Politics of Covid-19

TPD

the poor dad
The link @LightRoasted posted above talked about cycle counts with the 'rona testing. I think we have talked about it here in the past.

This is where it gets wild.

“In one paper,” Crowe says, “I found 37 cycles. If you didn’t get enough fluorescence by 37 cycles, you are considered negative. In another, paper, the cutoff was 36. Thirty-seven to 40 were considered “indeterminate.” And if you got in that range, then you did more testing. I’ve only seen two papers that described what the limit was. So, it’s quite possible that different hospitals, different States, Canada versus the US, Italy versus France are all using different cutoff sensitivity standards of the Covid test. So, if you cut off at 20, everybody would be negative. If you cut off a 50, you might have everybody positive.”

David, in his quiet Canadian way, dropped a bombshell in his next statement:

“I think if a country said, “You know, we need to end this epidemic,” They could quietly send around a memo saying: “We shouldn’t be having the cutoff at 37. If we put it at 32, the number of positive tests drops dramatically. If it’s still not enough, well, you know, 30 or 28 or something like that. So, you can control the sensitivity.”

Yes, you read that right. Labs can manipulate how many “cases’ of Covid-19 their country has. Is this how the Chinese made their case load vanish all of a sudden?

So along those lines, Florida wants their labs to report cycle counts on their tests.

“Cycle thresholds” are the level at which widely used polymerase chain reaction test can detect a sample of the COVID-19 virus. The higher the number of cycles, the lower the amount of viral load in the sample; the lower the cycles, the more prevalent the virus was in the original sample.

The more we learn the less control our overlords will have over us.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Since there is now talk of a COVID testing/vaccination ID card going about, ya know, to ostensibly identify the free from the virus folks, I have another idea. Anyone that has HIV/AIDS, since it is a transmittable virus by contact from body fluids, (I'm guessing air droplets and sneeze misting counts), must now wear, in addition to a face diaper, an armband identifying them as HIV/AIDS infected, or in the alternative, have AIDS/HIV Infected printed on their face diaper. Seriously. From what I've been hearing of and what's been written about from the 80's on, that little bugger can kill you. I think everyone should know who has this terrible virus so that they can be ostracized and distanced from the uninfected.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I will NOT be getting this vaccine. I will take my chances.
For assistance if you are confronted by any medical or government goons ....

TPD

the poor dad
If I may ...

Since there is now talk of a COVID testing/vaccination ID card going about, ya know, to ostensibly identify the free from the virus folks, I have another idea. Anyone that has HIV/AIDS, since it is a transmittable virus by contact from body fluids, (I'm guessing air droplets and sneeze misting counts), must now wear, in addition to a face diaper, an armband identifying them as HIV/AIDS infected, or in the alternative, have AIDS/HIV Infected printed on their face diaper. Seriously. From what I've been hearing of and what's been written about from the 80's on, that little bugger can kill you. I think everyone should know who has this terrible virus so that they can be ostracized and distanced from the uninfected.

Great point!

‘Existential Peril’: Mass Transit Faces Huge Service Cuts Across U.S.

In Boston, transit officials warned of ending weekend service on the commuter rail and shutting down the city’s ferries. In Washington, weekend and late-night metro service would be eliminated and 19 of the system’s 91 stations would close. In Atlanta, 70 of the city’s 110 bus routes have already been suspended, a move that could become permanent.

And in New York City, home to the largest mass transportation system in North America, transit officials have unveiled a plan that could slash subway service by 40 percent and cut commuter rail service in half.

‘Existential Peril’: Mass Transit Faces Huge Service Cuts Across U.S. (msn.com) <----link

TPD

the poor dad
‘Existential Peril’: Mass Transit Faces Huge Service Cuts Across U.S.

View attachment 153637 In Boston, transit officials warned of ending weekend service on the commuter rail and shutting down the city’s ferries. In Washington, weekend and late-night metro service would be eliminated and 19 of the system’s 91 stations would close. In Atlanta, 70 of the city’s 110 bus routes have already been suspended, a move that could become permanent.

And in New York City, home to the largest mass transportation system in North America, transit officials have unveiled a plan that could slash subway service by 40 percent and cut commuter rail service in half.

