Police: Shot fired on jet at Miami airport

itsbob

I bowl overhand
cattitude said:
CNN just reported the guy died.
translates to "GOOD SHOT PLACEMENT". Air Marshals must be bettter trained at marksmanship then most cops.. usually takes 6 cops and 50 rounds or more to kill someone. Money well spent!!

One less criminal to jam up the court system.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
itsbob said:
translates to "GOOD SHOT PLACEMENT". Air Marshals must be bettter trained at marksmanship then most cops.. usually takes 6 cops and 50 rounds or more to kill someone. Money well spent!!
This was the topic of discussion in the smoking lounge. One guy was saying he was at a skeet range with a marshel that was shooting skeet with his pistol. Guess if you're going to be shooting on a pressurized plane, you better not miss.

willie

aps45819 said:
This was the topic of discussion in the smoking lounge. One guy was saying he was at a skeet range with a marshel that was shooting skeet with his pistol. Guess if you're going to be shooting on a pressurized plane, you better not miss.

I sure hope there was a lot of empty space down range.

The guy on the airplane got pissed at his wife, wouldn't take his meds so he got shot.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

Yeah we do this too, but they are set up as targets on the range, not flying through the air like you would shoot skeet with a shotgun. I am not saying that the dude is not a good shot, I am sure he is but shooting a flying skeet with a single projectile out of a handgun no less is damn near impossible. Also no real range would would allow a handgun round to be fired at flying skeet. It is too dangerous because of the angle you would be shooting at would allow for that bullet to travel a hell of a long way.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I dunno.. think enough practice I could do it. Give me tracers to practice with, I'm sure I can correct well enough to hit it fairly consistently, then switch to non-tracer. Start with "rabbits" then move on to "pigeons".

Think I just saw footage of a guy doing the same thing with a re-curve bow.. NOTHING is impossible, and this was the warm up shot for him to shoot a nickle out of the air with the same bow.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I feel bad for the wife.
What a terrible way to lose a husband.

Still, I don't blame the air marshall. I would like to think I'd have done the same thing.

The dead guy was an idiot though.
He knew he had a mental illness. And yet he walks into airport without having taken his medication, knowing full well that he might lose it in an area where security levels are intended to be high. Sure, maybe he can't be counted on to take his medicine because he's mentally ill, but from what I've heard he was bipolar. My limited understanding of bipolar disorder is that people are conscious of their actions even during a mood swing.

Just feel bad for his wife. Could you imagine being in her shoes and watching this unfold? And your cries falling on deaf ears?

I don't know if we've got the whole story yet.
But based on what we know so far, it's a sad situation all around.

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
"When something threatens passenger, crew or safety of airplane, you take whatever steps are necessary to protect yourself," he said. "If they were telling the guy not to reach in the bag, as soon as the guy reached in the bag, that's a situation that necessitates the use deadly force."

:yay: They had no way of knowing what his wife said was true or even WHO she was. Although it is very sad the way it unfolded, but they have to protect the passengers and crew of the plane first and foremost.