enough people that want to become LEO's, and we need them desperately (their salary is low)

:bs:

Have to throw the BS flag on that one. You could pay them minimum wage and there would still be a waiting list a hundred applicants long for every opening..there has never been a lack of applicants for any Leo job.