‘Existential Peril’: Mass Transit Faces Huge Service Cuts Across U.S. (msn.com) <----link

more control over the people - cut services that they have come to rely on but use the budget as the excuse.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But the deepest damage inflicted by the pandemic could be to elite prestige. The crisis showed they didn’t have all the answers. The parallels to the Black Death, which arrived in 14th-century Europe from the East are obvious, though Covid’s effects are much smaller. The plague humiliated authority, made cities dangerous, and assailed the unassailable.

The results of this contagion were, however, felt not in mortalities alone but in demographics and psychology, too. Grim experience quickly taught people in the day that Plague decimated cities more heavily than rural communities. … The result was that people fled the cities of Europe in large numbers … precipitating a trend toward de-urbanization far more catastrophic than that following Rome’s disintegration a millennium before …
the democratic nature of death, which steals away both rich and poor, nobleman and peasant, pagan and priest, opened the door wide to a general questioning of the culture on which the Medieval synthesis had rested …Offering little in the way of help—much less explanation or solace—these postulates began to crumble.

It resembles how today’s elite authority suffered. During the Black Death, many people stopped believing the church and secular authority which alike proved powerless to arrest or even explain the invisible menace. Similarly, as the Covid pandemic began, the Third World watched astounded as the coronavirus hit New York harder than Nigeria, London harder than Lagos, Milan harder than Monrovia, etc. The high officialdom of the global world — the American president, the British prime minister, the EU chiefs — proved momentarily helpless against the pandemic. Indeed they caught the disease themselves.

why hasn't the 3rd world been decimated

:sshrug:

Poor African Villages with NO Masking or Social Distancing

Tech

But the deepest damage inflicted by the pandemic could be to elite prestige. The crisis showed they didn’t have all the answers. The parallels to the Black Death, which arrived in 14th-century Europe from the East are obvious, though Covid’s effects are much smaller. The plague humiliated authority, made cities dangerous, and assailed the unassailable.

It resembles how today’s elite authority suffered. During the Black Death, many people stopped believing the church and secular authority which alike proved powerless to arrest or even explain the invisible menace. Similarly, as the Covid pandemic began, the Third World watched astounded as the coronavirus hit New York harder than Nigeria, London harder than Lagos, Milan harder than Monrovia, etc. The high officialdom of the global world — the American president, the British prime minister, the EU chiefs — proved momentarily helpless against the pandemic. Indeed they caught the disease themselves.

First, you must live long enough to become old and fat.

herb749

Because there are so many problems there they don't notice .

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Pandemic Penitents

This specific strategy is no longer in favor among public health officials, but the spirit of the Flagellants lives on. Instead of beatdowns, today’s regulators favor lockdowns, which are less bloody but inflict more social pain. For all the talk about following science, the authorities—and much of the citizenry—can’t resist the primal intuition that a pandemic can be quelled only through public penance. Consider two strategies for dealing with the Covid-19 virus: urge the public to spend time outside in the sun to build up their vitamin D, and to take supplements of the vitamin, repeatedly demonstrated to protect against viral infection; or shut down most businesses, deprive children of classroom education, and order everyone to stay home, a strategy never previously tested and yet to prove effective.

Which strategy would you try first? If you chose the vitamin D, you have no future in the public-health establishment. While a few researchers are touting the vitamin’s potential and advocating government programs to distribute the supplements during the pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control can’t bring itself even to suggest that people take the pills on their own. In its Covid-19 guidelines, the CDC declares that “there are insufficient data to recommend either for or against the use of vitamin D.”

Somehow, though, the “insufficient data” problem disappeared when it came to lockdowns and mask mandates. Before the pandemic, the official expert consensus was against those measures, but the consensus was promptly discarded in the hope that these sacrifices might help. The evidence since then could easily be called insufficient, given the lack of randomized studies and the inconvenient data showing that places with lockdowns didn’t fare any better than the places without strict measures. And given what has emerged about the minuscule rate of transmission in outdoor settings, you could certainly say there’s insufficient evidence to order people to stay inside their homes or to mandate masks outdoors.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
:singer:I will be a martyr, and allow a poor indigent to receive my vaccination. I will suffer the possibility of catching this contagion.
:drama: Thank you.:singer:

TPD

the poor dad
:singer:I will be a martyr, and allow a poor indigent to receive my vaccination. I will suffer the possibility of catching this contagion.
:drama: Thank you.:singer:

Well I was gonna give my vaccine to you since you are an essential employee. Now who do I give it to? hmmm...