Politicians debate ban on spanking

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Parents who spank their kids - even in their own homes - would be slapped by the long arm of the law under an Arlington nurse’s proposal to make Massachusetts the first state in the nation to outlaw corporal punishment.

Kathleen Wolf’s proposed legislation will be debated at a State House hearing tomorrow morning.

If signed into law, parents would be prohibited from forcefully laying a hand on any child under age 18 unless it was to wrest them from danger, lest they be charged with abuse or neglect. LINK

This is soooo not going to pass. The jails are already overflowing, foster care is broken, and frankly it undermines parental rights completely. Then again, nothing the nanny state likes more than growing bigger and bigger and bigger interfering with every aspect of our lives.

ImnoMensa

If this passes , the Nazi's who pass it should just take the child at birth and raise it themselves. Parents have to have the right to decide how to raise their children. It certainly was ok to spank when my generation was coming up and despite what a few may think, us older folks didnt turn out so bad and our little ego's werent ruined by a good spanking when needed.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Teachers should be alowed to smack the little heatherns too. Nothing gets a kid's attention like an eraser full of chalk dust zinged upside their head.

Pushrod

Patriot
Uhhg!!!
No wonder kids are acting the way they do now a days. They haven't learned that there are consequences for their actions! This will just make it that much worse!
I remember when I was growing up having toys like the creepy crawler set, which was a little oven with these metal molds that you poured this goop into, and you cooked it on top of the little oven and it solidified it into this jiggly rubbery shape of different critters such as insects. I learned that if I wasn't careful I got burned. Today this would never be offered on the market because a child could burn themselves on it, and thus they never learn the consequences of being careless with items that can hurt them.

Children are shielded from so much that they never learn how to deal with actual life.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Uhhg!!!
No wonder kids are acting the way they do now a days. They haven't learned that there are consequences for their actions! This will just make it that much worse!
I remember when I was growing up having toys like the creepy crawler set, which was a little oven with these metal molds that you poured this goop into, and you cooked it on top of the little oven and it solidified it into this jiggly rubbery shape of different critters such as insects. I learned that if I wasn't careful I got burned. Today this would never be offered on the market because a child could burn themselves on it, and thus they never learn the consequences of being careless with items that can hurt them.

Children are shielded from so much that they never learn how to deal with actual life.

I had one, too. They do make them, but just look at the safety features.

Attachments

• ccset.jpg
    ccset.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 85

Tina2001aniT

Parents who spank their kids - even in their own homes - would be slapped by the long arm of the law under an Arlington nurse’s proposal to make Massachusetts the first state in the nation to outlaw corporal punishment.

Kathleen Wolf’s proposed legislation will be debated at a State House hearing tomorrow morning.

If signed into law, parents would be prohibited from forcefully laying a hand on any child under age 18 unless it was to wrest them from danger, lest they be charged with abuse or neglect. LINK
This is soooo not going to pass. The jails are already overflowing, foster care is broken, and frankly it undermines parental rights completely. Then again, nothing the nanny state likes more than growing bigger and bigger and bigger interfering with every aspect of our lives.

This my friends is exactly what's wrong with the kids today.......

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

I heard on the radio that the reason this all got started was because some 16 yo girl came home to her mother and told her about her friend getting hit at home. she said "mom, you have to do something". and this is where we are...

BUT. i really think that the whole "ban on spanking" is just yet another over-dramatization by the media. This is a ban on bodily harm to your kid, no matter what the reason. granted, i thought this is already illegal... :duh:? I don't know, maybe i'm just trying to justify it, but i know my parents never spanked me and on more than one occasion this lead to, instead of spanking, defense of myself and near fist-fights multiple times with pops. we wrestled and threw each other around quite a few times in my highschool days lol. i'd still say this was better in the end than having a kid who is afraid of you cuz you hit them whenever they do something you deem "wrong" :shrug: i'd have respected him more if we'd actually have stood up and boxed (which he threatened multiple times) instead of taking the wimpy way out and taking someone who is probably weaker than you, turning them over, and beating their ass. at least be a man about it once the kid gets older lol.

NOW, this doesn't mean that i'm totally against spanking. I'm all for giving a strong slap on the behind, wrist maybe even, whenever the kid is little. In the toddler stage especially, i think its almost needed to keep them in line. its all about control though and not abusing your obvious power over the kid.

Thor

This is interesting I wonder how the folks who supported the smoking ban feel about this.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
parents would be prohibited from forcefully laying a hand on any child under age 18 unless it was to wrest them from danger, lest they be charged with abuse or neglect.
Ok, so say your juvenile delinquent is trying to physically assault you or another person/animal/piece of furniture. The child is out of control, but the law says you can't "forcefully" touch him unless HE is the one in danger...by law, you can't grab him to prevent him from inflicting harm unless by doing so he is, himself in danger.

bohman

I found the loophole. The danger that I am wresting my child from when she gets a smack on the butt, is the danger of being sent off to the monkey house when Mommy & Daddy can no longer stand being around a spoiled brat.

Seriously, people, what a stupid law. All we need is a little moderation; no child should ever be injured by their parents but no child should go through life without a few smacks on the butt, either.

Geek

I found the loophole. The danger that I am wresting my child from when she gets a smack on the butt, is the danger of being sent off to the monkey house when Mommy & Daddy can no longer stand being around a spoiled brat.

Seriously, people, what a stupid law. All we need is a little moderation; no child should ever be injured by their parents but no child should go through life without a few smacks on the butt, either.

Isn't amazing that teachers can keep 25 kids in line with out laying a finger on them? I have had many toddlers in my care over the years and never spanked a single one. Sure, I had to get up off the couch and parent. I had to plan my day so they were learning and exploring in safe situations, but the payoff was confident kids that are polite and friendly. I have seen people hit their kids for hitting other kids. It never makes sense to me. If you can't garner your child's respect with your words then you have a few things to learn.

MMDad

Lem Putt
It's a good thing we have you here to tell us all how we should raise our kids. After all, you are the expert, and we should do everything you say because you wrote it on the intarweb.

By the way, I think it's cruel to make a boy wear crocs, and I am going to petition to have the practice banned. It makes just as much sense as you defending this ridiculous infringement on parental rights.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
Isn't amazing that teachers can keep 25 kids in line with out laying a finger on them? I have had many toddlers in my care over the years and never spanked a single one. Sure, I had to get up off the couch and parent. I had to plan my day so they were learning and exploring in safe situations, but the payoff was confident kids that are polite and friendly. I have seen people hit their kids for hitting other kids. It never makes sense to me. If you can't garner your child's respect with your words then you have a few things to learn.

I thought you liked to be spanked!

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!

Smacking kids around WORKS. And is an excellent deterrent until the kids are intelligent enough to reason with.

Geek

It's a good thing we have you here to tell us all how we should raise our kids. After all, you are the expert, and we should do everything you say because you wrote it on the intarweb.

By the way, I think it's cruel to make a boy wear crocs, and I am going to petition to have the practice banned. It makes just as much sense as you defending this ridiculous infringement on parental rights.

How am I infringing your rights? You can beat the ever living #### out of anyone you want (except my kids). I have never spanked a child and I never will. There are many different ways to parent. Maybe because I taught before I had kids I learned different ways to modify behavior. I respect kids as people.

MMDad

Lem Putt
How am I infringing your rights?
You came into a thread about taking away the right to spank and express your view that there is no reason to ever spank. If you aren't supporting this infringement of parental rights, what was your purpose?

The debate here isn't over spanking or not spanking, it is about this stupid law and if it is appropriate for the state to tell you how to raise your kid. Your post sure as hell sounded like you are supporting the "don't let anyone spank" view.